• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ghosts Of West Norfolk

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
As some of you may have gathered from other threads, I'm compiling a book on the ghosts of West Norfolk. I'm having some success but I think I've wrung the sponge dry of obvious sources. I've obtained some first hand stories from Facebook members etc but it's occurred to me that people on this board may know some incidents or perhaps know *of* some stories...

Many thanks
Paul

This was a letter to the FT years ago. I know it's the wrong area but Norfolk made me think of you.

FT108: Five years ago two friends told about a ghost they had seen on a suburban road in Bradwell (near Great Yarmouth, Norfolk). Interested but sceptical, I went with them the following night to a passage that bisects a block of houses about two minutes from where I live. They described a "tall man" who would appear at the end of this passage. It was dark, but visibility was good with ample street lighting.

I was told to stare hard at a fence 20ft away, where I could instantly see movement. After a few minutes an apparition came plainly into view. It was humanoid, at least 7ft tall and wearing dark, heaving clothing. It had a white, pear-shaped head with two dark eye sockets as its only features. The head was topped by tight orange hair, flat on top, which gave the face the appearance of being an upside-down triangle. Its arms were very long, almost touching the ground, and it carried a black doctor’s bag in one of its gloved hands.

Despite its malignant appearance, I didn’t feel afraid and watched as it repeatedly took one step forward and then return to its previous position, like a projection. It faded after about ten minutes and my friends commented on how much clearer it was than when they had seen it the night before. One of them was terrified and suffered nightmares for weeks afterwards.

I returned several times, but despite feeling uneasy, I never saw it again. Has any reader seen something similar? Karl Thornley, Gorleston, Norfolk.

That letter appeared in FT #108 (March, 1998), p. 54. The sighting apparently dated back to 1992 or 1993.

This image posted on the Web was described as having come from that FT issue, but I can't verify that.

cb98506cecf08d0c0b1175f1dc88d79a.jpg

That letter appeared in FT #108 (March, 1998), p. 54. The sighting apparently dated back to 1992 or 1993.

This image posted on the Web was described as having come from that FT issue, but I can't verify that.

:oops:

Wow. That brings back memories!

That was indeed contributed to FT by my very good friend Karl Audley. It was seen on a council estate in Gorleston (where we both grew up), East Norfolk. Probably around 1993? Maybe 1994. He was about 19.

He witnessed it whilst he stood at one end an alley one afternoon. He described it as being like a projection. It would flicker...it would repeat movement, a leg coming forward as if walking, but then moving back, then forward...the figure never moved forward.

Interestingly, another friend of ours saw it a few days before and had told him about it, he went there to see it.

It had a profound effect on him too be honest, all of us. And the figure seeped into the consciousness of our small group of friends. We were all very much into heavy drugs at the time and the figure became known to us as Dr. Mumbo. It became something of a totem to us. We were at an outside party with pretty extreme debauchery a few years later and a photo was taken...it was a photo of us friends on a field, bright sunny day...in the background, between some trees, could be seen a very tall figure, somewhat blurred...reminded us somewhat of an Emperor's Royal Guard from the Star Wars series...it was very tall, red all over, seeming masked or faceless, stockier than a Royal Guard. None of us saw it on the day. It made us all feel shocked, somewhat repulsed...not a good feeling. We considered it another possible visit of Dr. Mumbo.

Seeing that image today, for the first time in, I dunno...15 years? Has stirred up a mix of emotions, for sure.

Dark yet wonderful days at that time...and that figure became very much a part of our consciousness. We were musicians at the time, and another version of that drawing was on the cover of our demo album...called "Urban Voodoo", named after the book on Afro-Caribbean magic by S. Jason Black and Christopher Hyatt. As well as being drug addicts and musicians, we were all practising magic...a variety of eclectic forms. It seems that the figure, and our magical workings, and our extreme liminal states were all connected in some sense...something that was never apparent until today.

Seven of us. All dispersed now...three dead...the other four...some of us doing well, some of us not doing so well.

Last edited:
:oops:

Wow. That brings back memories!

That was indeed contributed to FT by my very good friend Karl Audley. It was seen on a council estate in Gorleston (where we both grew up), East Norfolk. Probably around 1993? Maybe 1994. He was about 19.

He witnessed it whilst he stood at one end an alley one afternoon. He described it as being like a projection. It would flicker...it would repeat movement, a leg coming forward as if walking, but then moving back, then forward...the figure never moved forward.

Interestingly, another friend of ours saw it a few days before and had told him about it, he went there to see it.

It had a profound effect on him too be honest, all of us. And the figure seeped into the consciousness of our small group of friends. We were all very much into heavy drugs at the time and the figure became known to us as Dr. Mumbo. It became something of a totem to us. We were at an outside party with pretty extreme debauchery a few years later and a photo was taken...it was a photo of us friends on a field, bright sunny day...in the background, between some trees, could be seen a very tall figure, somewhat blurred...reminded us somewhat of an Emperor's Royal Guard from the Star Wars series...it was very tall, red all over, seeming masked or faceless, stockier than a Royal Guard. None of us saw it on the day, because in the photo it was behind us. It made us all feel shocked, somewhat repulsed...not a good feeling. We considered it another possible visit of Dr. Mumbo.

Seeing that image today, for the first time in, I dunno...15 years? Has stirred up a mix of emotions, for sure.

Dark yet wonderful days at that time...and that figure became very much a part of our consciousness. We were musicians at the time, and another version of that drawing was on the cover of our demo album...called "Urban Voodoo", named after the book on Afro-Caribbean magic by S. Jason Black and Christopher Hyatt. As well as being drug addicts and musicians, we were all practising magic...a variety of eclectic forms. It seems that the figure, and our magical workings, and our extreme liminal states were all connected in some sense...something that was never apparent until today.
So it was sent in by your mate! What're the chances, eh!
And what superb triangulation for @DrPaulLee too. :cool:

Well, it's certainly grown. The first map shows the locations in the first edition. The second shows how it is currently.
The numbers/letters are placeholders for page numbers btw.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1690279710650.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690279710650.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
  • FB_IMG_1690279716360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690279716360.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 20
Back