• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Girl That Wasn't There—Or Was She?

I don't think it's a little girl, I think it's a young woman, probably leaning down. The earring and what looks to me like a necklace, plus the hairstyle, suggest someone around early 20s.
Which would nicely do away with wondering why a child was away out there on their own.

I first thought the hooped things were sunglasses which she was holding in her mouth

I first thought the hooped things were sunglasses which she was holding in her mouth

The sunglasses theory occurred to me, too. I wondered if she was hanging them from one ear - a tactic I've seen used as a rare alternative to the 'perch them atop your head' approach.

The sunglasses theory occurred to me, too. I wondered if she was hanging them from one ear - a tactic I've seen used as a rare alternative to the 'perch them atop your head' approach.
Looking at the picture sideways (which I can't really believe I'm doing!), it looks like the 'lenses' are too small for sunglasses, maybe half the diameter or so than I'd expect, even given the low-res nature of the pic. Don't know what they are, mind...

Could it be a plait?
. Doubtful.

The dark disk effect really look unnatural.

Best theory (I feel) is hoop-under-hoop ear-rings, but instead of the standard empty hoop, filled with the two dark disks that are so evident in the picture.

All done then ?

(if it had been a dog with a stick in its mouth by the pony instead a girl, this would have dragged out for another 300 posts)

Loch Ness Monsters and their cats - what are they like !

. Doubtful.

The dark disk effect really look unnatural.

Best theory (I feel) is hoop-under-hoop ear-rings, but instead of the standard empty hoop, filled with the two dark disks that are so evident in the picture.
I am sure it is just her hair which is a bit curly. You can see the start of the curls on top of her head. The dark disks are just an artifact from a camera that is not pro grade. You can see the disk effect elsewhere in the landscape. There are similar dark patches elsewhere in her hair.

Back