• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Goat Thread

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Why Do Severed Goat Heads Keep Turning Up in Brooklyn?

At the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Ninth Street in Brooklyn, the heart of Park Slope’s tree-lined prosperity abruptly gives way to grittier windswept blocks that march south to Sunset Park and west to the Gowanus Canal. Trucks and cars speed down Ninth Street as dusty construction workers, sharply dressed professionals, nannies with strollers, and roughhousing teens hustle across Fifth Avenue, all on their way to somewhere else. Perhaps this neither-here-nor-there-ness explains why two skinned goat heads that appeared without explanation above the intersection last November remained there for days. The heads were tied together at the base of the skull with twine and slung over a light pole on the intersection’s northeast corner. After at least four days, an employee from a nearby car service knocked the goat heads down with a pole and threw them in a garbage can.

Or maybe the sluggish reaction to the Park Slope goat heads signals the extent to which such discoveries have become a routine occurrence in the area. Severed goat heads keep turning up in nearby Prospect Park. Last year alone, readers sent the blog Gothamist photographic evidence of three goat heads found in the park. (In all of these cases, the goat heads had their skin still attached.) Gothamist seems to be experiencing something like goat-head fatigue, judging from the increasingly nonchalant tone of its goat-head coverage. Pretty soon it will probably take a cow head to get them excited. "It's New York,” one spectacularly unimpressed passerby told DNAinfo. “I've seen the towers come down, so beyond that, nothing really stings that bad.” ...

The mystery continues to grow. Just this week, a woman walking her dog found a gnarly severed goat head in a Prospect Heights park. Across the country, in Sacramento, there's been a similar decapitated-animal spree. ...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/03/mystery-of-the-prospect-park-goat-heads.html

It's just some Carribbeans having a laugh. After making goat curry, they had to find a way to dispose of the heads.

Perhaps playing buzkashi has become popular there.

Love the name: Buttercups Sanctuary for Goats.

Scientists have found that goats are drawn to humans with happy facial expressions.

The result suggests a wider range of animals can read people's moods than was previously thought.

The team showed goats pairs of photos of the same person, one of them featuring an angry expression, and the other a happy demeanour.

The goats in the study made a beeline for the happy faces, the researchers report in the journal Open Science.

The result implies that the ability of animals to perceive human facial cues is not limited to those with a long history of working as human companions, such as dogs and horses.

Instead, it seems, animals domesticated for food production, such as goats, can also decipher human facial cues.

The study was carried out at the Buttercups Sanctuary for Goats in Kent, UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45336330

I bet Satanists are flocking to the town.

A herd of goats has turned up in a town centre after bad weather drove the animals from their hilly home.

Some of the wild herd of 122 Kashmiri goats on the Great Orme in Llandudno have wandered into the town. They have been spotted holding up traffic and nibbling flowers in people's gardens. Conwy council said: "Generally it is at this time of year that the goats come down to much lower ground because of the bad wet weather." Llandudno residents said this was the furthest the herd had ventured into the town.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47535311

A herd of goats has turned up in a town centre

I don't think they are quite in the town centre, going by the photos. It looks like the residential area on one side of the Orme. It's where you see a lot of tourist traffic turning back, when they realise they can't drive down the sea-front that way! Those residents are well-used to the sight of a lot of aimless, feral visitors! :evillaugh:

Last edited:
The Mayor is a goat, no kidding (except in the playground).

FAIR HAVEN, Vt. — When she had finished relieving herself on the hallway floor, the newly elected mayor stepped forward, gathered herself, and strode purposefully into the Town Hall meeting room, ready for her big moment.

It was a Tuesday night, and the new mayor — a 3-year-old, droopy-eared Nubian goat named Lincoln — had drawn a crowd. A few dozen townspeople had packed into the small space for the goat’s official swearing-in. Camera-wielding TV reporters jostled for position. Others craned their necks for a look at the animal draped in a mayoral sash and wearing a bell collar.

Since the goat’s March 5 election, this is pretty much how it has gone — in this bedroom community of 2,500 people in western Vermont, and far beyond. Town Manager Joe Gunter has taken dozens of calls from media outlets across the world, from Fox News to The Japan Times.

The idea for an honorary pet election had been Gunter’s, a way to raise money for a new playground, and Lincoln the goat beat out a crowded field of 16 local candidates that included a dog named Sammie and a gerbil named Crystal, this despite a limited political background and no discernible platform. Each entrant paid a fee that went toward the playground.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...f9e0O/story.html?camp=breakingnews:newsletter

Be like Billy, Billy avoids the dentist. It's the tooth!

Why dirt-eating goats never need to visit the dentist
By Lakshmi SupriyaJun. 21, 2019 , 12:50 PM

For goats, a side dish of sand and dust is the normal accompaniment for a hearty meal of grass and plants. But despite their constant chomping, goat teeth never seem to wear down.

To figure out why, researchers fed 28 goats diets with different amounts of grit for 6 months. After 3 months, the team examined the stomach contents of all the goats using computed tomography (CT); 6 months later, they slaughtered the goats and analyzed the contents of their digestive tracts.

The CT scans and dissections revealed that the sand was not equally distributed in the goat guts. Instead, it seemed to collect in goats’ lower stomachs. Like cows and other ruminants, goats have a four-compartment stomach: Large pieces of food go into the upper compartment, where they are regurgitated for chewing, and small pieces of food go straight to one of the lower stomachs for digestion.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...ly_2019-06-21&et_rid=394299689&et_cid=2871040

A goat stampede

About 200 bah-bah bandits took off on hoof and ran through the Issaquah Highlands Tuesday evening before they were corralled by a herder and a border collie named Nessie.

The goats had spent about three weeks in the Issaquah Highlands eating vegetation on slopes that are difficult for machines to get to, said Craig Madsen, owner of Healing Hooves Natural Vegetation Management. Madsen thinks one goat hit another goat and knocked over a fence around 6 p.m. That set off the escape.

And when one goat goes, he added, they all go.

“Goats are goats,” he said. “They’re not like a machine you can turn on and off. They have a mind of their own.”

A YouTube video posted by a resident shows the goats running along 33rdAvenue Northeast, accompanied by at least one very excited-looking dog.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...VsTK3c5hDeWjl__QqdcHlQIvqqVO9J-BSxYq9w2Y8b2SM

And now it's the Nigerian Goat Scam.

ODESSA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman has filed a lawsuit seeking either a paternity test on her goats or a refund — and she’s not kidding.

Kris Hedstrom filed the suit against her neighbor, Heather Dayner, last month seeking DNA for the goats she purchased. Hedstrom paid Dayner $900 for five Nigerian dwarf goats in December.

According to the lawsuit, Hedstrom believed the goats — Bella, Gigi, Rosie, Zelda and Margoat — could be registered with the American Dairy Goat Association, a group that records goat pedigrees. Registered goats have higher values than unregistered goats.

https://apnews.com/5f401def0c3b5086266861682f7a0688

The flying nun has a sidekick!

I always thought Sister Bertrille could use a sidekick as she flew on missions around San Juan, Puerto Rico. This goat with 19-inch ears would make the perfect animal companion. "When lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag, anything can fly."
1655905196665.png

https://boingboing.net/2022/06/22/baby-goat-born-with-19-inch-ears.html

Meanwhile, in Ukraine ... Local goats are attacking and wounding Russian invaders, however inadvertently ...
Goat accidentally neutralises several invaders in Zaporizhzhia Oblast

A nanny goat has injured several Russian servicemen by triggering their tripwires with pinned grenades in the village of Kinski Rozdory in Zaporizhzhia Oblast. ...

A total of 40 invaders have been stationed at the medical institution in Kinski Rozdory.

The Russian military installed a "circular defence" and placed tripwires around the perimeter of the hospital.

The aggressors regretted this decision after a goat from a neighbouring farm decided to pay a visit to the hospital.

As the frightened animal moved chaotically around the area, she accidentally "disposed of" several grenades. ...

The unexpected "guest’s" actions triggered a chain reaction, wounding several Russian soldiers to varying degrees.

It is not currently known whether the goat survived the incident.
FULL STORY: https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/06/20/7353684/

Attack goats? I've heard of everything now.

Growing up on a farm I never saw the point of a goat. OK there are some parts of the world with desert scrub where little else can thrive. In France anyone with a 10 acre small-holding and a goat is defined as a Farmer and eligible for agricultural subsidies. A Nanny-goat could feasibly provide milk and ultimately cheese (ughh) but you would need a herd. But a Billy-goat is belligerent (gruff), prone to butting, standing on things, staring at you in a funny way, escaping into gardens where it eats everything except for grass and weeds - and above all it stinks ! Caproic acid (hexanoic acid) that stays on the hands or clothing for days.
My father bought a Billie-goat and stuck it in with the calves over-wintering in the shed as a prevention of viral pneumonia (common in conditions of poor ventillation). This worked and is another example of centuries-old 'coincidences' that Farmers insist on believing in even though no-one in the Science Club has verified it. The calves, however, looked very sorry for themselves and I swear their eyes were streaming. Goat ended up in the local Restaurant as is their natural evolution.

When I was a kid we lived on a farm and had goats. My uncle brought us 3 does and one billy goat babies. They were so young we had to bottle feed them. They were a lot of joy to my mother. The billy goat became meat in the freezer and the other 3 were milked. We were allergic to cows milk so it worked out well. My mother even won blue ribbons at the state fair for her goats.

When I was in high school my parents bought a bording kennel and we got more goats and inherited a mule. The goats were smart and when they got bored they would do weird things to get the dogs in the kennel barking, then innocently watch us when we went to investigate. Eventually I found that they had a tunnel covered in leaves to get in and out of their pen.

Back