• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Golden Eagle (Cursed Car; Maine; Inspiration For 'Christine'?)

I seem to recall finding a website a good few years ago created by Wendy Allen, the owner of that 'posessed Dodge', who also styled herself as an author.

There were a lot of lurid claims made about grisly deaths suffered by those with any connection to the car, however tenuous, and I couldn't work out whether it was all a weird joke or written with serious intent.

Given that the owner appeared to be actively living in the vehicle at that time, it seemed that her circumstances (and possibly her mental health) weren't all that great. My take on it was that the stories were made-up, or at least wildly exaggerated, and probably had their genesis in Stephen King's 'Christine' novel.

I later heard about the Dodge being stolen and cut up, supposedly by a church group seeking to drive out its diabolical influence from the community (on a second attempt - from the story I picked up, all members of the first effort to break it up in situ mysteriously died soon after), and about the subsequent efforts of the owner to retrieve the remains and somehow reassemble it into a car again.

This broadly squares with the video's timeline of events, though I found the assertion that the church group cut the car up and then sold the pieces to local businesses particularly implausible - though I'd be intrigued to know how that particular sales pitch went...

While certainly a gripping enough story, and related in the video above in a more coherent way than on the original website, there's a certain 'boggle point' beyond which it all just seems a smidge far-fetched... the video does at least reference names and dates, and stresses that they do check out, which is more than I gained from Allen's website.

Personally, I find the Golden Eagle tale about as convincing as its British counterpart - ARK666Y, a rather ratty-looking 1982 Ford Capri 1.6L which was allegedly demonically possessed.

Going by its own website - itself a magnificent tribute to early 2000s web design - the 'proof' of this demonic involvement amounted to some general unreliability (hardly uncommon in an old Ford; I've owned a few), the owner's garden shed catching fire, and his wife saying she saw a ghost sitting in the back.

Oh, and the owner who promoted all this just so happened to be a guy who bought and sold 'cherished number plates' - but I'm sure it was in no way a stunt to try and boost the value of a fairly worthless plate that just so happened to have 666 in it...

Here's a brief video clip showing ARK666Y - which looks like it's been filmed on a camcorder from a TV broadcast.

Possibly taken from an old episode of Fortean TV?

I should advise that there's A LOT of information on the site - but I'll leave it up to you to decide on its veracity.

Without wanting to sound patronising, I've no doubt it's all very real to the author - but I find that claims that the car could drive at speeds of 230mph, along railway tracks, with the tyres completely shredded, to be stretching both physics and credulity.

Interestingly, there's a few sections of the website which directly contradict the YouTube video: the story goes that the Pastor's wife was pushed out of the moving car when the door sprang open and the seatbelt unbuckled, and that subsequent examination by a mechanic revealed no mechanical problems.

Whereas in Allen's account, inspection of the door latch after the incident revealed it to be faulty; it was repaired, and it never happened again.

Also, Allen claims that the Dodge was named 'Christine' by one of its previous owners, and that Stephen King was, supposedly, heavily inspired by the legend of her car to write his own novelised version.

Fair warning: this site is a bit of a rabbit hole. I lost a remarkable number of hours to this website a decade or so ago, and I'm not sure I want to get sucked back in...

I managed to find the latest iteration of Wendy Allen's website, featuring the Golden Eagle.

https://www.eelkat.com/GoldenEagle.html
I had a quick look:
This is the home page of

Maine author, artist, Voodoo Priestess, Gypsy Queen, and art car designer:

EelKat Wendy Christine Allen.

You have reached Maine's largest and most trafficked website.
As of February 2021, we are now getting up to 7 MILLION visits per day!

Hmmmmm...

Back