• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Gold's Yours if You Can Lift It

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I was told this decades ago, but apparently there's a gold mine in America which has a large bar of gold on display, accompanied by a challenge. The owners say that they don't believe anyone can lift the gold because it's too heavy, and so if you manage to carry it away, it's yours to keep.

If it was true, I don't know if still is, but has anyone ever heard of this?

There's a myth at The Royal Mint, Llanstrisant (S. Wales). which I've personally heard..."If you can lift a barrel of coins off the floor carry it out of the storage room, before the door comes down, you can keep the money"

Nice idea if you can manage it :D

Hmm, sounds like the same kind of story.

a local dog has "layed an egg" in my front garden, whoever can lift it can take it home :)

I'm pretty sure I've heard of that, but unfortunately I can't be any more specific...

I actually saw this on one of the educational channels (discovery, A&E, etc..) the other day. IIRC it was at the excessively large mine in Nevada (the one claimed to be visible from space). The catch is that it weighs about 200lbs and has smooth sides making it impossible to pick up without mechanical aid.

So it's true? Thanks for clearing that up.

I can remember a 1970s edition of Jim'll Fix It, where something like this happened. Two kids, after being given a tour of the workings of the Bank Of England or the Royal Mint, were shown a gold bar, and told that they could have it if either of them could pick it up. Of course, neither of them could manage it, but I'm sure that they got some other goodies from 'Doctor' Bank or 'Doctor' Mint (can't remember which they got a tour of - hey, it was over 30 years ago!) to go with their Jim'll Fix It badges.

Back