The Good Stuff Online Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
And never mind blue hippies and hackneyed plots.
This is CG at work:
http://opus.fm/view/the_third_the_seventh/

Quite beautiful, very relaxing, and with the much needed feeling of space which CG doesn't always deliver.

edit: It's around 13mins long and grows progressively more epic.
High def. versions here:
http://www.vimeo.com/7809605

If you can handle it.

Dingo667

I'm strange but true.
My most visited website [apart from FTMB :goof: ] is:
http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/
which is exactly what it says on the tin. Hundreds of excellent Asian Horror, many very new releases, all the Ringu movies, the Grudge and so on, I watch one almost every day but then I am a sucker for anything Japanese anyway, I'm learning the language and can then watch horror movies to practice. However they are all good. Wanted to share this for a long time, might as well now.
Go and watch! :madeyes:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Dingo667 said:
I'm learning the language and can then watch horror movies to practice.
I'd imagine you'll have a rather idiosyncratic vocabulary. :D

"The pen is in the table"?

What use is that?

"There can be no mercy!"

I'm not sure I recall the phrase exactly now, but I did, one hot afternoon, learn to say "Do not obstruct me, I'm on a mission from my god.", in Korean.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
As we have several readers of old books on the board, please take note of my thoughts on the Classic Reprint Series printed by Amazon before ordering anything from them. Review of The King's English:

1.0 out of 5 stars "Classic Reprint Series": Avoid like the plague, 2 Feb 2010
By Yith - See all my reviews

I shall start with the most important part of the review:
If you were to take my well-intentioned advice, you would not buy this book or any other from the 'Classic Reprint Series'.

Although not actually explained anywhere on this page, the would-be customer really ought to know that these editions are, put simply, photocopies of almost incredibly low-quality. The book itself claims to be 'remastered' (with no further explanation as to quite what that entailed), yet the result of this occult process remains a sporadically blurred, misaligned, faded and flawed text.

A few years ago, I had in my possession a 'pirate' copy of a Noam Chomsky book bought from a makeshift stall in Cambodia for around $3 [US]; I may have later traded it for some fruit, although I don't clearly recall. Anyway, it may amuse the reader to learn that this tatty specimen, bought from a man who could scarcely read most of the words he had patiently copied page-by-page, was actually clearer and easier on the eye than that now languishing discarded on my coffee table. I should be more than happy were someone to offer me fruit in exchange for this ersatz scrap of ugliness.

Favourite faults include (but are not limited to!):
- a scored text-block due to bad cutting.
- a halo of grey dots around each and every letter: time to change the cartridge, chaps.
- the fact that this is a photocopy of the second edition - not the 'original text'.
- the fact that a University of Los Angeles library sticker has been reproduced at the end (admirable attention to detail and all that...).

But, best of all, is the caveat all these books bear:

"Forgotten Books takes the uppermost care to preserve the entire content of the original book. However, this book has been generated from a scan of the original, and as such we cannot guarantee that it is free from errors or contains the full content of the original. But we try our best!"

Does this not, in essence, say: "We do everything we can to print the entire text, but may not, actually, print the entire text". Nevertheless, I am quite sure that when you find pages missing from the 'book' (for which you have paid handsomely), it will be truly warming to know that whilst not actually checking the integrity of the scans they have bought from a third-party before selling them on in a further degraded form, the hard-working chaps at Forgotten Books are 'trying their best'.

In short, were the brothers Fowler to witness the travesty being callously visited upon their fine work, they would now be turning in their graves, graves which have now been dampened by the former contents of Forgotten Books' collective bladder.

Please note: Forgotten Books = Amazon.co.uk

Last edited:

MsQkxyz

Devoted Cultist

MsQkxyz

Devoted Cultist
I think my favorite site ever is A Walk Around Britain! I wish they could update more, Ive read everything on the site so far. I would so love to do something like this!!!

http://www.awalkaroundbritain.com/

We are walking around Britain, singing for our supper wherever we find ourselves. We are learning about this land, about the people that live and work here, about the histories that have formed it, about the cultures that have gone before, and that remain.

This is a full time expedition, in which we travel on foot, and live outside. We don’t advance our journey in cars, trains or buses, and we don’t much shop in supermarkets; but these are not rules, rather guidelines for a better time.

shruggy63

Devoted Cultist
Craig Murray, the former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan, has an enjoyably amateurish site that's worth a look. A nice mix of hard news/politics & wry humour.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/

The R4 play 'Murder in Samarkand' is a good way to understand his background if you're not already familiar with his story (URL for downloading it on the above site).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
UK politics is starting to get delightfully dirty and petty of late.
Found another good image today:

theyithian said:
It's not the best, but it is, perhaps, the most striking:

It's a bit of an example of the tendency of reductio ad Hitlerum to completely debase an argument though, isn't it?

I mean, when you think that the original might have had the words LEBENSRAUM, GENOCIDE, BARBAROSSA, LIDICE, UNTERMENSCH, JUDENFREI, ZYKLON B, ORADOUR SUR GLANE, TREBLINKA, SIX MILLION ad infinitum plastered up there it makes it all look a bit...well...inane.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Spookdaddy said:
It's a bit of an example of the tendency of reductio ad Hitlerum to completely debase an argument though, isn't it?

I mean, when you think that the original might have had the words LEBENSRAUM, GENOCIDE, BARBAROSSA, LIDICE, UNTERMENSCH, JUDENFREI, ZYKLON B, ORADOUR SUR GLANE, TREBLINKA, SIX MILLION ad infinitum plastered up there it makes it all look a bit...well...inane.
You're right. We need to find an early Nazi poster boasting of their initial triumphs... ;)

It is indeed reductio ad Hitlerum. As I said, I chose it as simply the most striking. There are some pretty funny ones if you follow the link(s).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Of course.

As I said, I've been quite enjoying British politics over the past week or so: the polls have tightened, the election is on the horizon and the gloves are off.

Twitter battles, photoshop-sabotage, Blog-to-blog combat, and smear to counter-smear. Expect Nazi slurs on all sides.

More importantly, I've got a small stash put aside to make election night more fun with a few wagers.

Anyone else interested in psephology may look here:
http://www2.politicalbetting.com/

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Have you ever heard of a little thing called, 'Godwin's Law', theyithian? It crops up during this sort of discourse on the MB, from time to time. ;)
The problem with Godwin's Law and reductio ad Hitlerum is the fact that in some instances the analogies or comparisons are reasonable but you find yourself avoiding a perfectly relevant point in order to avoid those accusations. Although I suppose it's true of logical fallacies that they aren't always fallacies: I mean, if someone smacks you in the face with a wet fish they can hardly accuse you of tu quoque if you respond by returning the favour.

If anyone invents reductio ad Wallenstein I'm going to be in trouble.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Apparently from an old Batman comic [1970]:

http://mreugenides.blogspot.com/
Originally:
http://reason.com/blog/2010/02/27/histo ... of-the-day

So if you ever puzzled over the issue where Batman cuts short his romantic holiday with a black astrologer to deal with the International fallout surrounding Gotham's plan to dump toxic waste in space, you now know where the concept originated

Can you imagine anyone thinking, "I'm interested in pollution and astrology, but I don't want to read about black people!"