The Good Stuff Online Thread

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Meet The Man Who Lives With Hyenas
This remarkable relationship between man and beast has been kept alive for 50 years thanks to one family's tradition.

(Short article, Remarkable photos)

https://relay.nationalgeographic.co...aphy/proof/2017/08/this-man-lives-with-hyenas
Fascinating stuff - there's quite a few videos of this online. The beeb did a documentary with Gordon Buchanan fairly recently where he gets amongst them. It's not currently on iplayer though.

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Waitaminnit . . . Is he smiling? That image is just wrong on so many levels.

Bet the Romans had their hands full getting him tacked down, though.

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Stunning-pictures capture glowing plankton.

This was the incredible scene which greeted photographers on the Welsh coast last night.

The glowing plankton was spotted off the coast of Penmon Point in Beaumaris, Anglesey in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The mesmerising phenomenon, also known as 'sea sparkle' or Noctiluca scintillans, is caused by bioluminescent plankton which produces a blue light when disturbed.

It is the first time the magical sight has been captured in its full glory in Wales this year - almost exactly one year after the glow was spotted across the coastline last summer.
(c) Wales online 2019

Sorry didn't know where else to put this

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Have I mentioned the Flamephone before?

This freaky 1923 gramophone used your coal-gas supply to modulate the sounds and provide a rhythmic light-show!

No one seems to have seen one but interest is sparked by advertising and now patent details.

This German page is the most complete account so far. Google will translate it, approximately and the ads themselves are in English, as this was an eccentric Brit. product.

Can't wait for someone to take this on as a practical project! :hide: :domo: :cfire:

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
https://io9.gizmodo.com/akira-is-getting-a-4k-remaster-and-a-new-anime-1836127694
Katsuhiro Otomo is returning to his seminal work for a brand new animated project—one that will go beyond what the iconic 1988 film already accomplished.
Announced yesterday evening at Otomo’s panel at Anime Expo, Akira will be reborn across two different initiatives: first, an ultra-HD remastering of the original movie, which is set to release on blu-ray in Japan on April 24, 2020, with a western release coming at a later date (interestingly timed, given that Warner Bros. recently dated its own long-in-the-works adaptation of the film, helmed by Taika Waititi, for 2021). It marks the first time Akira will be available in 4K, and you can check out a teeny glimpse below:

It Look like its an import job because it's unlikely to get 4K release outside of Japan like ghost in the shell.
Up date it's also coming out in USA on the same day I think so I'll just import from the us and maybe a little bit cheaper.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
https://io9.gizmodo.com/akira-is-getting-a-4k-remaster-and-a-new-anime-1836127694
Katsuhiro Otomo is returning to his seminal work for a brand new animated project—one that will go beyond what the iconic 1988 film already accomplished.
Announced yesterday evening at Otomo’s panel at Anime Expo, Akira will be reborn across two different initiatives: first, an ultra-HD remastering of the original movie, which is set to release on blu-ray in Japan on April 24, 2020, with a western release coming at a later date (interestingly timed, given that Warner Bros. recently dated its own long-in-the-works adaptation of the film, helmed by Taika Waititi, for 2021). It marks the first time Akira will be available in 4K, and you can check out a teeny glimpse below:

It Look like its an import job because it's unlikely to get 4K release outside of Japan like ghost in the shell.
Up date it's also coming out in USA on the same day I think so I'll just import from the us and maybe a little bit cheaper.
Anyone else think Akira was a tab overrated when it first came out?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone else think Akira was a tab overrated when it first came out?
The opposite - I was an anime agnostic but loved Akira. Apparently now it's looked down on by the real anime fanatics because it's what all the uninitiated bring up when they think of an anime they've enjoyed, when there's a whole world of the stuff the fanatics think is as good or better.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
The opposite - I was an anime agnostic but loved Akira. Apparently now it's looked down on by the real anime fanatics because it's what all the uninitiated bring up when they think of an anime they've enjoyed, when there's a whole world of the stuff the fanatics think is as good or better.
Then there not real anime fans.