The Good Stuff Online Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
An old TV restoring an old TV .. a 1949 set. Skip to 1;02 to see moving images.

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
It's been mentioned here before in regards to H.G Wells books, but if you're not familiar with it, check out The Gutenberg Project. There's almost 60, 000 free ebooks to download (all Public Domain) with a number of paranormal/occult/supernatural titles amongst many, many others.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=downloads

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
It's been mentioned here before in regards to H.G Wells books, but if you're not familiar with it, check out The Gutenberg Project. There's almost 60, 000 free ebooks to download (all Public Domain) with a number of paranormal/occult/supernatural titles amongst many, many others.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=downloads
Lots of good stuff here including Conan Doyle's The Case for Spirit Photography plus lots of Sherlock Holmes, Lost World etc
The Elephant Man and Other Reminiscences by Frederick Treves, Astounding Stories of Super Science from the early 30s p
lus M.R. James, Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft.
A real treasure trove.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Great Pics, Yith. Loads of things to comment on but I'll flag up how slim everybody looks – I know they're nearly all young but there's very little fat on show, in spite of their being a lot of flesh! The flipside is that loads more people smoked then – I can remember that era and my parents and so many of the friends smoking. Put me off forever, thank God!

I was in Rough Trade Records in Bristol yesterday looking at the Woodstock multi-CD 50th anniversary collection, but didn't feel like paying £159! I know it's cheaper online but I'm actually trying to buy from real shops.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Everybody smoked back then, whether we wanted to or not. Occasionally, I'll find myself in the home of a couple of smokers these days, and realize that the haze, the yellow stains on walls and pretty much everything else, and the stink, were normal 50 years ago. Classrooms were smoke free, of course, but teachers often had horrendous breath. Teachers' lounges were notoriously acrid places. They may still be.

I'll have to check out that Woodstock book. That was a fascinating time. I know one person who attended, and the ten-year-old future Ms Popper was stuck in the legendary traffic jam, on the way to a family outing elsewhere.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
An app that helps emergency responders (rescuers, police, firefighters) pinpoint a location using just three words. Much easier than reading off coordinates.

Its developers divided the world into 57 trillion squares, each measuring 3m by 3m (10ft by 10ft) and each having a unique, randomly assigned three-word address.

"I was speaking to a mathematician and we found there were enough combinations of three words for every location in the world."

In fact, 40,000 words was enough.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
James Joyce reading Anna Livia Plurabelle in 1929.

Side Two of the record.

Finnegans Wake was not to be published in full for another ten years. Sections of it trickled out earlier as Fragments from Work in Progress.

These two sides are the only electrical recordings of Joyce reading his own work. They were made under the auspices of the Paris booksellers Shakespeare & Co, & recorded by EMI engineers in the same city. :)

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
The charge nurse who trained me in 2000 used to look after Sir Douglas Bader. He said he was a right bastard .. :plane: ..

My mate Dave once told us that his uncle knew Bader and had the occasional visit from him. When they knew he was coming, most of the family made themselves scarce.