The Good Stuff Online Thread

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
You don't find him mildly annoying?
Not at all. He goes where others fear to tread and tackles some sensitive subjects that other journalists wouldn't touch with a barge pole. He just seems to blend (though sometimes uncomfortably) into whatever circumstances he finds himself in and with that he seems to bring out an openness in his subjects that I doubt many others could.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
You don't find him mildly annoying?
His explanation:

Louis on being diagnosed with social anxiety disorder:

I know that I’m a little bit awkward… I think I have social anxiety. I did a thing about medicated kids in America. So I did a session with one of these pill-happy psychiatrists, and he said: “With you I would probably diagnose social anxiety disorder, and mild bipolar. And I’d put you on an SSRI and probably a Benzodiazepine and that would probably really help you.” And I was like “That’s really weird!” – this wasn’t just some random guy saying it, this was a professional, qualified psychiatrist diagnosing me with these things and saying he would put me on medication for them. It was totally baffling to me that I might have any kind of mental problem. But having said that, I do get anxiety about making social arrangements, I mean, I’m a total stranger to myself, in many respects. I’m conscious that I’m not a kind of ‘Alpha’ person. What they call the “executive function” in the brain, that part of the brain that is decisive, proactive, bossy – that part’s quite small in my brain. The anxious, insecure part is probably more developed, so when I go into situations, I naturally sort of slipstream behind their personas.

Source:
https://www.idler.co.uk/article/lou...ing-with-haters-and-being-told-he-is-bipolar/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
His explanation:

Louis on being diagnosed with social anxiety disorder:

I know that I’m a little bit awkward… I think I have social anxiety. I did a thing about medicated kids in America. So I did a session with one of these pill-happy psychiatrists, and he said: “With you I would probably diagnose social anxiety disorder, and mild bipolar. And I’d put you on an SSRI and probably a Benzodiazepine and that would probably really help you.” And I was like “That’s really weird!” – this wasn’t just some random guy saying it, this was a professional, qualified psychiatrist diagnosing me with these things and saying he would put me on medication for them. It was totally baffling to me that I might have any kind of mental problem. But having said that, I do get anxiety about making social arrangements, I mean, I’m a total stranger to myself, in many respects. I’m conscious that I’m not a kind of ‘Alpha’ person. What they call the “executive function” in the brain, that part of the brain that is decisive, proactive, bossy – that part’s quite small in my brain. The anxious, insecure part is probably more developed, so when I go into situations, I naturally sort of slipstream behind their personas.

Source:
https://www.idler.co.uk/article/lou...ing-with-haters-and-being-told-he-is-bipolar/
Aaaaand that's how Big Pharma got so big...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I posted this in the bloody Irish thread a while back but I reckon it deserves a wider audience, a contemporary ballad about Lidl's and ALDI and the weird stuff we buy there .. so it is so it is etc ..

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I'm reading Landmarks by Robert Macfarlane. In it he mentions a Richard, who I google to find is Richard Skelton. It raises my interest because he wrote about Anglezarke moor, which is not too far from where I was born, just outside Preston.

I have found a really fantastic archive about Anglezark. It has interested me for a long time due to an old book I read about suposed leylines than ran across the moor. I wonder about the ancient people who traversed the place. Anyway, I found this site interesting: http://www.anglezarke.net/popular-culture/landings/

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
This video is upliftingly spontaneous & cute (especially the apprentice Mary Poppins, but also the ever-upbeat pianist). Watch & enjoy
Brill :domo: .. I had a little girl spontaneously do the same sort of thing at me this summer in front of the hatch of the van I was operating .. she proper cheered me up that day :)

Last edited: