The Good Stuff Online Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This will only appeal to Brits of a certain age .. worth watching the rolling credits at the end ..

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This will only appeal to Brits of a certain age .. worth watching the rolling credits at the end ..

Ah, there were some well-known faces in that audience, weren't there? Quite a few now dead, sadly... Bellamy, Chegwin, Kathy Staff...

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Gary's still alive and back after 24 years with a new website:
Apologies, I demand a whole damn set of explanations. Larson is a genius....

• Why did he retire at 45?
  • DID he retire? Really?
  • Why has he unretired at the age of now 70?
  • What the f^[email protected]* has he been doing for the last quarter-century?

On Williams
I've said too many times here that I'm a huge admirer of his
Amen, ditto-snap. An eternal everbright star of irreplaceable brilliance.

As was, and is, the marvellous Danny Kaye

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Apologies, I demand a whole damn set of explanations. Larson is a genius....

• Why did he retire at 45?
  • DID he retire? Really?
  • Why has he unretired at the age of now 70?
  • What the f^[email protected]* has he been doing for the last quarter-century?
I think the story was that he'd made a shed load of money and decided to give it a rest.
He's probably semi-retired, in reality.

Ermintruder

Reaction score
he'd made a shed load of money
That is NOT the inference I take from his bitter comments regarding the impact copywrite theft has had upon him.

He's probably semi-retired
This doesn't really retrospectively click either. A crumb from Larson would've bettered a banquet from his emulators (rare though they also are)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
From Wikipedia:
By late 1994, Larson thought the series was getting repetitive and did not want to enter what he called the "Graveyard of Mediocre Cartoons." He retired the strip on January 1, 1995, when he was 44 years old. Since retiring from The Far Side, Larson has done occasional cartoon work, including magazine illustrations and promotional artwork for Far Side merchandise. For the most part, he has also retired from public view: "He refuses to have his picture taken and avoids being on TV," Time magazine wrote in 2003. To Larson, "cartoonists are expected to be anonymous."
To make such a decision, he must have made a chunk of money out of it.

Ermintruder

Reaction score
broadcast in 1973/74?
I miss the 1970s in a way that transcends mere nostalgia many times over.

Ok, in the UK we did have the 3-day week, strikes and power-cuts....but it really did look as if decimalisation, joining the EEC, wearing miniskirts, fitting formica worktops, eating off of tupperware and watching 625-line colour tv would save us all. From what, we didn't know....but it all seemed so Eurovision/paisley-patterned/retrofuturistically......redemptive. Filled with promise.

And then the 80s had to come along and spoil it all.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I miss the 1970s in a way that transcends mere nostalgia many times over.

Ok, in the UK we did have the 3-day week, strikes and power-cuts....but it really did look as if decimalisation, joining the EEC, wearing miniskirts, fitting formica worktops, eating off of tupperware and watching 625-line colour tv would save us all. From what, we didn't know....but it all seemed so Eurovision/paisley-patterned/retrofuturistically......redemptive. Filled with promise.

And then the 80s had to come along and spoil it all.
I can’t imagine you in a mini skirt!

Ermintruder

Reaction score
can’t imagine you in a mini skirt!
Indeed not, and I thank you for your perspicacity. I speak of course in broad sweeping generalisations (and sometimes even whilst wearing the kilt...warning are usually placed in national newspapers before I do, though)