The Good Stuff Online Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Tank”, FFS?

That’s a BTR-60 wheeled armoured personnel carrier.

:headbang:

maximus otter
Imagine if you were his teenager and you didn't tidy your bedroom? he'd burn the lot in your back garden I reckon ..

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Found this bloody brilliant tool on a 'Jack the Ripper' forum that I frequent. Essentially, it's a mapping system that allows a user to fade a street map from the present over one from a chosen date in the past. Works for England, Scotland & Wales.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=4&lat=55.7854&lon=-3.1645&layers=1&b=1

Here's an example (Dorset St, Spitalfields, London - where Mary Kelly, one of Jack's victims was found. Maps 1888 & 2018) Edited.
map.png

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
I am finding this site absolutely excellent for learning languages (in my case, Swedish).

https://babadum.com/
I started off with the 'Select the Correct Word' game (click Play then click the symbol top-left and select this symbol:
1578228391271.png
) where you get a picture and a choice of four words.

I'm now trying the 'Matching Game With Audio Only' (this symbol
1578228455524.png
) where the word is spoken and you select the picture corresponding to it. I'm chuffed to say that I am starting to recognise the audio of some of the words I've learned from the first game.

I have no affiliation with this website, just found it on a random web search for 'learn Swedish online') but I would recommend to anyone starting out learning a language. :D

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Multi-Media, 1924 - or 1927 - style!

Presenting the Edison-Bell Picturegram! I had not heard of these at all!* A beautiful, restored example is demonstrated by an Australian collector on this video. The earlier date is his but this page dates the machines to Christmas, 1927. Essentially a combination of pianola technology for the scrolling images with a compact, portable gramophone. I love the way it is neatly disassembled for neat storage! It seems unlikely that more than the original three disc/roll combinations were ever issued. :loveu:

*The concept of combining scrolling images with music-box or recorded tunes etc. lives on for the kiddies but the craftsmanship of this early example would have been wasted on sprogs!

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Once the Holy Grail for collectors of extreme cinematic experiences . . .

Out 1, Jacques Rivette's 13-hour bum-numbing picture from 1971 - also known as noli me tangere - has been up on Youtube in its entirety for the last six months or so. The First Part is Here.

The quality is said to be 720 dpi and what I have seen looks OK. It reminds me of the odd teenage urge to sit through the Ring of the Nibelungen* in a single day.

*I can understand why it sounds like a medical condition. :popc:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I watched a documenatry on H.P. Lovecraft free and legal through Snagfilms.

I wanted a full list of what they have available and came across this site. Now I have Amazon Prime and Netflix in I can browse by category and ratings from Rotten Tomatoes. I think that its really good: https://reelgood.com/movies/source/snagfilms

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Ooh that's brilliant I like that :D

I wish roads looked like that nowadays, nice and clean and neat-looking... instead of being cluttered with millions of road signs and yellow paint and bus lanes and everything.

The chap narrating is very relaxed, isn't he?
"Giving me the V-sign. I can't think why he should think that I'm interested in his politics." :rollingw: