The Good Stuff Online Thread

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I miss the 1970s in a way that transcends mere nostalgia many times over.

Ok, in the UK we did have the 3-day week, strikes and power-cuts....but it really did look as if decimalisation, joining the EEC, wearing miniskirts, fitting formica worktops, eating off of tupperware and watching 625-line colour tv would save us all. From what, we didn't know....but it all seemed so Eurovision/paisley-patterned/retrofuturistically......redemptive. Filled with promise.

And then the 80s had to come along and spoil it all.
I can’t imagine you in a mini skirt!

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
can’t imagine you in a mini skirt!
Indeed not, and I thank you for your perspicacity. I speak of course in broad sweeping generalisations (and sometimes even whilst wearing the kilt...warning are usually placed in national newspapers before I do, though)

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Found this bloody brilliant tool on a 'Jack the Ripper' forum that I frequent. Essentially, it's a mapping system that allows a user to fade a street map from the present over one from a chosen date in the past. Works for England, Scotland & Wales.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=4&lat=55.7854&lon=-3.1645&layers=1&b=1

Here's an example (Dorset St, Spitalfields, London - where Mary Kelly, one of Jack's victims was found. Maps 1888 & 2018) Edited.
map.png

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
Walking alone through the afternoon traffic...
I am finding this site absolutely excellent for learning languages (in my case, Swedish).

https://babadum.com/
I started off with the 'Select the Correct Word' game (click Play then click the symbol top-left and select this symbol: 1578228391271.png ) where you get a picture and a choice of four words.

I'm now trying the 'Matching Game With Audio Only' (this symbol 1578228455524.png ) where the word is spoken and you select the picture corresponding to it. I'm chuffed to say that I am starting to recognise the audio of some of the words I've learned from the first game.

I have no affiliation with this website, just found it on a random web search for 'learn Swedish online') but I would recommend to anyone starting out learning a language. :D

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Multi-Media, 1924 - or 1927 - style!

Presenting the Edison-Bell Picturegram! I had not heard of these at all!* A beautiful, restored example is demonstrated by an Australian collector on this video. The earlier date is his but this page dates the machines to Christmas, 1927. Essentially a combination of pianola technology for the scrolling images with a compact, portable gramophone. I love the way it is neatly disassembled for neat storage! It seems unlikely that more than the original three disc/roll combinations were ever issued. :loveu:

*The concept of combining scrolling images with music-box or recorded tunes etc. lives on for the kiddies but the craftsmanship of this early example would have been wasted on sprogs!

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Once the Holy Grail for collectors of extreme cinematic experiences . . .

Out 1, Jacques Rivette's 13-hour bum-numbing picture from 1971 - also known as noli me tangere - has been up on Youtube in its entirety for the last six months or so. The First Part is Here.

The quality is said to be 720 dpi and what I have seen looks OK. It reminds me of the odd teenage urge to sit through the Ring of the Nibelungen* in a single day.

*I can understand why it sounds like a medical condition. :popc: