The Good Stuff Online Thread

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's brilliant – but as a Bath-born lad I picked up a bit of a cheat at the end. When the car's arriving at 'the outskirts of Bath' it's actually already in the centre (the Lamb and Lion pub is on the left) and you'd already have gone past the abbey. Great to see the road layouts in the year I was born, some of which are drastically different now: the Jag's going the wrong way down what is now a one-way street with the Guildhall on the left and the final roundabout – Orange Grove – is now no longer a complete roundabout.

Great find, Kamalktk – and when did indicators become optional rather than mandatory? It drives me to despair the number of motorists who don't seem to know what they're for...

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
This won't appeal to everyone but AbeBooks has a list of their favourite Dust Jackets - click on the link to early dust jackets and you get the opportunity to buy the books themselves.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/books/features/vintage-dust-jackets.shtml

From there it's a short step to buying loads of books you'll never get round to reading:

his first million.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting documentary on a famous painting and the artist who produced it.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of those videos that play automatically as the page loads. People imght not want that.
I think that might (not sure) be a browser setting because it does not auto-play for me here on this board or at the original page.

I'll stick a warning on it just in case.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
I think that might (not sure) be a browser setting because it does not auto-play for me here on this board or at the original page.

I'll stick a warning on it just in case.

I got a fright when it started playing in me headphones. I didn't get chance to read your warning!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I do actually think that's pretty great, but 'a perfect replica of a 1980s video store' it isn't.

There are a number of films on display that weren't released in the 80s.

I think the ultimate aim would be to choose your favourite year and re-create a shop using only releases that would commonly be available then: so 1986 with a prepoderence of films from that an the previous few years, plus 'classics' re-released.

And I have to know: does he have a 'blue' section?

I used to glance over the aisle at the women in lingerie at on the box covers and feel my pulse quicken. My excuse being that they were near the horror section, which blended into things likes 'Critters', 'Tremors' and 'Gremlins'.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I do actually think that's pretty great, but 'a perfect replica of a 1980s video store' it isn't.

There are a number of films on display that weren't released in the 80s.

I think the ultimate aim would be to choose your favourite year and re-create a shop using only releases that would commonly be available then: so 1986 with a prepoderence of films from that an the previous few years, plus 'classics' re-released.

And I have to know: does he have a 'blue' section?

I used to glance over the aisle at the women in lingerie at on the box covers and feel my pulse quicken. My excuse being that they were near the horror section, which blended into things likes 'Critters', 'Tremors' and 'Gremlins'.
To be fair, he does say in his admittedly over half an hour video in the link that it's a 90's video shop, a few people in the talkbacks have also asked the same question about where's his blue section lol

I have something on a smaller scale that takes up a quarter of our dining room, mountains of vintage VHS tapes scruffily displayed, a VHS player under a late 80's portable TV with a PS1 hooked up and other vintage paraphernalia, posters, toys etc. It's my safe space :) ..

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Space Photography auction at Sotherbys October 2019

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/space-photography-online

If I had the money ... "Moon by Rutherfurd" Glass Lantern slide 21st Dec 1891 and the Lunar Orbiter II Oblique view into the crater Copernicus 24th Nov 1966 (going on-site and enlarging the photo results in a tumescence in my Gentlemen area).

sothebys-Rutherford.com.jpg sothebys-moon.com.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Space Photography auction at Sotherbys October 2019

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/space-photography-online

If I had the money ... "Moon by Rutherfurd" Glass Lantern slide 21st Dec 1891 and the Lunar Orbiter II Oblique view into the crater Copernicus 24th Nov 1966 (going on-site and enlarging the photo results in a tumescence in my Gentlemen area).

View attachment 22643 View attachment 22644
Brilliant. If money were no object, I'd have bought the lot.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this qualifies as 'good stuff online' or not, but certainly interesting. Since 2017, scientists have been experimenting with keeping fetal lambs in artificial wombs. Naturally, the intent is that someday premature human babies will be able to be placed into such 'wombs' in which they will develop normally. Science continues to amaze me.

NSFW - Warning, some may find the following disturbing. Click the Imgur picture below to see to full moving image:

An extra-uterine system to physiologically support the extreme premature lamb
In the developed world, extreme prematurity is the leading cause of neonatal mortality and morbidity due to a combination of organ immaturity and iatrogenic injury. Until now, efforts to extend gestation using extracorporeal systems have achieved limited success. Here we report the development of a system that incorporates a pumpless oxygenator circuit connected to the fetus of a lamb via an umbilical cord interface that is maintained within a closed ‘amniotic fluid’ circuit that closely reproduces the environment of the womb. We show that fetal lambs that are developmentally equivalent to the extreme premature human infant can be physiologically supported in this extra-uterine device for up to 4 weeks. Lambs on support maintain stable haemodynamics, have normal blood gas and oxygenation parameters and maintain patency of the fetal circulation. With appropriate nutritional support, lambs on the system demonstrate normal somatic growth, lung maturation and brain growth and myelination.
Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15112
Furher reading: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...g-allows-premature-lambs-develop-outside-womb

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm not sure that this qualifies as 'good stuff online' or not, but certainly interesting. Since 2017, scientists have been experimenting with keeping fetal lambs in artificial wombs. Naturally, the intent is that someday premature human babies will be able to be placed into such 'wombs' in which they will develop normally. Science continues to amaze me.

NSFW - Warning, some may find the following disturbing.

An extra-uterine system to physiologically support the extreme premature lamb

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15112
Furher reading: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...g-allows-premature-lambs-develop-outside-womb
Spoiler seems to stop moving image working!
I seem to recall seeing an artificial womb like this being demonstrated 30 years ago on Tomorrow's World or a similar program.