The Good Stuff Online Thread

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The Ghost Ship, Mark Robson, 1943

For a long time, this Val Lewton thriller was very hard to find, except in very poor quality versions. There were copyright problems, though some might suspect a political moral was detected and supressed. Streaming here in good quality, I was engrossed by the first half, hoping it would keep us all at sea. It doesn't but see what you think, if this has been the missing-link in your Lewton experience . . . :)

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The Secret Life of Machines: Radio.

Boffins at work and play! Delightfully entertaining and informative. There are boffins still to be found on Youtube - bigclive is a good example - but, back in the day, Tim Hunkin had some sort of budget. Guess the date as you are viewing. It's more recent than I imagined! :pipe:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The Secret Life of Machines: Radio.

Boffins at work and play! Delightfully entertaining and informative. There are boffins still to be found on Youtube - bigclive is a good example - but, back in the day, Tim Hunkin had some sort of budget. Guess the date as you are viewing. It's more recent than I imagined! :pipe:
1985, I'm guessing?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The Smithsonian Institution releases almost 3 million high-resolution two- and three-dimensional images from across its collections onto an open access online platform for patrons to peruse and download free of charge. Featuring data and material from all 19 Smithsonian museums, nine research centers, libraries, archives and the National Zoo, the new digital depot encourages the public to not just view its contents, but use, reuse and transform them into just about anything they choose—be it a postcard, a beer koozie or a pair of bootie shorts.

And this gargantuan data dump is just the beginning. Throughout the rest of 2020, the Smithsonian will be rolling out another 200,000 or so images, with more to come as the Institution continues to digitize its collection of 155 million items and counting.

maximus otter