The Good Stuff Online Thread

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
"On the recent edition of QI (2012), Stephen Fry said he met Marconi's widow and he mentioned that he met Alastair Cooke who knew Bertrand Russell whose aunt danced with Napoleon."

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/75371-how-far-back-in-time-can-you-go/
This reminds me of this remarkable clip of the last living person to witness President Lincoln's assassination. Even odder, it's from an American game show.

Mr. Samuel J. Seymour, the last living eyewitness to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C. was the mystery guest on the February 8, 1956 episode of the I've Got a Secret game show. Mr. Seymour (March 28, 1860 – April 12, 1956) was actually 95 years of age at the time of this appearance instead of 96. Host: Garry Moore Panelists from left to right: Bill Cullen, Jayne Meadows, Henry Morgan, Lucile Ball

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...this remarkable clip of the last living person to witness President Lincoln's assassination. Even odder, it's from an American game show.

Mr. Samuel J. Seymour, the last living eyewitness to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C. was the mystery guest on the February 8, 1956 episode of the I've Got a Secret game show.
Wow. Thanks for that.

By coincidence, due to my interest in the American Civil War, I've only recently finished reading Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. I had no idea that I was (for a short time) a contemporary of a witness to that ghastly event.

maximus otter

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Wow. Thanks for that.

By coincidence, due to my interest in the American Civil War, I've only recently finished reading Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. I had no idea that I was (for a short time) a contemporary of a witness to that ghastly event.

maximus otter
And to think, had he (Mr Seymour) lived another 7 years, he would also have been alive for JFK's assassination.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Astronaut Jeff Williams, a man who has spent more time in space than any other American took an ultra HD camera with him. He shot the following footage from 250 miles above while aboard the ISS. This is at once, tranquil, amazing, mindblowing, serene and beautiful.
If only we could all escape the madness of Earth for just a few moments and enjoy it's goodness from the quiet of space.

Jeff's Earth - UHD footage of planet Earth

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/uk/bletchley-park-footage-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

"Incredibly rare World War II footage of British spy staff shot at a site connected to the famous codebreaking facility Bletchley Park has been discovered and published online.

The 11-minute video is thought to be a compilation of footage shot at the Whaddon Hall facility used by communication staff from the UK's Special Intelligence Service (SIS) -- also known as MI6 -- from 1939 to 1945, according to a press release from the Bletchley Park Trust published Friday."