The Good Stuff Online Thread

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The shirt/no buttons thing is not necessarily wrong. You can get shirts where the buttons are hidden in a sort of 'sandwich' effect with material covering them. I think I've even had one in the past.

The barrel could be a planter for flowers rather than a water butt.

Several of the chimneys [5] look anomalous. They're normally found in the middle of roofs [rooves?] so several fireplaces can feed into them, not at the end of houses.

The down pipe with no barrel looks like it's going straight into a drain so not necessarily anomalous.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
My mate's a Buddhist, he was worried this video shows fake monks .. probably not IMO because the 14th Dalia Lama was a Beastie Boys fan ..

https://dalailama80.org/day-57/
No reason to think they have to be fake. If they do it because they enjoy it and it causes no harm it's fine. When you start training and ordaining at age 10 you can't avoid this kind of fun. I know a major traditional zen master who does African drumming and likes to salsa.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is brilliant and will appeal to anyone of a certain age (or still a kid at heart)...

Thunderbirds 1965 (Video from 2016)

Behind the scenes on Thunderbirds 1965: a project to produce three new episodes of the classic television show Thunderbirds - exactly the way it was done in the 60s!

Now possibly becoming a reality due to Kickstarter!
THUNDERBIRDS 1965 on Kickstarter

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
The shirt/no buttons thing is not necessarily wrong. You can get shirts where the buttons are hidden in a sort of 'sandwich' effect with material covering them. I think I've even had one in the past...
It is called a concealed placket. I only know that because one of my lockdown projects has been really getting to grips with my tricked out Janome 525S hog.

I, I just took a ride
On a sewing machine
And I'm still feeling mean...

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
It is called a concealed placket ...
Yes, yes, I know concealed buttons are a known thing. I've worn shirts (smocks; tunics ...) that had them.

The point here would be ... Were they a common feature on boys' shirts during the era the puzzle was created?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Japanese Indie-pop twenty-four hours a day:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It is called a concealed placket. I only know that because one of my lockdown projects has been really getting to grips with my tricked out Janome 525S hog.

I, I just took a ride
On a sewing machine
And I'm still feeling mean...
I generally keep my placket concealed, & certainly on a first meeting.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Time for this one again .. r-r-r-rewind! (especially for Fridesy)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Apparently from an old Batman comic [1970]:
Can you imagine anyone thinking, "I'm interested in pollution and astrology, but I don't want to read about black people!"
Actually there's a couple on here that would fit that. Possibly "lack" of pollution though.

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Not a bad price. They do make for a unique talking point!
You can see “masks” of Burke and Hare free over a good pint at the White Hart Inn in Edinburgh’s Grassmarket:

I can also recommend the “spec it yourself” pizza at Mamma’s nearby ( l invented haggis & mussel: recommended!)

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be a bit of a backlash against the kids-cult status of the Goonies, but I was a big fan of the film when I was young and if it were on now, I'd happily postpone bedtime by another couple of hours and watch it yet again.

Anyway, a cast reunion here yesterday--almost as complete as possible without necromancy:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There seems to be a bit of a backlash against the kids-cult status of the Goonies, but I was a big fan of the film when I was young and if it were on now, I'd happily postpone bedtime by another couple of hours and watch it yet again.

Anyway, a cast reunion here yesterday--almost as complete as possible without necromancy:

Wow... they all look old - apart from Chunk, who looks good for his age.