The Good Stuff Online Thread

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
I've been in a chamber like that, when I worked at a broadband radio company. They'd built a small chamber in a room - it was made from metal sheets and was lined with black cone-shaped tiles to deaden the sound. It was both soundproof and shielded from radio interference.
Probably the safest place to be if an EMP went off.
Hmmm. I wonder if it would make tinnitus go away. Heh, probably make it more annoying. I'd like to try it.

Years before I had tinnitus, I was on a solo bike ride in Utah. I was riding around the old jeep roads in the "Yellowcat Mining District", an area full of holes in the ground and what remained of uranium prospecting camps established in the 40s and 50s. It's just to the north of Arches National Park, near Moab. I decided to take a break at a fine overlook where the road followed the edge of a gorge. I sat on a rock and had a drink and a snack while I looked south into the park. It was a dead calm day, not unheard of in that area but not common. There were no birds or other creatures in sight. Eventually I became aware of a loud ticking noise. Had no idea what it was at first, but it turned out to be my quartz wrist watch. It was an analog watch so it made a very slight sound that could normally only be heard with the watch right up to my ear, and then only in a quiet room. It sounded like a cheap wind up alarm clock in that stillness. I removed it and put it in my pack because it was spoiling the moment.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Hmmm. I wonder if it would make tinnitus go away. Heh, probably make it more annoying. I'd like to try it.

Years before I had tinnitus, I was on a solo bike ride in Utah. I was riding around the old jeep roads in the "Yellowcat Mining District", an area full of holes in the ground and what remained of uranium prospecting camps established in the 40s and 50s. It's just to the north of Arches National Park, near Moab. I decided to take a break at a fine overlook where the road followed the edge of a gorge. I sat on a rock and had a drink and a snack while I looked south into the park. It was a dead calm day, not unheard of in that area but not common. There were no birds or other creatures in sight. Eventually I became aware of a loud ticking noise. Had no idea what it was at first, but it turned out to be my quartz wrist watch. It was an analog watch so it made a very slight sound that could normally only be heard with the watch right up to my ear, and then only in a quiet room. It sounded like a cheap wind up alarm clock in that stillness. I removed it and put it in my pack because it was spoiling the moment.
I have tinnitus too. No - being in the chamber made it more noticeable.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Is this for real? God, I hope so. Big Clive is a lot of fun.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Is this for real? God, I hope so. Big Clive is a lot of fun.

I think that was posted on another thread a while back.
It may be a gentle piss-take on Scottish eating habits.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hopefully this is a suitable thread for this - I've just showed it to Mr Zebra who'd never seen it before.

I love this.
Ah, the sainted Bernard Cribbins. Still with us, still going strong. I'd never seen that film before, either, though I was familiar with the song (and, by extension, the origins of the "I'm Too Sexy" trio).

That song is sadly more recognisable now in the UK from adverts for equity release mortgages!

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how many times I watch this little clip, it never fails to send me into fits of laughter, guaranteed to cheer me up no matter what.

Hopefully it brings a smile to your face too.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Recently on this very forum I have seen one or two humorous pictures posted, which depict the word 'Scarfolk'. I have found them highly amusing so tonight, my interest piqued, I decided to search the vast interweb to see what this was all about...

... and I am so glad I did! (So a million "thank-you"s to whoever posted those pictures, otherwise I would never have known about it).

This is right up my street, it appeals to the sort of thing I like (old 70s/80s stuff, public information films)... it is simply wonderful. I cannot begin to describe it, so let me just leave the link here.

https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

:)

For more information please reread this post.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Recently on this very forum I have seen one or two humorous pictures posted, which depict the word 'Scarfolk'. I have found them highly amusing so tonight, my interest piqued, I decided to search the vast interweb to see what this was all about...

... and I am so glad I did! (So a million "thank-you"s to whoever posted those pictures, otherwise I would never have known about it).

This is right up my street, it appeals to the sort of thing I like (old 70s/80s stuff, public information films)... it is simply wonderful. I cannot begin to describe it, so let me just leave the link here.

https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

:)

For more information please reread this post.
The guide book to Scarfolk is really worth buying if you can, as is the Scarfolk annual.

I've described it to people as being like an imagining of the dark aspects of being a kid in the 1960's and 1970's as imagined by The League Of gentlemen.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
The guide book to Scarfolk is really worth buying if you can, as is the Scarfolk annual.

I've described it to people as being like an imagining of the dark aspects of being a kid in the 1960's and 1970's as imagined by The League Of gentlemen.

Ooh there are books? :joyf: I've been reading the posts on the blogspot page and enjoying the pictures so far.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Watch Robert Fripp and Toyah cover Guns N’ Roses, Alice Cooper, Sex Pistols, Nirvana

Among 2020’s People Of The Year for us, have been guitar maestro Robert Fripp and Toyah Wilcox, husband and wife for 34 years, and known, respectively, to music fans worldwide as the leader of King Crimson and one of the ’80s most unique and daring pop stars, who’ve served up treat after treat in their regular ‘Sunday Lunch’ series on Toyah’s YouTube channel.
https://www.loudersound.com/news/wa...guns-n-roses-alice-cooper-sex-pistols-nirvana

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score

Ironically The League of Gentlemen produced a book in the late 90s, which is very Scarfolk, much darker (read sicker) and less "graphic design-y" but essentially the same sort of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Local-Book-People-League-Gentlemen/dp/1841156973

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Toyah is married to Robert Fripp ?! How could I not know this ?
Only since forever! This is a chance for me to repeat a name drop story! I was sharing a taxi with Toyah once and her mobile rang and as she was talking I couldn’t help overhear and it became obvious she was talking to her husband, so I’m sat there thinking how cool is my life, in a taxi with Toyah whilst she chats to Robert Fripp. Unfortunately never got to meet him.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Only since forever! This is a chance for me to repeat a name drop story! I was sharing a taxi with Toyah once and her mobile rang and as she was talking I couldn’t help overhear and it became obvious she was talking to her husband, so I’m sat there thinking how cool is my life, in a taxi with Toyah whilst she chats to Robert Fripp. Unfortunately never got to meet him.
You know when you can't shake the feeling you may have slipped into an alternative reality ...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
How did you end up sharing a taxi with Toyah? Were you off on a photo shoot?