The Good Stuff Online Thread

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Article about East 17 member and songwriter Tony Mortimer who, thanks to lockdown, discovered the joys of reading for the first time. It's both genuinely uplifting – as he now clearly loves reading – but it's also sad that somebody reaches 50 without ever reading a novel. Overall, though, it's a positive. As Morrissey wrote, back in the day: 'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' And there's a lot of truth in that.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...timer-on-discovering-reading-as-a-50-year-old

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
The Great Paris Moustache Strike of 1907

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how many times I watch this little clip, it never fails to send me into fits of laughter, guaranteed to cheer me up no matter what.

Hopefully it brings a smile to your face too.

Oh that's just had me in stitches! Thank you Zebs! What on earth is it from? I am going to bookmark this, because this, combined with the self-kicking cat, is just the thing for one of those 'off' days.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Oh that's just had me in stitches! Thank you Zebs! What on earth is it from? I am going to bookmark this, because this, combined with the self-kicking cat, is just the thing for one of those 'off' days.
Someone tried to tell me off for posting the self-kicking cat because, I dunno, it was mocking a dumb animal or summat.
Same with the dog that growls at its own back leg when said limb approaches the dog's snack too closely.

I was cruel and heartless and probably ripped helpless unweaned kittens and puppies, their eyes still not open, from their mothers' very beds to torture them to death.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
A couple of fun, quirky movies have returned to Netflix, at least in the States. We watched the first one again the other night, and we'll be sure to catch the other one before it disappears again.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That’s 10 hours of my life that I’ll never get back.
It's a really nice tune, though. Guess you could have that quietly burbling in the background, while you do something else, like working or reading.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is something which came up unexpectedly.

It's funny as... it's poignant and it's a video I'm thankful to have seen...

Taking a gamble it's also worthy of a mention here.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

On that first shot of the video his hands position is very South Park! :chuckle:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My boss's son was at Lemmy's funeral (Motorhead had been his customer for so many years, they knew each other pretty well).

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Lemmy was well known for being abrasive but I know enough people who knew him that say he was extremely kind and big-hearted. I know for a fact that he looked after his fans on numerous occasions putting himself out of pocket.

Stuff that no other rock star would do. He is well remembered by my lot for being a kind person and looking out for some of my younger stupid relatives.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
He is well remembered by my lot for being a kind person and looking out for some of my younger stupid relatives.
Sounds like there's a fascinating story untold?

If you might ever please be comfortable enough to now share...

Conversely, privacy naturally respected. :)

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
Interesting digression. what do people who are not Christian do at Christmas, when the Christian world closes down around then and they have to live with this?

Although... bit confused when the aurthor says In terms of kosher law, a Chinese restaurant is a lot safer than an Italian restaurant. In Italian food, there is mixing of meat and dairy. A Chinese restaurant doesn’t mix meat and dairy, because Chinese cooking is virtually dairy-free.

Errr... unless I've missed something, to be Jewish in a Chinese might mean the food is guaranteed "paar'ev" - but you'd have to pay a lot more attention to avoiding inconvenient pork and shellfish? The author does invoke "plausible deniability", but it does seem a really odd choice for a meal out. Maybe these days the "Indian" restaurant, of the sort where halal is built in right from the start?

It's hard being a Jew at Christmas (Kyle Brovlovski, South Park)