The Good Stuff Online Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Lemmy was well known for being abrasive but I know enough people who knew him that say he was extremely kind and big-hearted. I know for a fact that he looked after his fans on numerous occasions putting himself out of pocket.

Stuff that no other rock star would do. He is well remembered by my lot for being a kind person and looking out for some of my younger stupid relatives.
I watched an ace youtube video a while back where Lemmy was reading out letters from fans to camera. He was reading out a letter from a young boy who was also black and who was saying his friends were telling him he shouldn't be listening to metal just for that reason. Lemmy told him he could listen to anything he wanted :badge: .. I'll try to re find that video ..

edit:

Ask Lemmy: Black kid who likes metal asks Lemmy Kilmister for advice - YouTube

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you can listen to the incredibly sad and heart breaking song 'Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me' by Motorhead without feeling emotional I'd be amazed. It sounds like Lemmy is trying not to cry at the end of the song.

A lot of people like Lemmy survived because they knew that Lemmy was a character he played and who he really was was very different indeed.

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I watched an ace youtube video a while back where Lemmy was reading out letters from fans to camera. He was reading out a letter from a young boy who was also black and who was saying his friends were telling him he shouldn't be listening to metal just for that reason. Lemmy told him he could listen to anything he wanted :badge: .. I'll try to re find that video ..

edit:

Ask Lemmy: Black kid who likes metal asks Lemmy Kilmister for advice - YouTube
Last weekend's Radio 1 Rock Show was hosted by stand-in Nels Hylton and he gave some really interesting insights to growing up as a black fan of rock/metal music. Well worth a listen on BBC Sounds if that interests you.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
One of my favourites websites is www.flightradar24.com.

Just now I was 'watching' a BA plane that was supposed to go from London to Edinburgh. Instead it descended, veered west towards Glasgow, then turned and started SE back towards London.

Techy reckons it's full of Covid and has been refused landing at Edinburgh!

You, it's now landed back at Heathrow, 22.25 hours.

BA1464 FLIGHT FROM LHR TO EDI

AIRCRAFT TYPE (A21N) Airbus A321-251NX
REGISTRATION G-NEOV

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score

Just now I was 'watching' a BA plane that was supposed to go from London to Edinburgh. Instead it descended, veered west towards Glasgow, then turned and started SE back towards London.

REGISTRATION G-NEOV
Aliens.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
That site is really fun to watch. When I first heard about it, I would zoom in on our little town and watch the traffic in the area. When a plane would approach on the screen, I'd go outside and see if I could spot it.

Here's a screen shot of the track left by a firefighting helicopter in 2019. Looking at it now, it seems this must have been a spotter. The little copters that dipped water out of ponds and lakes left straighter, overlapping lines. Sure was interesting watching those operations.

Helicopter track.PNG

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That site is really fun to watch. When I first heard about it, I would zoom in on our little town and watch the traffic in the area. When a plane would approach on the screen, I'd go outside and see if I could spot it.

Here's a screen shot of the track left by a firefighting helicopter in 2019. Looking at it now, it seems this must have been a spotter. The little copters that dipped water out of ponds and lakes left straighter, overlapping lines. Sure was interesting watching those operations.

View attachment 33410
That's a great map! You can see where the helicopter took off from. With the tail number you can find out more about it.

The site used to give 'squawk' codes which tell you what they're engaged in (passenger flight, parachuting, firefighting etc) but these days you need the paid app for that. As you say though, with local knowledge you can work it out.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I was having a look at flightradar24 one day and I noticed a huge amount of activity in one very small area.
When I zoomed in it looked like the whole system had just gone completely bonkers. There must have been 40 or 50 (possibly more) tracks, all overlapping and weaving in and out of each other, it was baffling.
Upon checking the googlemaps I discovered it was a gliding club.

Another day I noticed a track of an aircraft that was just circling around and around in a small area, then it landed, then it took off again, and it must have done that several times over the course of an hour or so.
Upon checking the aircraft involved....turned out to be a skydiving club.

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
I was having a look at flightradar24 one day and I noticed a huge amount of activity in one very small area.
When I zoomed in it looked like the whole system had just gone completely bonkers. There must have been 40 or 50 (possibly more) tracks, all overlapping and weaving in and out of each other, it was baffling.

Another day I noticed a track of an aircraft that was just circling around and around in a small area, then it landed, then it took off again, and it must have done that several times over the course of an hour or so.
That's what the aliens want you to think.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Aliens in Dunstable? I thought they had been exiled from the area in the 1970s?
It was about the same time the hippy encampment was moved on from Ashridge Forest.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Yup, you used to be able to look up the squawk codes and spot skydiving!

I see planes circling in North Shropshire now and then where a skydiving club must meet up.

The Welsh Air Ambulances are fun to watch too. You can tell a lot about their passengers and the circumstances of the emergency by where they fly to.

Is it worth having a Flightradar/planespotting thread? I'd certainly be up for boring everyone on it!

Trevp666

Reaction score
Particularly impressive/interesting are some of the flights made by the 'Voyager' aircraft operated out of Brize Norton.
Sometimes they'll only fly a mile or two to another airport, sometimes they'll go half way around the world!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Particularly impressive/interesting are some of the flights made by the 'Voyager' aircraft operated out of Brize Norton.
Sometimes they'll only fly a mile or two to another airport, sometimes they'll go half way around the world!
Yes! They fly over my house on their way north.

Trevp666

Reaction score
They fly over my house on their regular trips to Stansted.

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
Aliens in Dunstable? I thought they had been exiled from the area in the 1970s?
It was about the same time the hippy encampment was moved on from Ashridge Forest.
They're all aliens in Dunstable.

worlds end.gif

Junopsis

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I've been enjoying the heck out of a no-budget suspense/spoopy drama on Youtube.
A while back, this digital content-production office in California started finding keys that had been left in their office building (in the roof, walls). Now it's blossomed into this whole saga involving an abandoned car, mysterious safes full of weird shit, connections to secret military projects, break-ins, and questionably credible flammable liquids. It's presented as part of the owner's vlogging account.
I do think that it is a work of fiction, but their presentation has been a darn fun time (although maybe that's because I've known about the channel since they first started finding things).
I will note that they're rather clickbaity and silly-- again, youtube-content company. Their entire existence came alongside that sort of thing.
Playlist here

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

REGISTRATION G-NEOV
No, they've refused it landing permission because there are only English people on board.