The Good Stuff Online Thread

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
A typical council meeting where nothing is achieved except power struggles. My old flat mate listened in on one of these once, held at the Red Lion Hotel by the Cromer branch of North Norfolk District Council. They could have held the meeting in their tax payer funded hall but they chose the Red Lion Hotel instead. One person made one suggestion of putting a marque over the pier. That idea was rejected by the other nineteen people present then they all got stuck into their three course lunch and drinks instead that was, by an amazing coincidence, also entirely funded by the tax payer. I had to deal with the payment.

Best of the Handforth Parish Council Planning & Environment Committee Thursday 10th December 2020 - YouTube

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
A typical council meeting where nothing is achieved except power struggles. My old flat mate listened in on one of these once, held at the Red Lion Hotel by the Cromer branch of North Norfolk District Council. They could have held the meeting in their tax payer funded hall but they chose the Red Lion Hotel instead. One person made one suggestion of putting a marque over the pier. That idea was rejected by the other nineteen people present then they all got stuck into their tax payer funded three course lunch and drinks instead.

Best of the Handforth Parish Council Planning & Environment Committee Thursday 10th December 2020 - YouTube
I to 1:20 and was so annoyed I stopped watching.

Swifty

Reaction score
I to 1:20 and was so annoyed I stopped watching.
Politics in motion. The actual chairman should have chosen that moment to out himself as a proud gay man. That would have shut the Judas element up :cool: .. and then put in a complaint of homophobic bullying. The one I hated the most was that bloke aligning himself with everything the pretender to the throne was doing just to cover his own arse. This is where our council tax goes. The chairman should have had a spine and dismissed Jackie Weaver from the meeting that she organised.

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Politics in motion. The actual chairman should have chosen that moment to out himself as a proud gay man. That would have shut the Judas element up :cool: .. and then put in a complaint of homophobic bullying. The one I hated the most was that bloke aligning himself with everything the pretender to the throne was doing just to cover his own arse. This is where our council tax goes.
I didn't get that far, we should have stormed their zoom meeting, QAnon style.

Swifty

Reaction score
I didn't get that far, we should have stormed their zoom meeting, QAnon style.
"And there's not enough butter on the scones!! .. let's smash the place up!!"

edit:.. although to be fair, I don't know what happened before this meeting. Maybe the chairman was corrupt as fuck?

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
We can at least be thankful that none of them felt the need to get their kit off.

Swifty

Reaction score
We can at least be thankful that none of them felt the need to get their kit off.
I want a signed copy .. and a musical ..

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I particularly enjoyed whoever it was who just broke into maniacal laughter half-way through proceedings - clearly aware of the madness of it all.

Swifty

Reaction score
I particularly enjoyed whoever it was who just broke into maniacal laughter half-way through proceedings - clearly aware of the madness of it all.
The one that sounded like Golum.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A mashup of Slayer and the B52s:

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A list of English names with unexpected (in some cases unexpectable) pronunciations.

Abergavenny: Abergnny (hard ‘g’)
Alnwick: Annick
Arbuthnot: A-buth-not
Auchinleck: Afflck (or as spelt)
Beauchamp: Beecham
Beaufort: Bofoot
Beaulieu: Biew-li
Belvoir: Beava
Bethune: Beaton
Blenheim: Blenim
Bolingbroke: Bullingbrook
Borrowes: Burrows
Broughton: Brawton
Buccleuch: Buckloo
Burgh: Bura
Bury: Berry
Caius: Keys (College)
Calverley: Cahvaly
Capell: Cayple
Carnegie: Cahnggie
Cecil: in the family, Sissl
Cirencester: Sista, or Saye-ren-sesta

Continued until Z!
http://www.johntrainbroadside.com/english-family-and-place-names/
As an American who rarely encounters these unique pronunciations I'm very interested in them. Can someone provide proper phonetic spellings rather than these "should have been spelled like this" versions?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I was rather surprised by the quality obtained from this 1937 tv!

True, there is a black-spot, called ion-burn, in the centre of the tube and the geometry of the tube is bound to create truncation of the picture.

We might wonder about the whole process of getting a modern signal onto the old screen but I was impressed by the quality - which still needed to be captured for our enjoyment! :)

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
A list of English names with unexpected (in some cases unexpectable) pronunciations.

Abergavenny: Abergnny (hard ‘g’)
Alnwick: Annick
Arbuthnot: A-buth-not
Auchinleck: Afflck (or as spelt)
Beauchamp: Beecham
Beaufort: Bofoot
Beaulieu: Biew-li
Belvoir: Beava
Bethune: Beaton
Blenheim: Blenim
Bolingbroke: Bullingbrook
Borrowes: Burrows
Broughton: Brawton
Buccleuch: Buckloo
Burgh: Bura
Bury: Berry
Caius: Keys (College)
Calverley: Cahvaly
Capell: Cayple
Carnegie: Cahnggie
Cecil: in the family, Sissl
Cirencester: Sista, or Saye-ren-sesta

Continued until Z!
http://www.johntrainbroadside.com/english-family-and-place-names/
My late partner's surname was Mainwaring and he frequently had to explain the spelling and pronunciation to strangers. He bore no resemblance to Arthur Lowe, btw. ;)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
My late partner's surname was Mainwaring and he frequently had to explain the spelling and pronunciation to strangers.
Oddly enough, I met a girl who kept insisting that her name was not pronounced the Arthur Lowe way!

This is going back to the days when kids would even have heard of Dad's Army! :omr:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
My late partner's surname was Mainwaring and he frequently had to explain the spelling and pronunciation to strangers. He bore no resemblance to Arthur Lowe, btw. ;)
But did he pronounce it 'Mannering' or like Colonel Square always did, 'Main-Waring'??

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
As an American who rarely encounters these unique pronunciations I'm very interested in them. Can someone provide proper phonetic spellings rather than these "should have been spelled like this" versions?
As one or two other Brits here have pointed out, a few of those above aren't quite right anyway, proper phonetics or no. It's interesting, though, how as a resident of these parts for the half-century or so that I've been on this planet, most of the places cited above seem "obvious". I can't imagine saying "Leicester" or "Worcester" as anything other than "Lester" and "Wooster", and it's easy to forget that not everyone in the world is brought up with such silliness!