The Good Stuff Online Thread

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Alcester, near Evesham, is one I've heard pronounced different ways.

To me, it's definitely something close to "Ollster", but I've heard many people say "All-sess-ter".

Just noticed that Evesham could be confusing. For the record, it's "Eve-shum" rather than "Eve's ham".

Oll-ster and Eve-shum for sure. I have relatives in both!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I didn't look at the list but assume Wymondham isn't on it.
It's pronounced "Wimdm"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
What the Pink Panther car looks like inside! I wanted that car when I was a kid.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
What the Pink Panther car looks like inside! I wanted that car when I was a kid.
There were at least two of those. "It" was a fixture on the car show circuit for a few years. Those being indoor attractions, filling arenas and civic auditoriums with both nationally known cars and local creations over a long weekend. Dad was a hot rodder as well as being into several sorts of racing. He was part owner of one race car that made it into a few of those shows, and had painted a few others. It was a blast being a kid in that environment. I went to something like a dozen car shows before my mid teens.

The first Pink Panther car I encountered was probably the one in the video, which had a steering wheel. The second differed in some details, but obviously lacked a steering wheel and had instead some sort of wired controllers, one for each hand. As memory serves, the were probably just ordinary controllers for electric "slot cars" of the sort you'd find at a commercial attraction indoors. By the time I saw that one, I was well aware that many such things promoting TV shows and whatnot were often not driveable. I was later to learn that it was also common for there to be more than one. There were something like four different Mustangs used in the making of Bullit, for example.

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Is whatever effect that is causing the sparks also causing the noise? Why does the image get brighter after the flame disappears?

a) Yes.

b) The phone camera is adjusting the exposure automatically to keep the overall light level the same during and after the “spark event”.

maximus otter

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Arguably the most famous British sports interview ever:

Here's an interesting little experiment to try with the Clough/Revie interview. Try watching it from the point of view of someone who doesn't know who either of them are, and guess which of them has just reached the peak of his profession and which one has seen his reputation damaged and, only hours before, had the humiliation of being sacked after only 44 days from a job that he took to prove that he was a better manager than the man goading him from 3 feet away.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
... and while I'm on the subject, here's my favourite Cloughie quote, and the inspiration for the way I run my team at work:

I went to school with his son .. he used to come and watch us all playing football :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Why would his son watch you lot play football? Was he a bit crap at it?
lol .. no, Brian Clough used to come and watch his son Nigel play at our school sports days (John Taylor High School, Barton under Needwood). I was crap at football, Nigel went on to be the manager at Burton on Trent then Derby last I heard.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting little experiment to try with the Clough/Revie interview. Try watching it from the point of view of someone who doesn't know who either of them are, and guess which of them has just reached the peak of his profession and which one has seen his reputation damaged and, only hours before, had the humiliation of being sacked after only 44 days from a job that he took to prove that he was a better manager than the man goading him from 3 feet away.

The exchange that begins at 17:48 is when Clough goes clinically for the jugular.

And then making Revie repeat his confession is pure rhetorical method.

Revie is clearly rattled and has difficulty remaining equable from then on.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
lol .. no, Brian Clough used to come and watch his son Nigel play at our school sports days (John Taylor High School, Barton under Needwood). I was crap at football, Nigel went on to be the manager at Burton on Trent then Derby last I heard.

Nigel was a really underrated player. He could play in just about any position. He's at Mansfield now.

Not sure how true this is, but there was a story that when David Icke announced he was the Don of God, Brian Clough said, "there's only one Son of God and he's called Nigel".

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
The exchange that begins at 17:48 is when Clough goes clinically for the jugular.

And then making Revie repeat his confession is pure rhetorical method.

Revie is clearly rattled and has difficulty remaining equable from then on.

Revie was never quick-witted enough to keep up with Cloughie. My favourite bit of mischief from BC in that interview is at 24:20 where he suggests he might apply to Revie for a coaching job with the England youth team- he's clearly done it (at least partly) to wind DR up and it worked!

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This is cool. A Google Earth like map where every green dot is a radio station. Simply click on one to listen. Enjoy!

http://radio.garden/
Wow Firefox hates that site with a passion if you have tracking protection turned on! It goes into a fit of reloading over and over again, quite soothing really.
EDIT: Oh it was forcing HTTPS that broke it good and proper - letting it use plain HTTP bought it too life.
Great site when I allow it to do what it was trying to do though!

:comphit:

Last edited: