• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

The Good Stuff Online Thread

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This is cool. A Google Earth like map where every green dot is a radio station. Simply click on one to listen. Enjoy!

http://radio.garden/
Wow Firefox hates that site with a passion if you have tracking protection turned on! It goes into a fit of reloading over and over again, quite soothing really.
EDIT: Oh it was forcing HTTPS that broke it good and proper - letting it use plain HTTP bought it too life.
Great site when I allow it to do what it was trying to do though!

:comphit:

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Re: Best of the Handforth Parish Council Planning & Environment Committee Thursday 10th December 2020 - YouTube

Latest Handforth Parish Council Zoom again descends into chaos

Wednesday's meeting was being watched on YouTube by more than 3,500 people at one stage, with some members of the public seen smoking on the Zoom call while another person shielded their face with a large safari hat.

Members of the public interjected and made cat-calls throughout the meeting.

Wednesday's meeting included a number of references to the viral meeting, with members of the public interrupting proceedings with laughter and quoting catchphrases like "read the standing orders, read them and understand them".

An argument also broke out among the councillors about the previous meeting's minutes
etc.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Amazing abandoned Hobbit house:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
These are the most amazing hobo nickels I have seen so far:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Raniero Testa of Winchester throws 17 clay pigeons into the air by hand, then breaks every one with his Winchester SX4 shotgun before any of them can touch the ground. Time elapsed: 2.08 seconds:

Rate of fire? Apparently equivalent to 490 rounds per minute. That’s almost equal to a Sten gun, and faster than some other submachine guns.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Raniero Testa of Winchester throws 17 clay pigeons into the air by hand, then breaks every one with his Winchester SX4 shotgun before any of them can touch the ground. Time elapsed: 2.08 seconds:

Rate of fire? Apparently equivalent to 490 rounds per minute. That’s almost equal to a Sten gun, and faster than some other submachine guns.

maximus otter
Throwing all those clay pigeons high up into the air is a feat all by itself. But I guess it was necessary to keep them all bunched together for maximum damage. If they'd been launched by machine, they may have been spread further apart.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is something which popped up on YouTube and is seriously meaningful.

It was in support of, 'World Suicide Prevention Day', 10 September, 2018 and filmed at Heuston railway station, Dublin.

I have passed on the link to a friend who helps with the Samaritans and wondered if you maybe also know someone who might benefit if you share it with.

@https://youtu.be/_vV_yHGl0kg

My own experience of listening would not have been replete without a 'Fortean' twist at the end - the video was followed by an advert:

"If you were born before 1969 and have not yet prepaid your funeral costs...".

Last edited:

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have to do the inflation sums, but some of these look amazing value.

Hawkwind must be the biggest bang for one's buck here.

EvgWlPBXEAYxSF6.jpeg.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

View attachment 36116
I've got a play list that I scooped off a stage floor at a rave in the early 90's that looks a bit like this ... famous rave acts and what they were being payed cash in hand back then that night crudely scribbled out by someone using a blue biro .. it's in one of my scrap books. Someone might want to buy it off me one day hopefully, you can still read exactly what each famous DJ was payed ..

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

View attachment 36116
That's absolutely fascinating, and a real snapshot. I'm weirded out by Roy Harper being worth twice as much as Hawkwind, as I don't remember him ever being that big a name; Slade at £150? Must have been when they were well out of favour; Deep Purple, ELP and Family were riding high, followed by the likes of the Incredible String Band, T-Rex, Alan Price/Georgie Fame, Fairport Convention, Yes and Rory Gallagher.

I'm 57 and started going to gigs in the mid-to-late Seventies but even I've seen a few of those acts: the Bonzos, Fairport Convention, Rory Gallagher, Roy Harper, Hawkwind (many, many times), members of Stackridge playing for other bands and Steeleye Span.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
That's absolutely fascinating, and a real snapshot. I'm weirded out by Roy Harper being worth twice as much as Hawkwind, as I don't remember him ever being that big a name; Slade at £150? Must have been when they were well out of favour; Deep Purple, ELP and Family were riding high, followed by the likes of the Incredible String Band, T-Rex, Alan Price/Georgie Fame, Fairport Convention, Yes and Rory Gallagher.

I'm 57 and started going to gigs in the mid-to-late Seventies but even I've seen a few of those acts: the Bonzos, Fairport Convention, Rory Gallagher, Roy Harper, Hawkwind (many, many times), members of Stackridge playing for other bands and Steeleye Span.
I guess it's "pre-breakout" Slade?

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score

View attachment 36116
I've only heard of "Mogul Thrash" because they were referred to in a Half Man Half Biscuit song. Even then, I hadn't really twigged that they were a band.

Ralph McTell £250? That's a lot of money for one song!

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score