• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

The Good Stuff Online Thread

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Good Stuff? Well certainly unusual and I would hesitate to classify it as music, in the ordinary sense . . .

I was astonished to discover that I had never heard of Leona Anderson and her 1957 album "Music to Suffer By!"

suffering.jpg

Rats in My Room seems to have been inspired by Ravel.

I think the rest of it is also on Youtube, if you develop a morbid taste for it! o_O

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Good Stuff? Well certainly unusual and I would hesitate to classify it as music, in the ordinary sense . . .

I was astonished to discover that I had never heard of Leona Anderson and her 1957 album "Music to Suffer By!"

View attachment 38755

Rats in My Room seems to have been inspired by Ravel.

I think the rest of it is also on Youtube, if you develop a morbid taste for it! o_O
Can get the CD reissue for 2 or 3 quid on Discogs. Tempted Twigs is.
When the postage costs more than the message.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I expect it didn't catch on because of the challenges of incorporating the design into future vehicles in a financially viable way, plus the possibilities of mechanical failure and/or structural rigidity.
'Wacky' designs of one sort or another always appear on 'concept cars' at motor shows but rarely make it onto production models. Manufacturers prefer to go with tried and trusted engineering, plus customers like to stick with what they know.
To a car manufacturer, a hinged door with a latch and handle, fixed to a rigid safety cell is going to fulfil 3 requirements - it's safe in crash tests, it's easy to use, and it's simple to produce.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I expect it didn't catch on because of the challenges of incorporating the design into future vehicles in a financially viable way, plus the possibilities of mechanical failure and/or structural rigidity. ...
To a car manufacturer, a hinged door with a latch and handle, fixed to a rigid safety cell is going to fulfil 3 requirements - it's safe in crash tests, it's easy to use, and it's simple to produce.
Right ... Eliminating the B-pillar raises all sorts of engineering problems in meeting side impact test requirements. The doors have to be reinforced, which in turn adds weight. Combined with the additional gadgetry to make the reinforced doors reliably movable, the necessary equipment becomes unwieldy and expensive additions justified solely by gimmickry. It's much easier and more economical to have the door / doors swivel out of the way (i.e., open conventionally, pivot upward 'scissor-like', or flip up as a 'gull wing').

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Fascinating idea that didn't raise a flicker of interest at the time when it came out:
Could be useful for police and emergency vehicles.
Looks amazing. I was tempted a few years ago to get a car with front doors that slide back, the advantages being easy egress in a tight parking spot and better access for my Mum who was in a wheelchair. However most of the reviews mentioned parking at a Supermarket, locking up and walking off - then looking back to see the doors had opened themselves again after 10 seconds.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Looks amazing. I was tempted a few years ago to get a car with front doors that slide back, the advantages being easy egress in a tight parking spot and better access for my Mum who was in a wheelchair. However most of the reviews mentioned parking at a Supermarket, locking up and walking off - then looking back to see the doors had opened themselves again after 10 seconds.
My last car (Citroen Nemo Multispace) had rear doors that popped out and slid back. They were a lot smaller than the front doors.
On very cold days, the rear door mechanisms would freeze up, so I'd have to use force to open them.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted but if you're interested in the satellites and space debris currently orbiting Earth, then click on a dot and be prepared to waste a few hours.

http://stuffin.space/

Get Kraken

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Fascinating idea that didn't raise a flicker of interest at the time when it came out:
Could be useful for police and emergency vehicles.
Could this be dangerous if your battery died? It seems electric dependent meaning it wouldn't work if the power failed and you'd be trapped in your car. I know this can be a problem for electric windows.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Could this be dangerous if your battery died? It seems electric dependent meaning it wouldn't work if the power failed and you'd be trapped in your car. I know this can be a problem for electric windows.
Yes - a totally electricity-dependent design could lead to all sorts of problems in using / operating the vehicle.

For example, it could also result in trapping you outside the car unless at least one door could be opened manually while the whole apparatus was in the closed position.

It could also result in doors jammed in partially or whooly opened / closed positions. How safe would it be to drive the car if the driver-side doors were jammed wide open?

My favorite FUBAR scenario is one where the car runs off the road into deep water, something short-circuits, and the doors automatically open all at once - causing the car to sink much faster.

Get Kraken

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
My favorite FUBAR scenario is one where the car runs off the road into deep water, something short-circuits, and the doors automatically open all at once - causing the car to sink much faster.
Or worse, the doors wont open and you end up trapped in a sinking car while it fills with water.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
People fetishize technology, "progress" is God in a our Godless society, many things have already reached maximum potential and often the simplest or most straightforward approach is the best.