mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
150 Years of Bovril - When Meat Extract Was King Link

Bovril-by-Electrocution.jpg

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is, frankly, a bizarre image, I can't see how it's going to make anyone want to drink Bovril, no to have positive feelings towards the company.
I misread what you wrote initially and thought you had no positive thoughts because it was all real! o_O

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
One of those random YouTube suggestions, which comes up when you're looking for something entirely unrelated.

I thought it would be so remiss not to pass on.

Although perhaps bizarrely amusing on its own, when you factor in the engaging contestant's name and his confirmation of why...!

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
One of those random YouTube suggestions

Youtube is plugging that one a lot! It is worth a look but their silly algorithms ought to tell them I have seen it!

Meanwhile, on Youtube, someone has posted this:

A lobby-spot record from 1960, still at 78 rpm!

The film was William Castle's original "13 Ghosts" - expect a lot of screaming!

It was intended to be played on a continuous loop in the foyer of cinemas playing the film; I have some sympathy for the poor staff!

Meanwhile, when I have sorted the 10-hour loop, my neighbours are in for a retro-treat!

The narrator plugs the gimmick, which was that you needed the ghost-viewer to see the spooks. It's a fact that Public Domain copies of this turkey omit all the ghost scenes! :rofl:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Youtube is plugging that one a lot! It is worth a look but their silly algorithms ought to tell them I have seen it!

It was intended to be played on a continuous loop in the foyer of cinemas playing the film; I have some sympathy for the poor staff!

Meanwhile, when I have sorted the 10-hour loop, my neighbours are in for a retro-treat!

The narrator plugs the gimmick, which was that you needed the ghost-viewer to see the spooks. It's a fact that Public Domain copies of this turkey omit all the ghost scenes! :rofl:

If you get the proper, official DVD from a few years ago, the ghost scenes are in it and you get the ghost viewer to see them with.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

I might be wrong but I think 13 Ghosts was the film that William Castle had the brain wave to have a skeleton suspended from the ceiling of the cinema to fly over viewers un expected? ..

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
a skeleton suspended from the ceiling

Nooo! That was "Emergo," developed for The House on Haunted Hill, 1959. The "Illusion-O" gimmick, for 13 Ghosts, was coloured glasses. :Givingup:

Wikipedia has more details about Castle's various gimmicks.

If I had to pick one, it would be the buzzers-on-seats trick he called "Percepto," for The Tingler, 1959. It broke the wall, as they say, when the spine-eating thing was loose in a theatre! On a good day, that might have been a Tinkler!

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
On a more wholesome note, a reminder that Tim Hunkin is continuing to post restored versions of his "Secret Life of . . . " series. on Youtube.

His more recent, workshop-based, Components series is a delight on a Youtube-type budget but the spectacular Car-Henge Finale to the earlier show on The Engine is unlikely to be matched! :loveu:

This episode on The Secret Life of the Fridge is remarkable for its glimpses of the final day of a block-ice factory, though some of its blocks look a bit rusty, I have to say!

Sadly, in the Epilogue to this restored version, we learn about the reason for the absence of Rex Garrod from these retrospectives. RIP. :(

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
150 Years of Bovril
That's a wonderful gallery of old ads. I thought I had seen them all! Years ago, I had the old Bovril by Electrocution one on my very first website. I think I had to scan it from a book called Kitsch! Along with the attempted patent on a wife-beating machine, for which the inventor was fined, not for cruelty but for abusing his own genius!

Bovril was a fixture on the menus of cafés in the UK well into the 1970s, at least. As a salty-dog, from an early age, I liked it; at home, it was more often emulated by the Oxo cube.

These beef-derived elixirs both descend from Liebig's Extract of Meat. As savoury umami-fixes, they were promoted as health-foods, though the truth is that they helped invalids to enjoy or even relish bland broths, encouraging them to eat.

Not such good news for those cattle, who thought they were just going to get their hair permed! :thought:

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
What amazes me is that some-one first comes up with the notion of turning themselves into an owlman - and then works out how to do it.
Sadly my everyday thoughts are more mundane.