The Good Stuff Online Thread

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
An interesting short documentary showing how the visual effects team used complex rotoscoping to create a brief shot in Indian Jones And The Temple Of Doom, more specifically that bit when Indy has just cut the rope bridge and they're hanging off the cliff edge ...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
More madcap nonsense from Bobby Duke!

Probably my favourite Youtube artist.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I always enjoy Simon Webbs 'History Debunked' - I've mentioned him previously.
Some of the topics he addresses can be 'contentious' but he always backs up his information with research and referenced works.
Here, though, he talks about the widespread use of electric vehicles before petrol started to become dominant.
This is just one of a few hundred short films he has made, with his trademark "staring down the barrel of the camera" style.

(I did consider putting this in another thread, maybe the 'electric cars' or 'not as environmentally sound' threads, but felt it was more appropriate in here)

"For all too many people, history consists of no more than a set of familiar and well-worn stories such as the incompetence of First World War British generals, the heroic struggle of the suffragettes and the saintly devotion to duty of Florence Nightingale. We seldom stop to ask ourselves if Florence Nightingale actually saved any lives or whether the suffragettes hindered or helped women to gain the vote. In this channel, Simon Webb, author of many books of popular history, examines some of our favorite historical characters and incidents, looking at the truth behind the myths. We learn, for example, that Magna Carta has nothing to do with habeus corpus or the so-called 'British Values' and that slavers from Africa were raiding England at least half a century before the English began taking slaves from Africa. This channel is for anybody who has ever questioned the stories which they learned during history lessons at school."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I always enjoy Simon Webbs 'History Debunked' - I've mentioned him previously.
I've been watching a lot of him recently. He always comes over as very reasonable and backs his arguments up with evidence.
He's actually a published historian.

Trevp666

Reaction score

Trevp666

Reaction score
Another thing I watch every day is 'Alex Belfield - Voice Of Reason'.
Produces about 8 - 10 short films every day on many varied topical issues, with a whole bunch of 'running gags' and impressions/characters.
Either very informing, or entertaining, but never dull!
Also does a live phone-in on a Sunday evening and a Wednesday evening.
(Alex Belfield has worked for more than 2 decades in Radio and entertainment, has interviewed the top performers from around the world, and before becoming the 'Voice of Reason' hosted his own 'Celebrity Radio' content on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/c/CelebrityRadiobyAlexBelfield/videos

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Another thing I watch every day is 'Alex Belfield - Voice Of Reason'.
Produces about 8 - 10 short films every day on many varied topical issues, with a whole bunch of 'running gags' and impressions/characters.
Either very informing, or entertaining, but never dull!
Also does a live phone-in on a Sunday evening and a Wednesday evening.
(Alex Belfield has worked for more than 2 decades in Radio and entertainment, has interviewed the top performers from around the world, and before becoming the 'Voice of Reason' hosted his own 'Celebrity Radio' content on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/c/CelebrityRadiobyAlexBelfield/videos
I have watched quite a bit of his stuff too. Some of it's OK, but much of it is repetitive sh*t about himself. He's very self-absorbed and pretty rude at times. I call him Alex Bellend now.

Trevp666

Reaction score
A lot of that is deliberate 'troll baiting' though.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
One for Swifty:

I had watched that already but thanks Mytho ... I'm wondering if it's the miniature that was/still is in Planet Hollywood in Vegas. That miniature cabin had a cut out picture of Ash standing in a front window and did have loads of small lights inside it to be used that way for a filmed shot or two ... I'll see if I can re find a pic of the Planet Hollywood one, I do have the details of who built the cabin miniature for Evil Dead 2 in an old Cinifantastique magazine.

Last edited:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Harvard professor that accidentally made a transforming toy. Plus other cool transforming stuff.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Leaping wombat:
Leaping Wombat.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Allegedly genuine photos of Taliban enjoying a relaxing day out in Band-e-Amir National Park, Afghanistan, recently:

f21abed2dab64af0bcff3c9ace1f6482_xl-768x432.jpg

Taliban-ride-swan-boats-with-grenade-launchers3-1024x768.jpg

After a busy week murdering interpreters, oppressing women and killing homosexuals, how better to relax than a nice trip in a paddle boat. Don't forget your AKs, a machine gun and an RPG-7, in case you spot an snorkelling apostate.

maximus otter

Trevp666

Reaction score
I thought it was the Taliban navy.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Fascinating and paced lecture on the Spanish influence on Charles I and his court that covers much else beside:

In 1623, Charles I (as heir to the throne) made a secret and hazardous trip to Madrid to win the hand of a Spanish princess. For eight months he was the guest of the Spanish king, Philip IV, living in the Alcazar of Madrid. The opportunities to study art, architecture and court ceremonial made a profound impact on the 23-year-old Charles, and it influenced his own taste when two years later he inherited the thrones of England and Scotland.