The Good Stuff Online Thread

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Fascinating and paced lecture on the Spanish influence on Charles I and his court that covers much else beside:

In 1623, Charles I (as heir to the throne) made a secret and hazardous trip to Madrid to win the hand of a Spanish princess. For eight months he was the guest of the Spanish king, Philip IV, living in the Alcazar of Madrid. The opportunities to study art, architecture and court ceremonial made a profound impact on the 23-year-old Charles, and it influenced his own taste when two years later he inherited the thrones of England and Scotland.

Checking out a bride-to-be was usually left up a very trusted friend and Charlie was particularly foolish in that adventure. Religious tensions at the time were still high between England and Spain and he could have ended up a very expensive hostage. The population was happy though as he didn't succeed.

It was not uncommon for young heirs or monarchs to disguise themselves and do a friendly stalk of a potential bride. Henry VIII would often burst into his bride-to-be's bed-chamber dressed like a gamekeeper or something and burst into song. (Sounds like a bit of a knob even in his younger days "oh my liege you are soo witty!")

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
That mirror is insane!,
Very clever piece of kit, I would love one but I'm guessing it's some super expensive art installation type piece.

Amazing though ! Good find Swifty.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
That mirror is insane!,
Very clever piece of kit, I would love one but I'm guessing it's some super expensive art installation type piece.

Amazing though ! Good find Swifty.
Ta .. I nicked it from B3TA.

Swifty

Reaction score
The entire history of the Mars confectionary company ... this would make a good movie, it's way more interesting than I was expecting it to be ..

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The most important device in the universe

Standing amid his life’s work inside a cavernous warehouse in San Fernando, John Zabrucky is eager to show off what he calls his most famous “machine.”

But first, he must scuttle past a spaceship command deck, rows of computer consoles, radar scanners, shelves packed with sophisticated high-tech gadgetry — and even an alien autopsy, before arriving at the futuristic device.

iu

“We did this for the original ‘Incredible Hulk,’ the TV series, back in the late ’70s,” said Zabrucky, the founder and president of Modern Props.

Since then, the device has been seen in more than 100 feature films and TV shows, including “Austin Powers” and multiple episodes of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Giving it a once-over, Zabrucky adds with a sparkle of pride, “You can see how well it’s made.” The apparatus has turned up in so many shows that a fan created a YouTube video devoted to its many appearances, dubbing it “The most important device in the universe.”

Zabrucky’s magnum opus, with its pair of giant elongated glass tubes that glow variously in yellow, red and orange, operated by a cutting-edge control board with dials, buttons and a joy stick, looks as if it would be right at home inside the CERN particle collider lab in Switzerland.

Modern Props is a Hollywood institution, but after 42 years in the business, Zabrucky has decided to close shop.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-01-03/modern-props-closes-its-doors

maximus otter

Swifty

Reaction score

Standing amid his life’s work inside a cavernous warehouse in San Fernando, John Zabrucky is eager to show off what he calls his most famous “machine.”

But first, he must scuttle past a spaceship command deck, rows of computer consoles, radar scanners, shelves packed with sophisticated high-tech gadgetry — and even an alien autopsy, before arriving at the futuristic device.

iu

“We did this for the original ‘Incredible Hulk,’ the TV series, back in the late ’70s,” said Zabrucky, the founder and president of Modern Props.

Since then, the device has been seen in more than 100 feature films and TV shows, including “Austin Powers” and multiple episodes of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Giving it a once-over, Zabrucky adds with a sparkle of pride, “You can see how well it’s made.” The apparatus has turned up in so many shows that a fan created a YouTube video devoted to its many appearances, dubbing it “The most important device in the universe.”

Zabrucky’s magnum opus, with its pair of giant elongated glass tubes that glow variously in yellow, red and orange, operated by a cutting-edge control board with dials, buttons and a joy stick, looks as if it would be right at home inside the CERN particle collider lab in Switzerland.

Modern Props is a Hollywood institution, but after 42 years in the business, Zabrucky has decided to close shop.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-01-03/modern-props-closes-its-doors

maximus otter
The second most important device in the universe

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score

iu

maximus otter
I suggest we call it 'the Wilhelm device'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Calling a scammer by his real name really spooks them

Techy is a senior IT technician. When I first came across these videos I showed them to him on our big TV so he could see all the steps.
When the scammers are pranked or as here, given a scare, he howls with laughter. :rollingw:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Man vapes Caroline Reaper, recognised by the Guinness Book of Records as the world's hottest chilli .. NSFW swearing

Looks like that stuff has made his teeth fall out. o_O

Swifty

Reaction score
A young man selling us a how to breakdance kit who went on to play Carlton in The Fresh Prince Of Bell Air ..

TheMany

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Talking of goodstuff online...

I regularly listen to The Unexplained with Howard Hughes on talk radio. Bit are there another Fortean radio shows, pod casts or youtube channels that I am being a fool by missing out on?

Thanks

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
As you may also have, came across a namesake poet.

Decided to investigate further and have no hesitation in suggesting same:

Ames Reading Series: Charles Fort, September 15, 2005

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This young man is sooo dangerous. And funny!