• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Gorbals Vampire

A

Anonymous

Glasgow Cemetary Vampire: With Steel Teeth

Tales From The Crypt
Way back in the early 1950's, when the moral panic about Horror Comics was at its height, there was a minor outbreak of mass hysteria amongst kids in Glasgow.

In those days small newsagents and grocers, in Scotland, used to stock imported American comics, like EC Comics with their popular horror and crime titles. There was already a furore in the US about these and similiar imprints. Their content was leading to moral turpitude and dissolution amongst the nation's youth.

Anyway, one day a rumour went the rounds, amongst some kids in Glasgow, that there was a vampire haunting one of the city's cemetaries. A vampire with steel teeth!

Two Fisted Tales
Such was the strength of the rumour that pretty soon there was a mob of kids in a state of high excitement ready to burst into the cemetary and deal with the monster. The aftermath was that there were questions asked in the House of Commons about the availability of the dreadful American comics and demands that they be banned.

Crime Does Not Pay
Does anybody know any more about this story? I've checked the net and not found much.

Villain with Steel Teeth

There was an American comic book villain around this same time (early 1950s) named "Ironjaw" who had a steel plate bolted across his lower face, covering his mouth. The oral opening cut into the steel plate sported sharp steel teeth top and bottom.

I seached but couldn't find anything particularly relevant - or the Mass Hysteria thread:
Child vampire hunters sparked comic crackdown

When Pc Alex Deeprose was called to Glasgow's sprawling Southern Necropolis on the evening of 23 September 1954, he expected to be dealing with a simple case of vandalism.

But the bizarre sight that awaited him was to make headlines around the world and cause a moral panic that led to the introduction of strict new censorship laws in the UK.

Hundreds of children aged from four to 14, some of them armed with knives and sharpened sticks, were patrolling inside the historic graveyard.

They were, they told the bemused constable, hunting a 7ft tall vampire with iron teeth who had already kidnapped and eaten two local boys.

Fear of the so-called Gorbals Vampire had spread to many of their parents, who begged Pc Deeprose for assurances there was no truth to the rumours.

Newspapers at the time reported that the headmaster of a nearby primary school told everyone present that the tale was ridiculous, and police were finally able to disperse the crowd.

But the armed mob of child vampire hunters was to return immediately after sunset the following night, and the night after that.

Ronnie Sanderson, who was an eight-year-old schoolboy in the Gorbals area of the city when the vampire scare was at its height, described how Chinese whispers in the schoolyard escalated into full-blown panic.

He recalled: "It all started in the playground - the word was there was a vampire and everyone was going to head out there after school.

"At three o'clock the school emptied and everyone made a beeline for it. We sat there for ages on the wall waiting and waiting. I wouldn't go in because it was a bit scary for me.
Ronnie Sanderson and Tam Smith
Ronnie Sanderson (left) and Tam Smith joined the vampire hunters

"I think somebody saw someone wandering about and the cry went up: 'There's the vampire!'

"That was it - that was the word to get off that wall quick and get away from it.

"I just remember scampering home to my mother: 'What's the matter with you?' 'I've seen a vampire!' and I got a clout round the ear for my trouble. I didn't really know what a vampire was."

There were no records of any missing children in Glasgow at the time, and media reports of the incident began to search for the origins of the urban myth that had gripped the city.

The blame was quickly laid at the door of American comic books with chilling titles such as Tales From The Crypt and The Vault of Horror, whose graphic images of terrifying monsters were becoming increasingly popular among Scottish youngsters.

These comics, so the theory went, were corrupting the imaginations of children and inflaming them with fear of the unknown.

A few dissenting academics pointed out there was no mention of a creature matching the description of the Gorbals Vampire in any of these comics.

There was, however, a monster with iron teeth in the Bible (Daniel 7.7) and in a poem taught in local schools.
Southern Necropolis
The Southern Necropolis provided the perfect setting for a vampire story

But their voices were drowned out in the media and political frenzy that was by now demanding action to be taken to prevent even more young minds from being "polluted" by the "terrifying and corrupt" comic books.

The government responded to the clamour by introducing the Children and Young Persons (Harmful Publications) Act 1955 which, for the first time, specifically banned the sale of magazines and comics portraying "incidents of a repulsive or horrible nature" to minors.

Another of those who had gathered at the graveyard as a child, Tam Smith, said the Necropolis provided the perfect stage for a vampire story to take root, with the noise and light from the nearby ironworks casting spooky shadows across the graves in which some 250,000 Glaswegians had been laid to rest.

Mr Smith said it had been common for naughty children in the area to be threatened with the Iron Man - a local equivalent of the Bogeyman - by their exasperated parents.

Neither Mr Smith or Mr Sanderson had televisions in their homes at the time, and neither had ever seen a horror movie or read a horror comic.

Comic book expert Barry Forshaw said getting their hands on one of the underground American horror comics had been like finding the Holy Grail for schoolyards of British children reared on the squeaky clean fare found every week inside the Beano and Dandy - both of which are produced in Scotland.

The story of the Gorbals Vampire had been a gift to the unlikely alliance of teachers, communists and Christians who had their own individual reasons for crusading against the corrupting influence of American comics, he said.

Mr Forshaw added: "It was a perfect fit. Here was a campaign that was looking for things to justify itself, and then this event happens.

"It is ironic that the moral furore began in Scotland, where the comics could not have been more safe."

The Gorbals Vampire will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 2300 GMT on Tuesday 30 March, and will be available on BBC iPlayer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8574484.stm

I've never visited, but that necropolis looks really atmospheric with gothic gravestones leaning at awkward angles and ivy flooding over everything. Add a foggy autumn night, and you've all the ingredients for a 10year old to get staked by a jumpy neighbour.

Interesting stuff from the mass-hysteria rather than a supernatural perspective.

I knew there was an earlier Thread, duly merged. I've kept the new title, though.

'The Gorbals Vampire', a weird merging of old and new, folk and urban cultural lore.

NOTE: The pre-2019 posts relating to the Gorbals / iron-toothed vampire story have now been removed from the compendium thread into which they'd been merged and moved into a newer thread dedicated to this story.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Mr Smith said it had been common for naughty children in the area to be threatened with the Iron Man - a local equivalent of the Bogeyman - by their exasperated parents...

Can anyone local elaborate on this?

I'm interested in how the bogeyman manifests himself in different cultures. I know that in much of South America he's some kind of variation on Bag Man (a reference to the sack he uses to carry off children), and my ex, who was from the Carribean, had heard of the Small Man and the Cart Man. Tonton Macoute translates as something like Uncle Knapsack; a fairly innocuous sounding name for Pap Doc's infamous private militia until you realise it was borrowed from the Haitian bogeyman (that bag again).

There are also variations within cultures as well, quite often associated with very specific events, individuals or places and I'm wondering if there's a specific story behind the Iron Man?

Edit: I've just found a pretty good list of analogues on Wiki. Interesting that the Icelandic Grýla is the mother of their version of Santa - talk about carrot and stick. Also interesting in that Grýla is a rare examples of the bogeyman not being male

Spookdaddy said:
I'm interested in how the bogeyman manifests himself in different cultures. I know that in much of South America he's some kind of variation on Bag Man (a reference to the sack he uses to carry off children)....

There's a theory - I'll not offer an opinion as to how good or bad - that the "bogeyman" was originally the "Bog Mann," a priest of Bog during the period when Central Europe was first Christianizing. The cities were populated by Christians while the countryside was still largely Pagan.

According to my source the Bog-Men at least occasionally sneaked into the cities to grab Christian (and Jewish, too) children for human sacrifice.

Thus the parental admonition, "Keep acting that way and the Bog-Mann will get you!"

I'm wondering if there's a specific story behind the Iron Man?

As I pointed out earlier in this thread one of the US comic books in question featured a villain known as "Iron Jaw," whose mouth was covered by an affixed steel plate with sharp metal teeth cut into it. Mightn't that be the connection?

OldTimeRadio said:
...As I pointed out earlier in this thread one of the US comic books in question featured a villain known as "Iron Jaw," whose mouth was covered by an affixed steel plate with sharp metal teeth cut into it. Mightn't that be the connection?

I suspect that the 'bogeyman' is an idea that originates with the older generation (I'm no folklorist or anthropologist so someone shout at me if I'm way wide of the mark): something which may adapt over time but which is generally speaking an inheritance from a previous age, rather than an acquisition from the present one.

Parents are often ignorant of, or mystified by, the cultural interests of their children. I can imagine a child reading something that affects them and then using the motif to scare their own children when they grow into adulthood but I'm not sure that adults are always familiar enough with what is currently shityerpants scary in their childrens world for them to deploy the threat effectively themselves. I can imagine the readers of those comics morphing a character and using it on themselves at the time or on their children later in life - I'm just not sure that the parents of the readers would be connected enough to use it at the time.

(Sorry, I'm not sure I explained that very well - I know what I mean.)

OldTimeRadio said:
Spookdaddy said:

I'm wondering if there's a specific story behind the Iron Man?

As I pointed out earlier in this thread one of the US comic books in question featured a villain known as "Iron Jaw," whose mouth was covered by an affixed steel plate with sharp metal teeth cut into it. Mightn't that be the connection?
A link to a comic featuring, 'Iron Jaw', from 1942:
http://gregwhitecomics.com/product.sc?productId=16

Some info on the character:
http://www.comicvine.com/iron-jaw/29-25992/

Could be significant.

Can I just point out, the Necropolis mentioned in the BBC radio programme and the newspaper artcles is not the same necropolis mentioned, and linked to, in the this thread by Glamarama and KeyserXSoze.

Horror Comics Blamed for 1950s Scottish Vampire Panic
March 17, 2016
By Maren Williams

The year was 1954. The location: Glasgow, Scotland’s Southern Necropolis, a massive graveyard harboring over 250,000 sets of mortal remains. Over a span of three nights that September hundreds of children under the age of 14 reportedly assembled there with makeshift weapons, ready to take on a vampire they had conjured from their own collective imagination. That would be bizarre enough, but then adults blamed the unusual behavior on their own particular bogeyman: American horror comics.

The fantastic story of the Gorbals Vampire was recounted in a BBC Radio 4 documentary in 2010, including interviews with some of the now middle-aged former vigilantes. Rumors had run through Glasgow schoolyards that a seven foot tall vampire with iron teeth and a taste for children was on the prowl in the area. He had already eaten two boys, they believed despite the fact that none were missing, and would certainly come for more unless he was stopped. Adults proved typically useless in this scenario, so they took matters into their own hands. ...

http://cbldf.org/2016/03/horror-comics-blamed-for-1950s-scottish-vampire-panic/

I can find references to this phenomenon scattered about, but nor a dedicated thread.

BBC Sounds currently has their 2010 30min documentary on the Gorbals Vampire available : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b00rmt00

In September 1954 hundreds of Glasgow schoolchildren crowded into a Gorbals graveyard to hunt for a Vampire with Iron Teeth. Novelist Louise Welsh discovers how the "Gorbals Vampire" led to a change in Britain's censorship laws. In 1954 in Glasgow's Southern Necropolis cemetery hundreds of local children, ranging in ages from 4 to 14, were discovered by police roaming between the crypts. They were armed with sharpened sticks, knives stolen from home and stakes. They said they were hunting down "a vampire with iron teeth" that they believed had kidnapped and eaten two local boys. The local press got hold of the story of what became known as the 'Gorbals Vampire' and it soon went national. The press and politicians cast around for an explanation. They soon found one in the wave of American Horror comics with names like "Astounding Stories" and "Tales from the Crypt" which had recently flooded into the west of Scotland. Academics pointed out that none of the comics featured a vampire with iron teeth, though there was a monster with iron teeth in the Bible (Daniel 7.7) and in a poem taught in local schools. Their voices were drowned out in a full-blown moral panic about the effect that terrifying comics were having on children. Soon the case of the "Gorbals Vampire" was international news. The British Press raged against the "terrifying, corrupt" comics and after a heated debate in the House of Commons where the case of Gorbals Vampire was cited, Britain passed the Children and Young Persons (Harmful Publications) Act 1955 which, for the first time, specifically banned the sale of magazines and comics portraying "incidents of a repulsive or horrible nature" to minors.

It's still known about as a weird thing that happened; I haven't yet met any of the children directly involved though!

I can find references to this phenomenon scattered about, but nor a dedicated thread.

A number of prior postings on the Gorbals vampire story started out in a dedicated thread, then got merged into a compendium thread. I've rounded up those earlier relevant postings and moved them here within this new (and once again dedicated) thread.

Back