• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Graffiti & Street Art Thread

tilly50

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I guess this is not very fortean but I find it interesting.

My youngest has recently been going round old castles and abbeys photographing them for a dissertation. As he cannot drive I take him to these sites and then have a wonder around by myself while he gets on with his stuff.

What I have noticed, and think is quite interesting, is that when you look at the graffiti on the old walls a few things become apparent. The old graffiti, that is pre 20th century, is of a high quality, almost draftsman standard. The letters are well formed and deeply incised into the rock, they are well spaced and in line, sometimes there is even a crest or other insignia included. They are usually of the "I was here" type and there are few lovers hearts, just a name and date.

You find that the lovers hearts come later on, about WW1. The letters are still clear but the type of letter is not the same and the appearance is generally less crisp. Dates appear less frequently and when they do they are not full.

Later still you find the writing getting scruffier and nicknames used instead of a given name (Macca woz ere) The letters are badly formed and there is scant attention to the line of the writing. The carving too is less deeply etched.

Recent graffiti takes two turns, on the one hand it has degenerated into a defacing scrawl, marking the surface for the sake of it with no thought to any artistic merit. On the other hand there is a type of graffiti that shows a great deal of artistic thought with highly styalised letter forms and motifs.

The increasing use of the spray can is saddening on old buildings but graffiti has been on our castle, cathedral and city walls for centuries, and I think that notice should be taken of the passing trends in its style and form.

As I said, not very fortean.

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges a bit here?

If you're going to take the time to carve graffito into stone blocks, you'd most likely put a little more effort into form.

At least you can wash grafitti off. You can't wash an incised inscription off.

Thank you Philo, I stand corrected.

I am comparing the differing standards of graffito as time passes. The old carved names are of a much better standard than the recent carvings.

The graffiti is done with a variety of paints and some are fibre tip. There is little to show that they are cleaned off and where they have been there is evidence of damage to the stone.[/u]

I feel the same way about this

Work means I spend a lot of time in churches all over the UK. I often marvel at the elaborate copperplate or cursive scripts 17th 18th and 19th C vandals used to record names and dates in porches, on monuments or on other discrete places around the church.

In a perverse way I’m always saddened when I see some 21st century wit has only managed "SazZa rlz 2003" in a nearly illegible scrawl barley 2mm deep.

Sigh!! They can’t even vandalise well these days

Mr P

Edit: Example below: From the same church porch (St Denis' Church, Silk Willoughby, Lincolnshire) The "tag" of one Thomas Doughty-1630 and over 350 years later, KAZ-2006 (note this is also scratched over one of two very intricate knot / maze patterns of unknown date)

360years.jpg

There's supposed to be an early 14th Century British battlefield inscription in France, possibly at Crecy, which reads something like:

"Christ, I wish I was home in bed screwing my wife."

Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks mrpoultice! Your photographs show what I mean exactly.

I went to a cave in the pyrenees that had some really lovely copperplate graffitti, 3-400 years old, in charcoal on the wall.

A positive look at the KAZ 2006 could be that it's a side-product of widespread literacy? :roll:

There's some great 18th-century grafitti on the ceilings in Corgaff Castle, created with candle smoke iirc. And some excellent carved stuff in Edinburgh Castle - particularly in the Prisoners of War exhibition.

I vaguely recall seeing Lord Byron's name as graffiti at the Acropolis (Parthenon) in Athens.

H_James said:
yep, me too. IIRC there's some other runic graffitti around orkney, but I can't remember where :s
Ring of Brodgar, on the stones nearest the road.

I must be crazy to think of Fortean Times posts when I'm on holiday ... but I was reminded of this post when I saw this graffiti in the Freiburg cathedral:

Nice lettering - could this be the name of a trombone player?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/nice-graffiti.jpg

But not everyone was good at scratching pictures - this one is maybe older but not very good:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/nice-graffiti02.jpg

And finally a moder one - but weird - I saw this one on an underpass in Luxemburg. Someone took the trouble to draw - and name - all the anatomical details of the male member :roll: At least I learned that it's called "Jean Pierre" in French.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/penis-graffiti.jpg

Some of the graffiti in the tombs of the valley of the kings is ancient, in Latin and Greek, and quite beautiful.

Earl of Glasgow asks to keep graffiti mural

A peer has asked to keep a controversial graffiti mural on the walls of his family's 13th century castle in Ayrshire.
The Earl of Glasgow has written to Historic Scotland asking if the exhibit can remain as a permanent feature of Kelburn Castle in Largs.
The mural features a psychedelic series of interwoven cartoons depicting surreal urban culture.
It was completed by Brazilian graffiti artists in 2007 at a cost of £20,000.

It was permitted by North Ayrshire Council on the understanding that it was temporary.
A three-year limit was put on the graffiti, pending the start of work to replace the harling render on the exterior of the turret.

The castle is located in the grounds of Kelburn Estate, which also houses a country centre open to the public and featuring a series of outdoor attractions.

Last month the mural was named as one of the world's top ten examples of street art by author and designer Tristan Manco - on a par with Banksy's work in Los Angeles and the Favela Morro Da Providencia in Rio de Janeiro.

The latest memorandum of guidance published by Historic Scotland states that owners of listed properties should only use "historically correct colours in a manner which is appropriate to the building".

The Earl of Glasgow, Patrick Boyle, whose family has been in Kelburn Castle for 800 years, has written to Historic Scotland seeking to establish whether it is likely the agency would object if he sought consent from the local authority to allow the graffiti to stay indefinitely.

He said: "In the three years that the mural has been on the castle it has attracted enormous interest from around the world and it is loved by everyone who sees it.
"It has become a landmark and a talking point and it has given the castle and the estate a whole new character."

The peer said he realised there were strict rules governing the preservation of historic buildings, but insisted the graffiti added to the character of the castle rather than diminished it.
He added: "What we now call historic buildings have always been drivers of fashion in architecture and design.
"Features that we now take for granted would have seemed radical in their day. The mural might look a bit outlandish and futuristic but if it provokes interest and makes people smile, why shouldn't it stay?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-14700161

I finally got to look at See No Evil yesterday. For those unaware, Nelson Street in central Bristol was once part of the Medieval city that was blitzed into rubble, and resurrected post-War as a massive grey, depressing concrete ravine. It leads from the city centre proper to the main central shopping area. It's about as brutal as 60s architecture got.

So, given the city council's fondness for Banksy (and the amount of money he brings in) they forked out a bit to allow street artists from the world over a huge, legal canvas. Only the best were approached, but in return were given free-reign and cherry pickers. And the result is stunning!

There's a Flickr slideshow here, but up-close the transformation is absolutely breath-taking.

Some of those murals are really good!

Funnily enough I was lamenting the poor quality of modern graffiti only a couple of days ago. I recently had cause to peruse some of the most appallingly unimaginative drivel I've ever read on a toilet wall - the situation made all the more depressing by the fact that said toilet was in a University of Edinburgh building. The only point of interest among all the Hibs and Hearts patter was the fact that one guy had managed to spell 'ha,ha,ha' wrongly.

I was slightly heartened by 'Paco is disingenuous to the point of mendacity', which appeared somewhat later and does at least imply that the writer knows one end of a dictionary from the other.

(Incidentally, if you actually contacted one of those chaps who leave a number requesting 'cock fun' and then turned up to his flat in a chicken costume while riding a unicycle and juggling a couple of live monkeys, I wonder if you could be done under the trades description act?)

I was impressed that the graffitti near my flat said "copulate" rather than the usual "fuck"

Daftbugger1 said:
I was impressed that the graffitti near my flat said "copulate" rather than the usual "fuck"

Is that in Oxford or Cambridge? Yeah, you get a better class of graffiti there. :)

There used to be a great pub in Lancaster called 'The Brown Cow' (before they amended it, thereby ruining its charm. In the outside gents toilet I recall someone writing "The Romans came here in A.D. 56, and f*ck all's happened since"!.

Mythopoeika said:
Daftbugger1 said:

Is that in Oxford or Cambridge? Yeah, you get a better class of graffiti there. :)
Sheffield...

I was a student in Sheffield, so I know it reasonably well (although things have probably changed a lot in the intervening years).
My nephew also went to uni there recently.

Well, it was on Plum Lane, down the side of the car hire place. Has since been cleaned up. although it was there for a couple of years at least.

Last Saturday night I noticed in the gents of my local pub that someone had written the line: 'It's never too late to be the person you could have been.'

My thoughts: Uplifting, I'm sure - and nice to know that someone's been reading their George Eliot; but, to be honest, if you feel the need to write that on a urinal wall in a slightly dodgy northern boozer, then it probably is.

I recently had cause to peruse some of the most appallingly unimaginative drivel I've ever read on a toilet wall - the situation made all the more depressing by the fact that said toilet was in a University of Edinburgh building.

I don't recall the quality of Uni toilet graffiti being very good at mine cira late 80s, the most one could usually hope for in the Computer Science block was a bit on the loo roll dispenser, which at that time still had those square 'greaseproof' sheets, which read "Sociology Degrees - Please Take One".

OldTimeRadio said:
There's supposed to be an early 14th Century British battlefield inscription in France, possibly at Crecy, which reads something like:

"Christ, I wish I was home in bed screwing my wife."

Can anyone verify this for me?

That sounds very much like a 16th century song, "Westron Wind":

O Western wind when wilt thou blow
That small rain down can rain:--
Christ, that my love were in my arms
And I in my bed again

-- the words are said to date back a few hundred years further at least, and I'm sure the sentiment has been shared by soldiers everywhere for millennia.

Back