• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Graffiti & Street Art Thread

I really love street art, not the crude stuff done by idiots, but the real art work, the 3D stuff is my favourite, i think we should have more of it to brighten up our dingy world

My mum is in a care home in our town, so popped over as I do on Sunday to drop off her magazines that she reads. I can't see her for obvious reasons.

I took my camera so that I could take some photos as I went back home along the prom.

This is written on a bush shelter over the road (sorry couldn't get it clearer but could be bothered walking a long way round with my push iron.

01 Covid graffiti.jpg

I expect this recent graffiti was satire remarking on the latest statue toppling bullshit? ..

View attachment 27732

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsl...copenhagen/ar-BB16iRyq?li=BBoPRmx&ocid=TSHDHP

It's been done before. By anti-whaling campaigners etc. Some people have a fixation on the statue.

“I am having a hard time seeing what is particularly racist in the fairy tale ‘The Little Mermaid,’” Ane Grum-Schwensen, a researcher at the H.C. Andersen Center at University of Southern Denmark, told local news wire Ritzau.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/03/copenhagens-little-mermaid-branded-racist-fish/

It's been done before. By anti-whaling campaigners etc. Some people have a fixation on the statue.

“I am having a hard time seeing what is particularly racist in the fairy tale ‘The Little Mermaid,’” Ane Grum-Schwensen, a researcher at the H.C. Andersen Center at University of Southern Denmark, told local news wire Ritzau.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/03/copenhagens-little-mermaid-branded-racist-fish/
I'm getting 'this page can't be displayed' on the nypost link ...

I'm getting 'this page can't be displayed' on the nypost link ...

Works for me.

Here are more relevant details from the story. It doesn't say why other groups targeted the statue or elaborate on the film controversy.

Police said it had not yet identified the perpetrators. The 107-year-old sculpture, which is visited by 1 million tourists each year, has been vandalized before, including by anti-whaling campaigners and pro-democracy activists, twice suffering decapitation.

The Little Mermaid has not been part of this debate, but last year a Disney live-action remake of the 1989 animated film of the same name was the subject of controversy after African American actress Halle Bailey was cast in the central role.

I know he uses stencils but how would this be done - several stencils done in parts, or one massive stencil done with plastic sheeting which can be rolled out for the whole thing, with the window & street name masked?

Is it Banksy? It's a copy of an illustration from Alice In Wonderland.

Mysterious stranger poses as Illinois building owner to commission Soviet-style Cookie Monster mural
Joshua Hawkins still has no idea who hired him to paint a mural of the Cookie Monster on a commercial building in Peoria, Ill. — but it sure wasn't the owner.

The Illinois artist says a man purporting to be the property owner commissioned him to realize a very specific artistic vision, reminiscent of a Soviet-era propaganda poster, of the beloved Sesame Street character holding up a cookie shooting a rainbow over a cityscape with the Russian words, "Peace. Land. Cookies."

"I asked him for the backstory, and he just said, 'Well, this is what I like, and this is what I want,' and then he left it at that," Hawkins told As It Happens host Carol Off.

"The guy, he contacted me, and we met twice. So I'd know him if I saw him, but apparently he gave me a fake name, as I found out. And so I still have no idea who he is."

Hawkins says he finished the job Sunday after American Thanksgiving. Three days later, the building's actual owner called him. He got Hawkins' number from some business cards he'd passed out while he was painting.

"He got pretty irate and sent a few choice words my way. And I thought at first it was a prank," Hawkins said.

"And then as the phone conversation went on, he had threatened to call the police and press charges on me. Then that's when I kind of realized, OK, maybe he's not pranking then. I offered to paint over it for him and he told me he didn't believe a word of my lies, then said a few more choice words and hung up the phone on me."

cookie-monster-mural.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...n-soviet-style-cookie-monster-mural-1.5834963

My wife's eldest used to live in Totterdown. She is now in Cheltenham but would rather still be in Bristol.

I get that what he does is good and sometimes thought provoking but I'm not sure that I understand the hero worship level of attention he gets.

I've lived around Totterdown for the majority of my life, either side of it, but never actually in it. I have spent a good deal of time there though and have quite a few friends there.
I get that what he does is good and sometimes thought provoking but I'm not sure that I understand the hero worship level of attention he gets.
From what I understand he's slightly bemused by it, still.

Hope it doesn't get painted over, it's brilliant!
Too Late :(

cookie-monster-3-1024x768.jpg

The real Comte painted over the mural before Hawkins could get anything better than a few snaps on his phone. All told, his handiwork existed for about a week. By the time Artnet News reached him, the real Comte said only that he couldn’t comment. He had, however, spoken to the Peoria Journal-Star: “It wasn’t a mural. It was graffiti,” Comte told the paper.

Nevertheless, residents of the city of just over 100,000 are angry at him for painting it over. “Now I’m the evil Grinch and getting hate mail,” he said. The site itself, meanwhile, has become a memorial of sorts, according to a photo posted on Twitter, with mural-loving members of the public leaving behind teddy bears, flowers, and candles.

EovAMMPWMAATKT9

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/soviet-style-cookie-monster-mural-1929712

Back