• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Graffiti & Street Art Thread

I finished it but I was more into science in those days. Lent it to a couple of people, eventually didn't get it back.

I read it, quite enjoyed it. :)

Graffiti? Well, I've got a "Dead Bod" t-shirt and there was once a brilliant message painted along a wall just off Holderness Road here in Hull. I can't recall it word for word but it was something like "The choices I made are the reason that I am where I am". In foot high letters...no profanities, no expressions of support for a football team and no pretensions of art. Somebody was just so resigned or plain pissed off they thought they'd tell the world. I thought it was quite poignant at the time.

It's too spoon to say that!

Motorists using the M25 have been left devastated after an iconic piece of graffiti which asked people to “Give Peas a Chance” was replaced.

The slogan has adorned the Chalfont Viaduct over the M25 in Buckinghamshire for more than 20 years, becoming a welcome sight for commuters to mark the fact they are nearly home.

A Facebook group celebrating the graffiti, between junctions 16 and 17, hailed the sign a landmark and gained more than 8,000 dedicated followers in the last eight years.

However, people were left outraged over the weekend after the '"Peas" slogan was blacked out and then replaced with “Helch”, later turning into “Give Helch a break”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...a-chance-m25-graffiti-is-erased-a3941311.html

Motorists using the M25 have been left devastated after an iconic piece of graffiti which asked people to “Give Peas a Chance” was replaced.

The slogan has adorned the Chalfont Viaduct over the M25 in Buckinghamshire for more than 20 years, becoming a welcome sight for commuters to mark the fact they are nearly home.

A Facebook group celebrating the graffiti, between junctions 16 and 17, hailed the sign a landmark and gained more than 8,000 dedicated followers in the last eight years.

However, people were left outraged over the weekend after the '"Peas" slogan was blacked out and then replaced with “Helch”, later turning into “Give Helch a break”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...a-chance-m25-graffiti-is-erased-a3941311.html
I'm going that way tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for that.
I remember when it just said 'Peas'. Then somebody added more words.

As an habitual collector of graffiti - from high level guerrilla street art, to the toilet wall scrawlings of the terminally forlorn - I've long been thinking about starting a thread. And here's one fully formed - which somehow passed me by.

To start with - a very poor photo of sad words written in a bathroom. Possibly the most erudite piece of toilet wall philosophising I've seen, and somehow quite poignant:

Paco 4.jpg

Last edited:
I found this one autumn morning at the Leith end of the Water of Leith path in Edinburgh.

You'd assume someone's birthday, but then I got to thinking - maybe it's court date, or a police interview, or the day a debt becomes due.

Doesn't take much of a shift in perception to make an apparently innocent scrawl look not quite so innocent:

George 4.jpg

As an habitual collector of graffiti - from high level guerrilla street art, to the toilet wall scrawlings lf the terminally forlorn - I've long been thinking about starting a thread. And here's one fully formed - which somehow passed me by.

To start with - a very poor photo of sad words written in a bathroom. Possibly the most erudite piece of toilet wall philosophising I've seen, and somehow quite poignant:

View attachment 11811
I once sent DavidPlankton some wild scrawling notes that a tramp with a massive beard and a thousand yard stare used to conceal in random places around Cromer .. the closest anyone could get to working out what they meant was a mixture of ancient theatre font combined with angular designs, doodles of jelly babies and stars .. he might pass them on to you if he's still got them, wants to and you send him a pm? ..

Possibly the most erudite piece of toilet wall philosophising I've seen, and somehow quite poignant:

It seems to be a meme, rather than a heart-felt sigh about any particular Paco. It is mentioned on this archived Reddit page, for instance.

The phrase "disingenuous to the point of mendacity" sounds like one of those circumlocutions used by MPs to avoid directly accusing the opposition of lying. A quick search confirms that this form of words turns up in political contexts, though no one yet seems to have tracked its history. :thought:

Last edited:
It seems to be a meme, rather than a heart-felt sigh about any particular Paco. It is mentioned on this archived Reddit page, for instance..

Right. I remember at the time wondering if it was some sort of 'thing', but couldn't find anything online at the time (and I've never seen it since).

Mind you, I'm not sure how hard I looked - it was a few years ago now.

There is a famous one that used to be quoted in discussions, in the days when "cottages" were home-from-home to some characters.

In bold felt-tip, one had gone in for a bit of Freudian self-analysis:

MY MOTHER MADE ME A HOMOSEXUAL!

There was a plaintive note in the line pencilled beneath:

If I got her the wool, would she make me one? :hunger:

Last edited:
"We are the people our parents warned us about"

Used to see this occasionally in pub bogs.

Around Tradeston in Glasgow, there's quite a few places with 'I love you' graffitied on the walls. I suppose it makes a pleasant change from the usual type of stuff, like 'xxx is a grass' and the like, but I feel something kinda creepy about it, walking past these walls feels almost like I'm intruding on something that is very sincere and very heartfelt.

Although, since I tend to walk past very early in the mornings on the way to work, it may just be my tired brain reading far too much into it.

There was an 18ft high Bill Board opposite the main enterance to my Campus in Aldgate and a giant poster for Mates condoms went up one day. It took less than 2 weeks for one of our Wimmin groups to find a cherry tree ladder and change

Mates condoms. The male contraception women prefer
to
Mates condoms Castration. The male contraception .....

There was an 18ft high Bill Board opposite the main enterance to my Campus in Aldgate and a giant poster for Mates condoms went up one day. It took less than 2 weeks for one of our Wimmin groups to find a cherry tree ladder and change

Mates condoms. The male contraception women prefer
to
Mates condoms Castration. The male contraception .....
That was good of them .. Wimmins groups are always well balanced and charitable like that bless em.

There's some graffiti in a cubicle in the public gents at North Lodge Park in Cromer that reads:

"Be here tomorrow at 6:30 and I'll suck your cock." .. written in black biro.

.. underneath that in blue biro, someone's written "Where were you?."

Last edited:
Yeah bless em - I guess they could plead provocation.
I wonder if that was a genuine response? .. it was/is if it's still there in different handwriting as well.

There used to be a sign up in the gents in a pub in Sheringham that read:

"PLEASE DONT PUT YOUR CIGARETTES OUT IN THE URINALS, IT MAKES THEM SOGGY AND HARD TO RE-LIGHT"

A favourite of mine in the early 80's were the adverts for Bourne Shirts at London Marylebone as you descended the long escalator to the Bakerloo line

Bourne Shirts
Dress Proper
Brush up your Body Language

(Black marker pen)

Bourne Shirts
Dress Properly
Brush up your Body English Language !

Back