• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grave Of Robin Hood

The Kirklees Vampire

What am I supposed to be protesting about exactly?

The hauntings at Kirklees are referred to as "mumbo jumbo" by an Armytage ,yet Bishop Manchester who wrote this article now says he enjoys convivial relationshops with the clan??? There is also a possibility that he will be asked to bless the site,well as he introduced the vampires onto the land in the first place so he may as well get rid of them also !!! Makes sense ! I reported paranormal happenings from independent sources, I don't think that reputable people like the Ghost Club and Society for psychical research, who do the same, would consider their work mumbo jumbo. Though I am not saying that vampires are any more mumbo jumbo than are fairies and aliens--each to their own !

The article, by Sean Manchester entitled The Kirklees Vampire ws published in the Unexplained June 1992 and I have quoted from it on the Vampires and Bishop M site. Just to clarify, the Bishop says he didn't see the spectre,his assistant did, that is correct and the Bishop obvioulsy believed him because "Holy water was poured into the holes still remaining in the tomb and garlic--hateful to vampires--was planted around." The Bishop, however, admits to hearing the dreadful wailing getting closer and he jumped into the wailings path (??)of unearthly groaning and held up a giant crucifix and candleabrum and shouted "behold the light!"

As for my books which he makes out as badly researched self published pamphlets Mr X was much impressed--or said he was--and said he enjoyed and admired them all. Though that isn't what he said in the e mail posted to Bishop M maybe thats not much recommendation. But I do object to such patronising and deception whatever the motives are. I read somewhere that "the feudally minded British are inordinately impressed with anyone who appears to spring from the upper ranks of society. If he can hint at an ancient title, a medieval country seat and connections with royalty all defences are down."

As for the remarks posted in the e mail about the Church of England and my membership I'll put that on the Church board when I have time. Then the bishop's trusty exo won't be kept too busy checking this that and the other with the bishop to make sure he gets everything right !

Barbara

barbara green said:
Going back to the fairies--i.e. the Cottingley fairies and whether they should be taken seriously as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did and Harry Houdini too. The Cottongly fairies( also in Yorkshire) in the early nineteen hundreds caused an even bigger stir than did the Kirklees --or the Highgate --Vampire in the later nineteen hundreds. ...

Well as he introduced the vampires onto the land in the first place so he may as well get rid of them also !!!

Barbara

If Barbara Green wishes to believe that the rather silly Cottingley fairies affair caused "an even bigger stir than did the Highgate Vampire" that is entirely up to her, but it is a nonsense to make such an absurd claim.

The Highgate Vampire investigation proper lasted all of thirteen years and became the focal point of the world's media. More programmes and documentaries have been made, and more material written on the Highgate Vampire case than any other. Who will have even heard of the Cottingley fairies business? Few people in today's world, who take an interest in the supernatural, will be unaware of the case of the Highgate Vampire.

I am intrigued as to how Bishop Manchester "introduced the vampires" to Kirklees. Either there is a vampire contagion, or there is not. He would only be instrumental in their departure, not their introduction. Please note the difference, Mrs Green.

However, it has not been satisfactorily established what the cause of the disturbed atmosphere at Kirklees actually is; and Bishop Manchester, unlike thirty-three years ago in the Highgate case, has certainly not stated that there is a vampiric entity at large in West Yorkshire.

the rather silly Cottingley fairies affair caused "an even bigger stir than did the Highgate Vampire" that is entirely up to her, but it is a nonsense to make such an absurd claim

Nonsense? Absurdist claim?

Very interesting perspective. Very telling. I expect that you are too close to this issue to be objective, but considering that a reasonably successfull film was made about the Cottingley fairies case (INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE PAGE FOR FAIRYTALE: A TRUE STORY, as well as a not quite so successfull one Photographing Fairies ) that it has generated interest for almost a century, and that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Houdini became involved in it, and that it's mentioned in many more books on the paranormal, both by sceptics, believers and the objective, I don't think that internationally or otherwise the Highgate Vampire case could even be said to come close to it in terms of attenion recieved.

There are few books about the Highgate Vampire case, aside from those published by the Gothic Press. A brief search of Amazon.co.uk turns up several books that are entirely about the Fairies and I think that James Randi even devoted a chapter to the case in one of his books, and I've seen reference to it in many others.

Yes, the fairy photographs may have been silly, but there's no denying the interest they caused, and that it has lasted for nearly a century. Perhaps the interest is more in the way that the creator of Sherlock Holmes could be duped by two young girls, but the interest is nevertheless there.

Perhaps best to admit to a skewed perspective on this one, in light of actual evidence about the world's interest in each case, and move on, eh Exo?

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini were occultists and spiritualists, albeit Houdini later did an about turn on spiritualism and helped to expose certain charlatans who practiced it.

Since March 1970, the number of investigative programmes, public forums, chat shows, interviews, debates, documentary films and documentary dramas throughout the world about the Highgate Vampire case is truly staggering. It easily runs into three figures and then some, I daresay.

Almost every parapsychological society or paranormal research group that I have encountered over many years has raised the topic of the Highgate case at some point. Not once has the Cottingley fairies matter been mentioned in my presence.

Sorry to butt in, but with reference to the Cottingly fairies - very famous, mainly due to the people involved (Was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really an occultist or do you lump spiritulists in with said occultists?)

The Highgate vampire case is hardly as famous (unless you were involved or following it closely).

edit:
quick google shows

cottingley fairies. Results 1 - 10 of about 2,030. Search took 0.07 seconds.

highgate vampire. Results 1 - 10 of about 840. Search took 0.09 seconds

Not very scientific I know, but kinda of gives you an idea of the interest on the web.
/edit

Not once has the Cottingley fairies matter been mentioned in my presence.

To respond as I would wish to would involve speculation as to your identity, so I'll back off from that just a little and say that there are probably very good reasons why Highgate is mentioned in your presence rather than Cottingley.

I have been asked all manner of things relating to supernatural phenomena by individuals who are largely themselves involved in research of one kind or another. I have also been asked about UFOs, out-of-body experiences, stigmatics, unsolved mysteries of every shape and size, etc. But not the Cottingley fairies.

In fairness, this might be due to the fact that such organisations and individuals approaching me are already aware that the Cottingley fairies have since been revealed as a hoax.

In fairness, this might be due to the fact that such organisations and individuals approaching me are already aware that the Cottingley fairies have since been revealed as a hoax.

At least one similarity then ;)

Re: The Kirklees Vampire

barbara green said:
What am I supposed to be protesting about exactly?

You have said: "This is now connecting up with Bishop Manchester and his vampires." But you were quoted in a Yorkshire newspaper in 1995 as saying:

“Like a bat she hung there for what seemed like an eternity, her black nun’s robes flapping eerily while her eyes flashed red and venomous and her teeth bared sharp and white between snarling blood-red lips.”

If anyone is "connecting up" with vampires, it is you. The bishop has not seen, nor has he confirmed a vampire contagion at Kirklees.

ninja said:
The Highgate vampire case is hardly as famous (unless you were involved or following it closely).

So why aren't the Cottingley fairies being discussed at length instead of the Highgate Vampire case on this MB?

Moreover, why aren't your findings refelected by the interest afforded to each on this and similar forums?

I think you may find that its more interesting watching you :)

Barbara Green & Shivananda ...

barbara green said:
Actually, Exo, I didn't realise who Shivananda was,I don't spend 24 hours a day persusing websites, I have to go out to work. Underwhatever guise,if it is he, then I did not ask anyone to publish my work; it is true that I have sent my work around to people who I think may be interested, but for all I know they might throw it in the bin. I know the website you mention has published my work, well I am glad that some people have the vision and the courage and lack of personal small minded ambition and egomania to do so.

Re: http://www.theneithnetwork.freeserve.co.uk/robin3.htm

Neither do I spend 24 hours a day perusing websites. Nor do I need to, as the offending sites are often brought to our attention by those who discover on them misrepresentation about Bishop Manchester and his Church.

You say that you did not ask Shivananda to publish your work, but you must have given him your consent? And how did he manage to publish on his site all those images from your booklet, postcards he has received from you, plus several photographs of you? Were you also sending those out to all and sundry?

Are you saying that those in possession of you work who didn't reproduce it on their website are absent of "vision and the courage" and are guilty of "personal small minded ambition and egomania"?

The reason I enquire is because you haven't published on your own website anything at all from this "work" you have been circulating to others to reproduce on theirs! Now why is that?

gosh you do go on !

If you REALLY must know--cos you're like a dog worrying a bone about all this--I can't do the website thingy myself. Too complicated for my poor old brain . Next time I get someone to update it--which may be in the next six months --I may make some alterations as I feel fit. I can't remember the rest of the compliants from the other board .( Yes I did give my consent to "all and sundry "( AS THE BISH OR YOURSELF DRAMaTICALLY PORTRAYS IT ) to publish things if I send them out--why shouldn't I--the bishop would not dream of doing such a thing would he--haha--thats why I have a mountain of propaganda etc from the bish in my files since 1987. ) I am not putting my books on my website anyway,people can buy copies if they like.

I think you should have a quiet word with the bishop before you reply in future just to make sure you don't get mixed up because you really have got some things awfully confused on the postings and, well, not really true. But I won't go into all those things again, as I don't suppose I will ever get the bish to admit he has been a teeny bit hasty or even---wrong....? Please don't reply to this on the grave of Robin Hood as I want to keep this for that subject only

Did I put on the message board that there is a plan to make Kirklees Priory Gatehouse a grade 11 listed building into a holiday flat. If you want to reply about that that can go on this board,

ta ta
Barbara

Barbara Green & Shivananda ...

You repeatedly avoid answering questions, even when they are asked over and again.

What on earth is David Farrant's name doing in the Acknowedgements in your booklet, and also in the online version on Shivananda's website? Farrant himself has stated that he made absolutely no contribution to your work, and his name is not mentioned in the text elsewhere. So why did you include it?

Your online version bears little resemblance to what is written in your hardcopy version in print and keeps manifesting differently. Did you keep altering it, or has Shivananda been revising it without your consent and knowledge?

The online version contained offensive and disparaging remarks about Bishop Manchester until Shivananda's account was suspended by his ISP upon pain of removing such inappropriate references. This has happened no less than half a dozen times over the last nine months. Are you not aware of this?

Do you not believe that you should exercise more control, and show more responsibility for words that are attributed to you under your name on another person's website? Especially when your words are constantly undergoing revision by someone else?

outlaws and nuns

The new autumn walks to Robin Hood's Grave are being advertised again. For details contact Hebdon BRIDGE Tourist Centre, Hebdon BRIDGE, West Yorkshire. For information about the history of the site and for literature you can contact me either privately or on this message board. Mystery Magazine have also done a short piece about the grave which shows the "spooky photo".

Hope this is okay to say, but if people would like to see the famous grave--or infamous as the case may be--this is a good opportunity,

Barbara

John Pope's grave version ...

barbara green said:
The new autumn walks to Robin Hood's Grave are being advertised again.

The following remarkable version about the two graves in West Yorkshire clamouring to be heard (each supposedly containing the mouldering remains of the legendary Robin Hood) occurred, according to Barbara Green's website, during an autumnal visit some two years ago, as recorded by John Pope:

"My visit coincided with Barbara Green’s news that she had received an e-mail from a certain David Hepworth who said that he had been specially invited by Lady Armytage to do research at Kirklees and was being aided by Professors Knight, Holt and Dobson, (also a Professor Ohlgren) all Robin Hood authors. Barbara was somewhat astounded at this information as she had always been refused permission to conduct any research at Kirklees. However, as all the Kirklees documents had reportedly been handed over to Halifax Central Library some years previously and no archaeological dig was involved, this was not seen as particularly important, though admittedly it was annoying. Even more so was Mr Hepworth’s news that he was going to publish the prioress’ story, which Barbara had already done. Soon steam was coming out of the ears of Barbara’s computer as purple e-mails thundered down the line! I was accused of having recently escaped from a mental institution, while Barbara was called scandalous, alarmist and hysterical! Amid it all Professors Holt and Knight hastened to deny all knowledge of the business at all! At the present moment, November 2000, we are still trying to unravel this latest enigma surrounding Robin Hood’s famous – or is it now infamous – grave!

"Notwithstanding all this hoo ha a friend and I went up to Robin’s grave at midnight on All Hallows e’en. It was the time of the great October floods and pouring with rain, the leafless trees allowing the torrential rain to bucketdown upon us while we struggled through the dripping monster ferns of the Kirklees rainforest. Above, a hazy waning moon could be seen through the web of black branches. Despite the adverse weather conditions, I managed to light the candles on the crumbling wall of Robin’s grave and burned incense. As an ordained minister of a Christian order and a third degree witch, I blessed the grave. I put vervain oil on it and invoked Robin’s presence while placing a circle of protection around his grave. At that point I felt very strongly that we were being watched, as did my companion-though whether it was by gamekeepers or ghosts, we were not sure!

"We moved on to the real grave in Hartshead where I had a vision of Robin kneeling by his grave."

Clearly Johnny favours the Hartshead grave where he allegedly saw a vision of our man in green, and not the Kirklees grave where he apparently "put vervain oil on it and invoked Robin's presence" without effect.

Mind you, I'm still somewhat confused at Johnny's claim to be an "ordained [Christian] minister" and "a third degree witch."

Shivananda apologises for any failure to adhere to established netiquette. He shares this interest in the myth, legend and history of Robin Hood. Although he hasn't recently added any new research findings of his own, it may be of interest to many that on 5 March 1996 he received the following from Doctor John Russell Pope-de-Locksley, Laird of Camster:

THE FAMILY TREE UPDATE

Dear friends and family,
As you know, I have spent many years tracing the family trees and searching for the link to
Robin Hood. Grandfather Thomas Russell said, about 1960, I was descended from Robin
Hood, Earl of Huntingdon. He said I was not to tell anyone, as it's "a secret", "dangerous",
etc.…

My first thought was that he was descended from Robert Fitzodo of Loxley, whose
descendants were the Trussell Russell family, a theory advanced in the 1860's by J.R.
Planch of the College of Arms.

Next, I assumed he might have come from the Russells who wer' descendants of the
Clintons, Earls of Huntingdon in the 14th century, and, later, I found a Thomas Russell who
had descended from the Sneyd Kinnersleys of Loxley. This man had been born at
Nottingham in 1897, the son of one William Russell.

My grandfather was born in 1897, but his father was James Russell. No birth certificate for
my grandfather has been found. There is no evidence that he was illegitimate. No census-
returns and no church records mentioning his birth have come to light.

My great-uncle, Joseph Tatt, maintained that Tom had been a wounded solider at the military
hospital in Canewood Towers, Hampstead. Although Canewood never was a military
hospital, during the 1914-1918 war, the period during which Tom is said to have been there,
it did house a number of Belgian refugees. Since Russell happens to be both a French and
Belgian family-name, the fact that Tom is remembered as having spoken only poor English
when he married my grandmother would appear to be significant.

So, where did the tale come from that claims that I'm descended from Robin Hood, and why
was it so secret? Did it, perhaps, have a link to Tom's claim that I have blue blood in my
veins?

Uncle Joe has told me that my mum's husband, Frederick Pope, wasn't my real dad, but that
mum had had an affair with an aristocrat belonging to a Northern family, someone who wasn't
well at the time, so that he died shortly before my mum's first meeting with Fred - and before I
was born.

I was born 11 July 1953, mum having married Fred in June that same year. I believe I had
been conceived some time in November 1952. Doctor Tuck of the Royal Free Hospital told
me in 1990 that I should never father any children, the reason being that I have inherited
some deformed chromosomes, so that any children fathered by me would be born deformed.
Frederick Pope, on the other hand, my legal father, married several times, and was the father
of many healthy children. His family-tree is well known, and has been published. There is no
record of any history of deformity within his family.

I was so shocked by Doctor Tuck's report that I shut it out of my mind, but now I can think
straight. I know who my real father was. He clearly must have been an aristocrat belonging to
a Northern family known for its monster-births, someone linearly descended from the Earls of
Huntingdon, and a man who died shortly before I was born in July 1953.

Therefore, my father must have been the Honourable Michæl Bowes Lyon, third son of the
14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorn, Baron Glamis Gluad Bowes Lyon.

My father's ancestor, John Lyon, married the daughter of Robert the Bruce, a descendant of
Isabela, the daughter of David, Earl of Huntingdon. My father's sister, Elizabeth Bowes Lyon
was [Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth] the Queen Mother.

The Bowes Lyons are famous for their "monster", which is reputed once to have lived
somewhere inside Glamis Castle, a half-human, covered in hair, born in 1821 and, it is said,
living to be 150 years old!

That is part of "the secret" my grandfather must have been referring to, when he said that I
was "illegitimate", but that my blood also flows through the Prince of Wales, which makes me
part-royal.

I may not publish any of this information just now [i.e., in March 1996], but publication may be
appropriate after my Auntie, the Queen Mother's death?

Any suggestions regarding this would be warmly received [to be posted by recorded delivery, address on appllication to Shivananda by Private Message]. In case it helps to resolve any related uncertainty or doubt, my own blood-group is A.B. positive.

Glamis Castle is in Scotland, in other words, in the North. Michæl Bowes Lyon was born in 1892 and died, aged 60, on 1 May 1953. Frederick Pope was aged 48 in June 1953. According to the terms of Michæl's will, all his estate passed in equal shares to all his
children, once they became 21. The legal term "all his children" embraces children who are illegitimate - which means that he knew he had fathered an illegitimate son?

Robin and Marion to the Greenwood Came

I've just ploughed through the entire thread to make sure that I'm not posting old stuff. It was not a pretty sight.

Anyway...
Robert Graves once put forward an interesting theory, in The White Goddess, and later in The Crane Bag, about Robin Hood and Maid Marion. I no longer have my copies.

He reckoned that they represented the heads of a witches coven, of an Arabic cult brought back from the Middle East in Mediaeval times, by Crusaders.

Robin repesented the High Priest and Maid Marion the High Priestess of the cult. The Merry Men would have been the coven members. RG. believed the cult would have been widespread throughout England and, perhaps, Southern Scotland.

So, perhaps, Robin and Marion weren't quasi-historical individuals. Perhaps they were generic, personifications of an ancient God and Goddess? Could even tie in with the Knights Templar?

Johnny Pope's "new theory" ... what's the point?

This was posted by John Pope on the Nottingham Robin Hood forum:

"In 1957 my 9 year old cousin Beryl Stringer told me about the Hartshead stone. My aunt Dolly in 1920 had married Harry Bottomley. He lived at Ludwickgate in Bradford. He had a fish and chip shop in Shipley and lived in a cottage by the gravel lake in Cottingley (where the fairies were). My relations are in descent of him to this day. In the 1950s most of us came to live at Cottingly. Beryl married her next door friend Geoff Butterfield who died last year of cancer. Beryl told me that day in 1957 and again in 1987 that she ws taken by the relations to Hartshead and shown the stone in the churchyard and told it was Robin Hoods grave. In the 1950s I was told I was related to Robin Hood. I misunderstood and thought it was the Russell family. Tom Russell married Dolly`s sister, my grandmother. Tom had served in the trenches with Harry Bottomley. but my cousin Valerie, born Miss Valerie Moore at Bradford,lived with Harry`s family and had never heard these s tories and treats them with caution. Harry`s daughter wed a Mr John Alison and they lived at Keighley and she took Beryl to the grave. Camden in 1500 refers to a stone like the headstone and I don`t see the problem. I`ve given up on who Robin may have been but the Callendar of Patent Rolls 1305 refers to a pardon to someone who either killed a Robert Hood or a Robbert Hood who killed someone and joined the Scottish wars and was pardoned for this! This would tally with Dodsworth Loxley story and Wytouns 1420 Robin Hood in the 1280s-90s.

Barnsdale is Bearsdale because Barn is Scadananvian or Norse for Bear. Bear is the symnbol of Artio the bear goddess,Gaelic, and Artemis the greek bear goddess. who is a forunner of Diana, Robin Hood`s Our Lady. No maps before 1777 Geofreys mentions the west riding, See Baarry Dobsons Rymes of Robin Hood.Around Little John`s well was a cave and dense woodland in a private park, Rymes again.Across the road from it was a dense wood,when I went there in the early 1970s.Oldbrooks refer to a large wooded area by Doncaster. The Syales is probably a form of Salix or willow tree by a river or stream and there were plenty by LJ WELL which is not far from Watling street. Now the Sayles at Wentbridge,well the Sheriff of Nottingly would have had no trouble in finding etc and rounding up the outlaws but as Holt points out in the 1320s large numbers of poachers were in that area and there were several unsuccessful engagements by lkaw officers. He refers to the private park now fields behind lj well. The name Brnsdale may have been used by the band for any spot they chose. I did my research at the Public Records Office under the guidance of of Dr David Crooks and Dr Hallam Smith my mentors and Jim Lees the ex Sheriff of Nottingham and I am in his book the Quest for Robin Hood.

Dr John Pope de Locksley mphd assistant pharmacist bsya herbs ksges. I`ve written a Robin Hood books which is currently still engaged and will contribute on Robin Hood but don`t want to get bogged down by it."

To quote Johnny's "good friend" Shivananda, from the latter's own website, the point is there is no point.

Help! This Thread's Being Hijacked!

Yes. I read the quote from this Pope chap, I think you posted earlier. It mentions priest of Baal, Great Toads, or King Toads, or whatever. I thought then, `perhaps this chap's done a bit of background research and has a number of fall back positions saved up.'

Yes, it is quite possible to stretch things to the point that you can also include things like Artio (some obscure Celtic Bear Goddess?), or better Ursus, as in the latin for bear and also quite possibly Ursur, (Uther) Pendragon and Arthur (King of the Britons).

Eventually, you could rope in every legend extant in Britain and on the European continent! Even including the great toad, or frog god invoked by the Duke de Richleau, to save them all at the end of The Devil Rides Out.

What is the point? Are the graves real, or not? What do they mean? Is the rest anything more than infuriating publicity seeking self glorification?

And now, a duck on a roller skate...

Edited, late, because I miss-spelled `Ursus'. AKA `Ursa,' as in Ursa Major and Minor.

In reply to Heather's question about what's the point. Very simply that, if you believe in and are interested in a historical Robin Hood, the John I've quoted, and earlier to some extent research, is the best available candidate.
Interesting, too, that Exorcistate has quoted, out of context, my writing, in agreement with another John, John David Solomon (1906-1998), a distinguished musician, philosopher and geologist who disagreed with Einstein, with good reason, and argued that space and time are illusion, there is no space, no time, but only timing or resonance - pointing, perhaps, if by that you mean emphatic resonance, but no "point" because no space, all you need about that available - but not your point here!

The "John" Shivananda quotes ...

Shivananda's John Pope "de Locklsey" posted the following on the Nottingham Robin Hood forum on 2 April 2002:

"Perhaps Mrs Green did not see the undead but real people,maybe dressed up in robes. With regard to the claim that I trespassed to gain entry to Mrw Armytages estate to see the alleged grave of Robin Hood in the early 1980s Mrs Armytage gave me permission to visit the grave. I`ve nnot gotr the letter anymore but I did not feel I needed to keep it as lady Armytage I thought was an honourable woman. I am not going to secent to other people`s level to address untru accusations again--I will willingly talk about Robin Hood!! Until the court vcase--for my dsiability is over I can only work part time or in voluntary work. I`ve been to St Lenaoards for an interview but don`t know how it will go. Hope you are all well, bye bye for now,

"Yours truly

"Lcosley"

One is naturally concerned to learn of how the court case went. Perhaps Shivananda would be good enough to inform us?

J D Solomon and Barbara Green notwithstanding, the person most promoted by Shivananda over the last two decades has undoubtedly been John Pope "de Locksley" who claims to be directly descended from Jesus Christ, Count Dracula, Robin Hood, Jack the Ripper, Bela Lugosi and goodness knows who else.

Johnny also claims to be the rightful "King of England" (aspiring to one day being addressed as "King John II") and the "Ruler of Planet Earth" as confirmed in his infamous Reveille magazine interview and subsequent recorded interviews.

And to think someone once started a thread titled "Exorcistate and the temple of loon"!

Location of Robin Hood's Grave

Although not named in its Index, Robin Hood importantly features in one of the appendices to "Hamlet's Mill", available from all good bookshops. The original Robin Hood, Arrow, Grave, etc., are there theorised as within the celestial zodiac, not on planet Earth. But, as above, so below, hence as well as that myth, also legends and the history of those legends, which interweaves with the history of some real people, notably, today, John Russell Pope-de-Locksley, notably, in the past, several well known figures rarely, if at all, mentioned in any school or adult history of England, but yet familiar to most in the U.K. from childhood. Hence, my interest. I don't belive Robin's grave is at Kirklees. I hope Calderdale Council will not, the academic world will not, and no citizens of the U.K. will squander central or local government funds or any National Lottery money in turning Kirklees and its surrounds into a second Millennium Dome! That certainly would make Robin, friend of the poor, turn in his non-grave with a vengeance! Incidentally, the Chancellor of the Exchequer has still not reimbursed Exeter folk for William of Orange's bed-and-breakfast when he passed through this noble place, so highly praised by Homer in the Iliad.

Re: Location of Robin Hood's Grave

Shivananda said:
Although not named in its Index, Robin Hood importantly features in one of the appendices to "Hamlet's Mill", available from all good bookshops. The original Robin Hood, Arrow, Grave, etc., are there theorised as within the celestial zodiac, not on planet Earth. But, as above, so below, hence as well as that myth, also legends and the history of those legends, which interweaves with the history of some real people, notably, today, John Russell Pope-de-Locksley, notably, in the past, several well known figures rarely, if at all, mentioned in any school or adult history of England, but yet familiar to most in the U.K. from childhood. Hence, my interest. I don't belive Robin's grave is at Kirklees. I hope Calderdale Council will not, the academic world will not, and no citizens of the U.K. will squander central or local government funds or any National Lottery money in turning Kirklees and its surrounds into a second Millennium Dome! That certainly would make Robin, friend of the poor, turn in his non-grave with a vengeance! Incidentally, the Chancellor of the Exchequer has still not reimbursed Exeter folk for William of Orange's bed-and-breakfast when he passed through this noble place, so highly praised by Homer in the Iliad.

And your point is, Shiva?

b&b at at Ye Olde Gatehouse

Well there is this to consider, if they go ahead and make the historic gatehouse into a b&b we can have our jollies there if we want to play Robin Hooding --though I guess we would have to go in disguise being of the ostrich sized mumbo jumbo satanic sector. Hope that the vampires will have departed by then of course........
Barbara

Lets remember though Barbara, that there are no such things as vampires. And that Robin Hood was bleed to death by blood letting. ... It will be jolly nice though to spend a couple of nights at the gatehouse when it is a B&B like robin of course I shall not pay, have to keep in the spirit of things and all that what!!

(Edited by Stu Neville to remove all mention of Bishop Manchester: see this post for further illumination)

b&b at Kirklees

Hi Dog or War and Others

Here are some interesting quotes pertaining to Kirklees

"And they saw the Sanctuary laid desolate and the altar profaned and the gates burned up and shrubs growing in the courts as in a forest or asone of the mountains and the priests chambers pulled down."

1 Maccabbees IV,33

The Armytage family lived ovr the brow of the hill on the splendid site once occupied by Cistercian nuns. It was called Kirklees.There was more than an insularity which set the mansion apart.There was a mystery about it which local people only reluctantly tried to penetrate.The mystery was helped physically by the thick shroud of trees that surrounded the place and was sustained by local tales of ghosts and prioresses and nuns and the death of Robin Hood whose grave is so indisputably marked as lying within Kirklees grounds."

Land of Lost Content, Robert Reid.

Happily some of these dark tales about Kirklees which have been reported over the years but escalated in the nineteen nineties due to the utmost secrecy which was preserved about the sites,as well as the vampire legend, may have been dispelled thanks to the very special influence of Dr David Hepworth who has been indefatigable in his efforts and influence to persuade Lady Armytage of the benefits and public relations of allowing the general public to view these unique and irreplacable monuments from becoming lost to history and crumbling away. Trips to these sites can be aranged through Hebdon Bridge Tourist Centre, West Yorkshire. Hopefully a blessing to lay to rest the disturbed spirits may be held in the forseeable future,

BARBARA

I would remind all posters that discussion of Bishop Manchester and his deeds are now confined to "Bishop Sean Manchester and his Church" - any such discussion on this or any other thread will be deleted.

Please contact the moderators if you have any problem understanding this concept.

Yes the nineties did show and increase in paranormal phenomenon at the grave. Has well as reported covern avtivity it is just a pity that the Armitidges and Dr Hepworth won't allow serious study and investigation into the paranormal activity report at the site. Thankfully though I have some good photographs in my files that she something forming in the woods. As well as a time slip. Which were taken earlier this year, they are away for anlysis at the moment, and a once the anlysis has been done I will report the findings.

Back