• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grave Of Robin Hood

A

Anonymous

Is this the grave of Robin Hood?

I recently saw a show on the Discovery channel which surprised me (as I hail originally from roughly the area where Rob and his mates did their thing) proudly showing off the graves not only of Robin Hood, but also that of Will Scarlet and Little John. I was previously under the impression that there was little or no tangible evidence of their existence, let alone remains, though it does seem that the grave of Robin Hood is a Little-Known Fact. But I'm not convinced, mainly as these graves seem to have been identified and created in the 19th century, and no website offers the basis for how these conclusions were arrived at. Here are the links I dug up (if you'll pardon the pun)

Robin Hood's tombstone

Wider view of Robin Hood's grave

The details of Robin's demise are pretty interesting, as he was led whilst ill to Kirklees priory. There, the head of the priory who was in the pocket of the Sheriff of Nottingham, bled him to death before the legendary "bury me where the arrow falls" stuff. Apparently he was too weak to draw the bow so one of his mates did it for him, and hence the above grave was dug.

Details of Robin's last moments here

This unmarked grave is supposedly that of Will Scarlet. Again, no sources provided.

And here lies Little John in a very fresh looking plot.

There are some interesting accounts of relics associated with Little John.

"The grave was exhumed in 1784 by Captain William Shuttleworth. Inside were two pieces of thigh bone, found to be such a length that the owner of them would have been ten feet tall. But in 1815, the bones were found to be two bones, saw-cut to fit together. "

"In 1784 the local church vicar, Charles Spencer Stanhope (d. 1874) wrote that the squires brother, William Shuttleworth hung a thigh bone, reputedly from Little John's grave in his room.. However as it was thought to be bringing poor fortune to its owner, it was ordered to be reburied by his clerk. But the clerk kept the labelled bone in his window as a curio.
When the father of Charles Spencer-Stanhope (Walter Spencer-Stanhope of Cannon Hall and Horsforth Hall 1749-1821) and Sir George Strickland were visiting Hathersage, Strickland* is reported to have "run away with it" and it has never been recovered. "

"The reputed bow of Little John hung on the walls of Hathersage church until 1729. From here it was taken by the Spencer-Stanhope family to Cannon Hall in Cawthorne where it remained until the early 1950's. The Spencer-Stanhope family gave it to the Wakefield museum but it has now gone to the residence of Simon Fraser, a family member, who resides in Scotland. The bow could now be scientifically dated if a portion were to be sacrificed."

Finally here's a rather bizarre "photo" which surely must only be intended as an illustration of the comparitive size of LJ's bones to that of an average sized man. The site it resides on doesn't elaborate.

So can anyone comment on the reliability of these claims?

I think, as you already seem to suspect, that these monuments were
nineteenth century celebrations of local legends. Robin Hood is most
associated with Sherwood Forest but many other locales have their
claim - Yorkshire has Robin Hood's Bay, for instance. The story of Robin
and Marion was also celebrated in a famous jeu-partie or Trouvère song
sequence by Adam de la Halle.

The death of the hero by bleeding, which you mention, is an archetypal
sneaky way to polish off the warrior who could not be fairly vanquished:

A very unpolished and unfinished treatment of the theme can be found at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~j.b.w/mater.htm

"Women's spells could protect the flesh of the warrior but there was a flaw always, some part of the skin uncovered, such as the heel or the back. The duplicity of woman was clear. The tale of the death of Robin Hood, in some versions, has his bandages repeatedly undone by an evil Abbess, his Aunt, and he is bled to death in the name of tender ministrations. The vital fluids are tapped and sapped by such female vampires. This is the price of immersion in the world of the flesh. Any trial of strength is a moral combat, a reflection of heavenly powers so defeat cannot come from weapons except by treachery. All the greatest heroes have to be brought low by deceit.
So the defeat of a hero turns out to be a failure of a woman properly to protect him."
:rolleyes:

There is a very interesting essay on the historical possibility of Robin Hood in Michael Wood's In Search of England , which also features essays on Arthur, Glastonbury and other central figures in English culture, as well as some less known ones. Well worth a read.

James Whitehead said:
"So the defeat of a hero turns out to be a failure of a woman properly to protect him."
Your site brought home to me this recurring theme of women being the downfall of great men; from Adam and Eve to Greek Myth, Samson and Delilah, Guinevere and Arthur, and to some extent, myself :D

Drawing a more modern parallel, it seems with conspiracy theories like that surrounding JFK, it suggests a bold leader cannot be defeated by a lone nut with a mail order rifle but a national conspiracy between many powerful groups.

Interestingly, the archetypal male role model of modern times, James Bond, only has one weakness...and it ain't martinis or bowler hats.

Personally, I've seen more people abusing Exorcistate. Maybe we should round up all these people and have them shot?

I may have missed some of this "abuse" but that sounds totally out of order....

can we have mods that read the board please?

This is being explored Here

And if you read the message, he's being warned, not thrown off

8¬)

the mystery of robin hoods grave

Robin Hood's Grave is situated in West Yorkshire. For many years it has lain neglected and forgotten beneath a shroud of inpenetrable bushes. In the nineteen eighties I became interested in the legend-living but two miles away in Brighouse, and proceeded to research why Robin Hood came to Yorkshire to die. It seems that his kinswoman the prioress of Kirklees was his kinswoman and reputed to be skilled in the healing arts. Instead she bled him to death. He was buried outside the consecrated grounds of the nunnery. In the nienteen ninteies I began to receive reports of paranormal activity around the gravesite. Because access was difficult some people went unofficially to the site. A woman in white was seen on several occasions by different people, and other phenomena. I don't know whether this is of any interest to people on this message board but as Fortean deals with strange phenomena I thought it may be of interest.

Further details on http://www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk

http://www.robinhood.ltd.uk/newforum/shoowthread.asp?id=77&forumid=1

From Robin Hood's grave:

Here underneath dis laitl stean
Laz robert earl of Huntintun
Ne'er arcir ver as hie sa geud
An pipl kauld im robin heud
Sick utlawz as his as iz men
Vil england nivr si agen

Looks like a text message from my daughter!

robin hoods grave

The inscription is a Victorian folly in pseudo gothic. It means Underneath this little stone lies Robert Earl of Huntinhgton,No archer was as He so good and people called him Robin Hood such outlaws as he and his men will England never see again.
The original gravestone which was a c ross, disappeared in the seventeenth century. The original site of the grave was probably near the Old Kings Highway. and old green road which runs through Kirklees woods and recent photographs taken in a nearby ancient grove have shown strange phenomena.This may be closer to the original site.Robin was not Earl of Huntington,he was a yeoman from Wakefiled living in the reign of Edward 11--who was gay! Robin was not gay --though he was merry--though this theory has been put forward by professor Knight. There are other suggestions as to when Robin lived and nothing is really proven, but the strange happenings at the gravestite and the documents and ballads stating that he died at Kirklees make the place of his death more certain than that of his birth. There has been a suggestion that the manner of his death--exsanguination-- could be linked with--Christian sacrifice and that some of the merry men symbolise the apostles/disciples,that it could be a fertility sacrifice with pagan connections, that there could be a vampiric involvement or it could be simple murder most foul or bad nursing,or simply the results of medieval methods of medicine.
The circumstances of Robins death--the banning(cursing) of the witch by the stream on the ride to Kirklees, the situation on the crossing of ley lines, the apostate prioress and her love the priest Red Roger doing the deed and the fact that Robin died without the Last Rites and was buried in unconsecrated land beyond the priory, make the mystery more profound. As well as the recents reports and photographs from independent witnesses.

Barbara Green Yorkshire Robin Hood Society

Dark Detective said:
Your site brought home to me this recurring theme of women being the downfall of great men; from Adam and Eve to Greek Myth, Samson and Delilah, Guinevere and Arthur, and to some extent, myself :D

Drawing a more modern parallel, it seems with conspiracy theories like that surrounding JFK, it suggests a bold leader cannot be defeated by a lone nut with a mail order rifle but a national conspiracy between many powerful groups.

Interestingly, the archetypal male role model of modern times, James Bond, only has one weakness...and it ain't martinis or bowler hats.
An interesting exsanguination legend from this area of Cornwall - St Agnes an the giant Bolster - she gets him to bleed himself to death

The full legend here

Barbara Green’s recounting of a vampiric spectre, like others, certainly suggests that the Kirklees grave phenomenon masqueraded in the form of a thirteenth century apostate nun known as the “Wicked Prioress” who, according to a Sloane manuscript, bled the outlaw Robin Hood to death at Kirklees Priory. Robin's remains are believed to be interred in unconsecrated ground 650 yards from the priory gatehouse. The tomb of the “Wicked Prioress” is also nearby. Following a nocturnal, mist-shrouded visit to the legendary outlaw’s forgotten grave, Mrs Green once wrote: “Like a bat she hung there for what seemed like an eternity, her black nun’s robes flapping eerily while her eyes flashed red and venomous and her teeth bared sharp and white between snarling blood-red lips.”

This sighting was in woods in pitch dark with no lights to reflect from any source. Likewise, on a later occasion in April 1990, the same spectre was witnessed in the dead of night. The red eyes were again recounted by one of three researchers present. The other two participants saw no spectre at all, but they were some distance away at the time. It was nevertheless heard to wail.

Since Barbara Green has kindly provided us with a link to her website, might I pose a question about something claimed in a contribution made by John Pope "de Locksley" on her webpage titled "The Bottomley Witch Project"?

This is what Mr Pope writes: "As an ordained minister of a Christian order and a third degree witch, I blessed the grave."

The grave in question being the alleged resting-place of Robin Hood. However, knowing a little about Mr Pope's background and occult predisposition, might it be enquired of Barbara Green who "ordained" Mr Pope, and in what "Christian order" precisely did this occur? Equally, when did Mr Pope become a "third degree witch," and who initiated him into witchcraft?

The interest in this matter is not mine alone. Mr Pope has been asked these questions elsewhere on another forum. Yet to date he has been unwilling to provide a single answer. Perhaps, as an obvious friend of Mr Pope, Barbara Green might be able to shed some light on the nature of this mysterious "ordination" and "initiation"?

thanks

Hi Dark Detective,
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that Robin Hood thread. Its very interesting to know other people are also intrigued by the story. As I only live down the road from the grave and hear all the local background,and have also visited the site, which led to all the research, which led to............this that and the t'other.....I am always interested to har other peoples ideas about the matter.
Barbara

robin hoods grave

Hi, I did not realise there already ws a thread about RHG UNTIL DARK DETECTIVE pointed it out to me, so I was very interested to read the comments. I have posted a thread called The Mystery of Robin Hood's Grave,something I have been researching for over 16 years. I have seen the grave several times......but to avoid repetition and duplication if you are interested you can check out my website http://www.robinhoodyorkshire.co uk
Also there are two interesting message boards, addresses on other thread,one the wwwrobin hood forum and also the Blue Boar,though I decided not to post on there (bb) any more.
Barbara

Barbara Green has been kind enough to provide us with a link to her website. Therefore, might I pose a question about something claimed in a contribution made by John Pope "de Locksley" on her extraordinary webpage titled "The Bottomley Witch Project"?

This is what Mr Pope writes: "As an ordained minister of a Christian order and a third degree witch, I blessed the grave."

The grave in question being the alleged resting-place of Robin Hood. However, knowing a little about Mr Pope's background and occult predisposition, might it be enquired who "ordained" him, and in what "Christian order" precisely did this occur? Equally, when did Mr Pope become a "third degree witch," and who initiated him into witchcraft?

I am sure you will appreciate the interest in this matter is not mine alone, and that Mr Pope has been asked these questions elsewhere. Yet to date he has been unable to provide a single answer. Perhaps, as an obvious friend of Mr Pope, you might be willing to shed some light on the nature of this mysterious "ordination" and "initiation"?

In Barbara Green's recent booklet about the infamous Kirklees grave are found several grotesque cartoons of Bishop Seán Manchester and, on page 52, a less than flattering photograph of the bishop. Beneath this unauthorised portrait, Barbara Green has written and published:

"The incredible Seán Manchester ~ a legend in his own lifetime! Scourge of Satanists and all things diabolical! A fearless fighter against the dark forces of evil, the greatest living vampire slayer and exorcist of all time! An expert swordsman, sensational saxaphonist [sic] and best selling author, this modern day knight in shining armour was touched to compose his unforgettable musical tribute to the late lamented Princess Diana: 'Ah--Diana ~ sweet princess! You are the queen of all our hearts! Ah, sweet princess, we shall love you till the day we die!'"

On this, the fifth anniversary of the tragic death of the Princess of Wales, does Mrs Green now regret the inclusion of such an inappropriate page which pokes fun at Bishop Seán Manchester and demeans the memory of Princess Diana in a work ostensibly about Robin Hood's alleged grave in West Yorkshire?

princess diana

The reference to Princess Diana was taken from a wide selection Bishop Manchesters own writings on the subject (and musical composition ) so it is strange that he finds it inappropriate. In 1991 he compared the princess to Lady Caroline Lamb her ancestor, in an unfavourable way. H e also expressed disapproval of anyone involved in extra marital or relationships outside of marriage which he said were scandalous and blasphemous .
In 1997 the bishop wrote a eulogy praising Diana after she died praising her and calling her the queen of all our hearts etc etc and also composed a 180 minute musical tribute to her, as well as writing an article in Beltane Fire about seeing a vision of her at the moment when she died, floating across a lake.
As part of the bishops personal profile his dedication to Diana was indeed mentioned. The photograph may not have been his best but he would not allow the one in the frilly shirt or the one in his consecrated robes to be used, so that one was used with someone else's copyright.A drawing by myself was also included, which was very flattering, as well as Chrissie Demants illustrations , which she drew as she perceived the situation.
Barbara

I have been assured that the bishop has at no time used the words "scandalous" and/or "blasphemous" in relation to fornication. He did not make unfair judgements about the Princess. As the biographer of Lady Carline Lamb, with whom the Princess was connected by blood, he merely drew parallels between certain behaviour patterns. These he still stands by. This is not a condemnation. It is an observation. Note the difference, please.

Mrs Green quibbles about the portrait of Bishop Manchester, but surely the real question is why did she feel the need to include any photograph of him at all? It was totally unnecessary. It and its offending caption surely only serves to titilate that small cabal known to both her and John Pope who are exclusively antipathetic to the bishop.

The simple fact remains that the whole point of writing the passage about the bishop and indeed the Princess was to ridicule one and demean the memory of the other. This is how everyone else has interpreted page 52 of Barbara Green's booklet. How else can it be understood? It is a joke in very poor taste in a booklet alleging to seriously look at the mysterious goings-on at Kirklees. Can she not see how inappropriate these obvious digs are to objective readers?

But what of Mrs Green's website and the inclusion of John Pope's claim that he is an "ordained Christian minister" whilst at the same time being a "third degree witch"? Her booklet offers Mr Pope most of her gratitude and thanks in the acknowledgments. He is obviously a good friend of the author; so where was John Pope "ordained" and by whom, and in what "Christian order"?

These are surely reasonable queries to raise about someone Mrs Green claims "blessed" the afflicted gravesite during Hallowe'en 2001.

the mystery of robin hoods grave

Deep in the heart of an ancient woodland in West Yorkshire. hidden beneath a formidable barrier of fierce thorns and thick undergrowth, there is a hidden grave. Here rest the mortal remains of Robin Hood, the Prince of Robbers, England's outlaw hero bloddily slain by the Prioress of Kirklees Nunnery six hundred years ago and cast into an unhallowed grave. Today Robin lies forgotten and unmourned in his lonely and desolate sepulchre for few people know of the grave's existence or its whereabouts. Why is this so?A mystery indeed, one of many which surround the secret site,beginning with the strange death of Robin Hood.......

She laid the blood irons to Robin Hood's vaine
Alas the more pitye!
And perct the vaine and let out the bloode
Which was full red to see.

At first it bled the thicke thicke blood
And afterwards the thinne
And well then wist good Robin Hood
Treason there ws within.

ROBIN HODO HIS DEATH AND BURIAL V 16-17

Barbara Green

Re: the mystery of robin hoods grave

barbara green said:
Here rest the mortal remains of Robin Hood, the Prince of Robbers, England's outlaw.

There is not the slightest shred of evidence that the grave Barbara Green is alluding to is that of Robin Hood. Furthermore, there is very little evidence to suggest that Robin Hood himself was anything other than legend, at best concocted from stories about several people. And, finally, there is no evidence that the "grave" in question actually contains any remains at all.

'Robin Hood's Grave' threads merged.

Please do not start new threads on an existing topic (and in the same forum!) If in doubt, use Search to check before you post.

Quite apart from John Pope's claim that he is an "ordained Christian minister" whilst at the same time being a "third degree witch" (evidence for these being neither evident nor available), he also claims (during recorded interviews in the late 1980s) to be directly descended from the legendary figure Robin Hood, as well as being the rightful King of England. He has stated that he would like to become King John II. Now I can't help feeling that there is something of a conflict of interest in these claims and aspirations.

It does seem strange that Mrs Green puts so much store in this man who features on her website and who is gratefully acknowledged in her booklet above all others.

Facsimile of John Pope's letter where he expresses the desire to convert people into believing that he is not just King of England, but king of the entire planet:

http://www.theneithnetwork.freeserve.co.uk/anthony.htm

("Anthony" might be Mr Pope's fellow occultist Anthony Binding; possibly the person to whom the letter is addressed?)

Printed below is Mr Pope’s description of himself, for those not familiar with his handwriting. The letter was sent to someone he perceived to be an hereditary lord. Mr Pope was claiming to be a baronet and called himself “Sir” at the time; mistakenly confusing his self-styled “knighthood” with the status of hereditary lords. The letter is signed “John R Pope” (his birth-name being John Russell Pope). This he claims to have changed by deed poll to “John Pope de Locklsey,” soon after the above was written, in honour of the legendary figure of Robin Hood from whom he also claims direct descent. Mr Pope's letter (with its unamended spelling, grammar and syntax) reads:

Dear [name deleted],

I heard from Mr Blood, that you were interested to know what I was doing and why I had not taken over the world?

I intend to convert people to believing in me as King of earth through Baalism, Imperial Toad, is my name its means earthly manifestation of Baal (IE God). However, I am the true King of England see my Pedigree and an article by B. Platts the “Real Robin Hood, Country life mag, Dec 4th 1980.” We Lords who’s titles are threatened by upstarts who put false claims upon them, should stick together. I had no part in Mr Berens continued aggression against you, and know little of it. For confermation on Fitzodo’s as Robin Hood see, “Rymes of Robin Hood by Proff R. B. Dobson E J. Taylor,” 1976. or Victorias History of Warwickshire 1945, not in a earlier copy.

by for now.

Yours Sincerely

John R Pope

Bart etc.

Several posts have been deleted here. People do not want to see posters sniping at each other. If you don't like something that's said, or the poster that said it, just ignore it, or 'Ignore' the poster (see Guidelines for details).

Sniping soon turns to flaming - nobody wants that.

Re: princess diana

barbara green said:
The reference to Princess Diana was taken from a wide selection Bishop Manchesters own writings on the subject.

Apart from a short poem written at the time of the late Princess of Wales' death, Bishop Manchester has not written anything about Princess Diana, much less "a wide selection."

John Pope speaks ...

It has been brought to my notice that John Pope responded to queries about his "King John II" aspiration on the Nottingham Robin Hood forum some three days ago. This is what Mr Pope has to say for himself (original spelling and grammar):

I now address the claim that i was King John 11.This was based on the assuming that I was descended From Robin through the Russels descendents of the Fitzooths ancestral line. Stukelys Brittania 1727 Baranagum 1620 and Dodsworth Baronage,later renamed Dugdales Baronage. Re William the Conquor neice Judith wed Waldeeaf and from this line into the Scots Royal family and their daugher Alice who wed Robert Fitzgilbert through his sister Rosia to Gilbert de Gant to his daugher Maud to Ralf Fitzooth and the Scots we into the Gant family as well.How as the family tie is not by this mistaken root. But through Betty Bottomley who showed Beryl Stringer in 1955 the gave at Hartshead. It may have originated with Betties husband family he allisons. Betty and her family lived at kIEGHLEY.aLICE WAS aLTHEOF AND jUDTHS daughter and their son Walter s son was Robert Fitzwalter fathr of Maid Marian but Alison is the son of Alice, Saxons often went indecent on the female line and it could have come from Alice Judith`s daughter. Stukely`s tree does check out but itself is based on 16th and 17th cen pedigrees of Fitzooth Kyme Gant etc. I`ve turned myself awasy from this in favour of a descent from my father Bela Frence Blasko Baron of Lugos son of Stepehn Blasko BBaron of Lugos and Paul Von Sojnics from 1882 back to Janos Blasko and Anna Kiss.The Vlad Dracula bllod line was the female,to the Kiss family Counts of Rhedy and the Kiss wed into the Teck and Mary Queen of Teck King George 5 wife was a blood realtion of mine and so the memebers of the present roayl family are close to my family/ "Os ver von os ment "or in English The Blood is the Life as Dracula says. (John Pope, 04.09.2002)

Yes, Bram Stoker in his novel "Dracula" is actually quoting the Mosaic Law of the biblical Jews from Deuteronomy 12: 23 ~

"Only be sure not to eat the blood, for the blood is the life."

Those involved in Satanism take great delight in reversing this edict by engaging in the drinking of human blood. Hence Stoker skillfully attributes the opposite intention of the Bible to Count Dracula (the Devil) who states early on in the novel that "The blood is the life." Stoker confirms Dracula's identity by providing the pseudonym "Count deVille" towards the novel's conclusion.

Sean Manchester, in his sequel to Stoker's "Dracula," resolves the diabolical anthem, as it has now become, by referring to Christ's words: "This cup is the new covenant sealed by My blood" (on page 112 of "Carmel"). Thus the diabolical parody of Christ by the Devil via vampirism is countered by the realisation of the Precious Blood and the promise of the resurrection to come for all believers.

I would tend to quite strongly disagree with you on the point of Dracula being the Devil.

The name 'Dracula' means 'Son Of The Dragon', okay, so 'The Dragon' could be taken to mean 'Devil', but if he intended him to literally be the Christian devil, or even a cipher for him, he could quite easily have chopped off the letter 'a' and called him 'Count Dracul'.

The second point which suggests him being a disciple of the devil, perhaps even literally, rather than the actual devil, is where Van Helsing states that Dracula learnt the secrets of the Devil in the Scholomance in the mountains by Lake Hermanstadt, being the one of ten scholars that the Devil took for his own. I would suggest that Stoker would hardly have included this information if he wanted Dracula to be literally regarded as the Christian devil, 'DeVille' puns aside.

If you want to ascribe meaning to the 'DeVille' pseudonym, then I would suggest that it's meaning 'Of the Town' is more important, as it suggests that Dracula has now learnt the ways of modern towns, but is fleeing back to his familiar territory confident in the knowledge that he would be more successful should he desire to return to one in future.

There's plenty there to suggest Stoker intended Dracula to be regarded as a small 'd' devil, but not 'The Devil', as such.

Did my degree dissertation on 19th Century Goffick literature, me. Bet I could give the Bishop a run for his money on the subject;)

Notwithstanding your dissertation, Bishop Manchester has wrtitten and had published a sequel to Stoker's "Dracula" that has been extremely well received.

Count Dracula, like all that is demonic, is the Devil's emissary, if not Satan himself, but Stoker also wants to make us aware that this is no ordinary vampire, but a "King Vampire of the Undead."

Stoker also wants to make us aware that this is no ordinary vampire, but a "King Vampire of the Undead."

Well, see, I've always wondered about that, because in my opinion Dracula was a bit crap, especially for someone who was supposed to have defeated invading armies, and was a highly skilled diabolist.

The only undead he seemed to be 'King' of were his three 'wives' and he was reduced to chasing bale-fires in search of treasure - his kingdom was hardy extensive if this was the case, and he himself mentioned that his castle walls were falling down. Not particularly regal.

Van Helsing's knowledge was about the only real advantage his adversaries had over Dracula and even as first time vampire hunters they managed to defeat him with only two losses.

If Dracula had intended to create more vampires and pose a real threat to Christendom, then he didn't make a very good job of it. Leaping on a boat with only what he had learnt from Harker and a few books and magazines, and hoping to gain a solid foothold in England was a bit foolish, and not the sign of a careful strategician.

And Renfield was a great creepy character, but hardly a brilliant choice of ally.

No, 'Dracula' is an interesting and enjoyable enough novel, but I can't help thinking that if Dracula was the 'King Vampire of the Undead', then we haven't got much to worry about.

Back