• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

crunchy5 said:
Excellent news ! I hope this actually goes to court.
hardly matters. More straws to be clutched have been released, like mememic versions of viral spores.

The object of the exercise was not to inform, or to refute, but to confuse and to muddy the waters of the debate.

Surely this is just is no different from the scientists who claim to have had their views misrepresented by the IPCC.

There seemed to be little concern when they spoke out.

edited due to sticky keys on my keyboard. I blame man-made CO2

Scunnerlugzz said:
Surely this is just is no different from the scientists who claim to have had their views misrepresented by the IPCC.

There seemed to be little concern when they spoke out.

edited due to sticky keys on my keyboard. I blame man-made CO2
Do you mean the controversy suggesting that the IPCC report overestimates the threat of Global Warming, or the controversy suggesting that the report underestimates the threat?

We can do both. :)

Why dont we ignore it all, manage our resources sensibly and wait for the next big volcanic eruption to pollute us?

I have to say that I am entirely unimpressed by the political aspect of all this and firmly beleive that we, as a race, need to clean up our act anyway, reduce emissions, develop renewables and so forth.
However, I would like to know if the evidence presented is correct. Is there a lag between temperature changes and CO2 emissions that suggests elevated CO2 levels are a result of, not a cause of general warming? And is this borne out by the lack of a Troposphere warming and the mentioned surface warming?

If this is the case it is hugely signigifcant, if not, it isn't.
It has to be about the evidence.

A

Ch4 are doing a 'controversial' documentary on Prince Charles tonight.
Having heard it discussed on Richard and Judy (without Judy!), it sounds like yet another shit-stirring exercise.

Perhaps someone should make a docu called
"Has Ch4 gone bonkers?" :D

Ooo ooo, only if it has a Poll with a premium rate number to call. Might as well do it properly.

Don't let truth stand in the way of a red-hot debunking of climate change

The science might be bunkum, the research discredited. But all that counts for Channel 4 is generating controversy

George Monbiot
Tuesday March 13, 2007
The Guardian

Were it not for dissent, science, like politics, would have stayed in the dark ages. All the great heroes of the discipline - Galileo, Newton, Darwin, Einstein - took tremendous risks in confronting mainstream opinion. Today's crank has often proved to be tomorrow's visionary.

But the syllogism does not apply. Being a crank does not automatically make you a visionary. There is little prospect, for example, that Dr Mantombazana Tshabalala-Msimang, the South African health minister who has claimed Aids can be treated with garlic, lemon and beetroot, will be hailed as a genius. But the point is often confused. Professor David Bellamy, for example, while making the incorrect claim that wind farms do not have "any measurable effect" on total emissions of carbon dioxide, has compared himself to Galileo.

The problem with The Great Global Warming Swindle, which caused a sensation when it was broadcast on Channel 4 last week, is that to make its case it relies not on future visionaries, but on people whose findings have already been proved wrong. The implications could not be graver. Just as the government launches its climate change bill and Gordon Brown and David Cameron start jostling to establish their green credentials, thousands have been misled into believing there is no problem to address.

The film's main contention is that the current increase in global temperatures is caused not by rising greenhouse gases, but by changes in the activity of the sun. It is built around the discovery in 1991 by the Danish atmospheric physicist Dr Eigil Friis-Christensen that recent temperature variations on Earth are in "strikingly good agreement" with the length of the cycle of sunspots.

Unfortunately, he found nothing of the kind. A paper published in the journal Eos in 2004 reveals that the "agreement" was the result of "incorrect handling of the physical data". The real data for recent years show the opposite: that the length of the sunspot cycle has declined, while temperatures have risen. When this error was exposed, Friis-Christensen and his co-author published a new paper, purporting to produce similar results. But this too turned out to be an artefact of mistakes - in this case in their arithmetic.

So Friis-Christensen and another author developed yet another means of demonstrating that the sun is responsible, claiming to have discovered a remarkable agreement between cosmic radiation influenced by the sun and global cloud cover. This is the mechanism the film proposes for global warming. But, yet again, the method was exposed as faulty. They had been using satellite data which did not in fact measure global cloud cover. A paper in the Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics shows that, when the right data are used, a correlation is not found.

So the hypothesis changed again. Without acknowledging that his previous paper was wrong, Friis-Christensen's co-author, Henrik Svensmark, declared there was a correlation - not with total cloud cover but with "low cloud cover". This, too, turned out to be incorrect. Then, last year, Svensmark published a paper purporting to show cosmic rays could form tiny particles in the atmosphere. Accompanying the paper was a press release which went way beyond the findings reported in the paper, claiming it showed that both past and current climate events are the result of cosmic rays.

As Dr Gavin Schmidt of Nasa has shown on www.realclimate.org, five missing steps would have to be taken to justify the wild claims in the press release. "We've often criticised press releases that we felt gave misleading impressions of the underlying work," Schmidt says, "but this example is by far the most blatant extrapolation beyond reasonableness that we have seen." None of this seems to have troubled the programme makers, who report the cosmic ray theory as if it trounces all competing explanations.

The film also maintains that manmade global warming is disproved by conflicting temperature data. Professor John Christy speaks about the discrepancy he discovered between temperatures at the Earth's surface and temperatures in the troposphere (or lower atmosphere). But the programme fails to mention that in 2005 his data were proved wrong, by three papers in Science magazine.

Christy himself admitted last year that he was mistaken. He was one of the authors of a paper which states the opposite of what he says in the film. "Previously reported discrepancies between the amount of warming near the surface and higher in the atmosphere have been used to challenge the reliability of climate models and the reality of human-induced global warming. Specifically, surface data showed substantial global-average warming, while early versions of satellite and radiosonde data showed little or no warming above the surface. This significant discrepancy no longer exists because errors in the satellite and radiosonde data have been identified and corrected."

Until recently, when found to be wrong, scientists went back to their labs to start again. Now, emboldened by the denial industry, some of them, like the film-makers, shriek "censorship!". This is the best example of manufactured victimhood I have come across. If you demonstrate someone is wrong, you are now deemed to be silencing him.

But there is one scientist in the film whose work has not been debunked: the oceanographer Carl Wunsch. He appears to support the idea that increasing carbon dioxide is not responsible for rising global temperatures. Wunsch says he was "completely misrepresented" by the programme, and "totally misled" by the people who made it.

This is a familiar story to those who have followed the career of the director Martin Durkin. In 1998, the Independent Television Commission found that, when making a similar series, he had "misled" his interviewees about "the content and purpose of the programmes". Their views had been "distorted through selective editing". Channel 4 had to make a prime-time apology.

Cherry-pick your results, choose work which is already discredited, and anything and everything becomes true. The twin towers were brought down by controlled explosions; MMR injections cause autism; homeopathy works; black people are less intelligent than white people; species came about through intelligent design. You can find lines of evidence which appear to support all these contentions, and, in most cases, professors who will speak up in their favour. But this does not mean that any of them are correct. You can sustain a belief in these propositions only by ignoring the overwhelming body of contradictory data. To form a balanced, scientific view, you have to consider all the evidence, on both sides of the question.

But for the film's commissioners, all that counts is the sensation. Channel 4 has always had a problem with science. No one in its science unit appears to understand the difference between a peer-reviewed paper and a clipping from the Daily Mail. 8) It keeps commissioning people whose claims have been discredited - such as Durkin. But its failure to understand the scientific process just makes the job of whipping up a storm that much easier. The less true a programme is, the greater the controversy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 75,00.html

And the Indie gives Ch4 a good kicking too:
The real global warming swindle
A Channel 4 documentary claimed that climate change was a conspiratorial lie. But an analysis of the evidence it used shows the film was riddled with distortions and errors
By Steve Connor
Published: 14 March 2007

A Channel 4 documentary that claimed global warming is a swindle was itself flawed with major errors which seriously undermine the programme's credibility, according to an investigation by The Independent.

The Great Global Warming Swindle, was based on graphs that were distorted, mislabelled or just plain wrong. The graphs were nevertheless used to attack the credibility and honesty of climate scientists.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environme ... 355956.ece

Again, this fails to address the two key aspects of the overall argument, namely the observations of warming in the Troposphere where greenhouse gasses gather, or the lack there of, and the historical lag reported between significant warming and the carbon dioxide levels.

It still fails to indicate whether in the past carbon dixoide was ever a cause or a result of global warming.

I am still in full support of reigning in our polluting habits and for better, cleaner, reneable sources of energy, but these questions need to be answered.

A

lorddrakul said:
Again, this fails to address the two key aspects of the overall argument, namely the observations of warming in the Troposphere where greenhouse gasses gather, or the lack there of, and the historical lag reported between significant warming and the carbon dioxide levels.

It still fails to indicate whether in the past carbon dixoide was ever a cause or a result of global warming.

I am still in full support of reigning in our polluting habits and for better, cleaner, reneable sources of energy, but these questions need to be answered.

A
No it doesn't.

If you read the articles refuting Global warming, you'd know that the stuff about the warming in the Troposphere is a bit of misdirection, based on bad science and a dodgy use of statistics and graphs. Looks impressive, but means little.

Solar warming does indeed release CO2 (adding to the Solar warming effect), however so does man. Therefore, MORE CO2 and MORE warming. Capiche?

Pietro,
I see your point but the Telegraph piece does not address the issue of the figures quoted for observed Troposphere temperatures, or indeed the quoted 800 year lag in warming.
Now I agree that any natural warming cycle heatring the ocean means that more CO2 is released in any case, but man made CO2 still only accounts for a small amount of the overall CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

Now, I am put in mind of the programme that David Attenborough did for the BBC. He said he looked at all the evdience and agreed that there appeared to be a general natural upward trend, but that the effects of man made CO2 were exagerating the trend. He showed a graph with natural warming on one line going upward in a nice eliptical and then there was a jagged line above it that had seperated out sometime around 1980 that had axtrapolated temperatures with man made CO2 influences.

I think I might have to get hold of the EC report and see what it is based on.
LD

Pietro_Mercurios said:
It must be a great comfort to you all to know that the big Business, Corporations, the money men,their lackies and apparently the RCP, are out and about spinning the counterargument against Global Warming.

So, who is controversial Channel4 documentary maker, Martin Durkin? Guardian columnist and environmentalist, George Monbiot, does not like him, from way back.

Hmmm so its Big Business and the Revolutionary Communist Party conspiring together againt the Environmentalists. Reminds me of Steve Jackson Games' game, Illuminati! :twisted:

Anyway I watched the programme and found it very very interesting. I am not a scientist but I was impressed by the number of scientists from respectable institutions (MIT etc), founder of Greenpeace and a former editor of the New Scientist and they were very convincing.

Likewise the evidence they produced appeared very convincing but again I do not place myself in a position to be able to evaluate it. At any rate it does seem that we produce very little CO2 on the scale of things when compared to volcanoes, animals, plants and the sea!

As to why everyone believes in man-made global warming, well I have no problem believing the environmental lobby is interested in keeping itself on the map rather than the actual issues. A reason why I left Greenpeace in the late 80s. I also think if the politicians think they have a way of raising taxes AND appearing virtuous at the same time it must be like Christmas and all their birthdays for them.

I think the Jury is still out - but I am sceptical of man made global warming now and want to find out more. Can anyone recommend any books or websites?

rynner said:
On the main Global Warming thread
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 009#699009
I posted this story
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/ ... 91,00.html
which rubbished the documentary and its makers.

One extract:
Given that the world's climatologists have just published a careful, sober report showing global warming is real and worrying, the programme is an astonishing foray into the debate. Certainly, there many reasons to deride it. Its contents are largely untrue, for a start. That is Channel 4's problem. Yet a couple of important points do emerge from this nonsense and we should not make the mistake of ignoring them. To back his case, director Martin Durkin interviews climate-change deniers including Phillip Stott, Piers Corbyn, Nigel Calder and Nigel Lawson who reveal their antipathy to the idea we are altering Earth's weather systems.

These names are scarcely unknown. Listeners to Today and viewers of Newsnight have been hearing Stott and the rest promote their views for years. Indeed, they have dominated and distorted the whole global warming debate, a point stressed by Alan Thorpe, head of the Natural Environment Research Council. 'These people are never off the radio or TV, yet now they claim debate is being suppressed? It is preposterous.' So what, we might ask, is the deniers' problem? Examine their movement and you see a common thread: most proponents are elderly, only a few are scientists and several have pronounced pro-market views. And hereby hangs a tale.

I find this quite interesting. I had bever heard of any of these people on the documentary before and the comment in bold I have highlighted reflects one comment on the programme that being sceptiocal about man made global warming was seen as akin to being holocaust denier! And lo and behold he is justified by an article attacking the programme. Synchronicity or what?!?

rynner said:
On the main Global Warming thread
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 009#699009
I posted this story
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/ ... 91,00.html
which rubbished the documentary and its makers.

One extract:
Given that the world's climatologists have just published a careful, sober report showing global warming is real and worrying, the programme is an astonishing foray into the debate. Certainly, there many reasons to deride it. Its contents are largely untrue, for a start. That is Channel 4's problem. Yet a couple of important points do emerge from this nonsense and we should not make the mistake of ignoring them. To back his case, director Martin Durkin interviews climate-change deniers including Phillip Stott, Piers Corbyn, Nigel Calder and Nigel Lawson who reveal their antipathy to the idea we are altering Earth's weather systems.

These names are scarcely unknown. Listeners to Today and viewers of Newsnight have been hearing Stott and the rest promote their views for years. Indeed, they have dominated and distorted the whole global warming debate, a point stressed by Alan Thorpe, head of the Natural Environment Research Council. 'These people are never off the radio or TV, yet now they claim debate is being suppressed? It is preposterous.' So what, we might ask, is the deniers' problem? Examine their movement and you see a common thread: most proponents are elderly, only a few are scientists and several have pronounced pro-market views. And hereby hangs a tale.

I find this quite interesting. I had bever heard of any of these people on the documentary before and the comment in bold I have highlighted reflects one comment on the programme that being sceptiocal about man made global warming was seen as akin to being holocaust denier! And lo and behold he is justified by an article attacking the programme. Synchronicity or what?!?

rynner said:
Quite.

Let's not allow one dodgy TV programme to erase the recent work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change:

'The really chilling thing about the IPCC report is that it is the work of several thousand climate experts who have widely differing views about how greenhouse gases will have their effect. Some think they will have a major impact, others a lesser role. Each paragraph of this report was therefore argued over and scrutinised intensely. Only points that were considered indisputable survived this process. This is a very conservative document - that's what makes it so scary,' said one senior UK climate expert.

Discussion of the IPCC report begins here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 026#688026

rynner, did you catch the programme? I am interested because there were people who were on the IPCC and had disagreed with the IPCC report but had not had their views taken into account and one had to threaten legal action before his name was removed from the report.

Indeed he alleged that the IPCC report had had its focus and facts re-written by politicians/civil servants rather than by scientists.

Now I don't know if that is all true or completely accurate but it certainly makes me want to treat the IPCC report more carefully when people call it the scientific consensus.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
The object of the exercise was not to inform, or to refute, but to confuse and to muddy the waters of the debate.

:?: Wasn't the exercise to actually have a debate :?:

Given my recent posts on this thread I am starting to feel like I am agreeing with what was presented in the programme. I don't agree with it but nor do I think we can simply dismiss it.

Forteana is full of examples of the scientific orthodoxy dismissing things or holding to one theory too dearly (comets/asteroids, ether, plate tectonics) only to be proven wrong or replaced by a new theory.

Shouldn't we actually listen to what the scientists like the ones in the programme say or should we just ignore there views because someone in the media labels them xxx-deniers? :(

lorddrakul said:
I have to say that I am entirely unimpressed by the political aspect of all this and firmly beleive that we, as a race, need to clean up our act anyway, reduce emissions, develop renewables and so forth.
However, I would like to know if the evidence presented is correct. Is there a lag between temperature changes and CO2 emissions that suggests elevated CO2 levels are a result of, not a cause of general warming? And is this borne out by the lack of a Troposphere warming and the mentioned surface warming?

If this is the case it is hugely signigifcant, if not, it isn't.
It has to be about the evidence.

A

Agree 100%

Sardan2 said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

:?: Wasn't the exercise to actually have a debate :?:

The exercise was to initiate a snark hunt.

So we have basically got a conspiracy between the Revolutionary Communist Party and the right-wing Libertarian global-warming deniers?
For some strange reason I find that idea quite easy to believe.

Part of the trouble is, a lot of the global climate change data that has been used in the past is probably irrelevant. We know change has been happening, sometimes quite rapidly, throughout the Holocene; most of these changes have been driven by cyclic changes in the Earth's orbit. So the condition of the climate of the past has almost nothing to do with anthropogenic carbon dioxide.

Now we are in uncharted waters; with a man-made CO2 level higher than we have ever knnown before, we can't rely on the records of the past. Only climate models predict anthropogenic global warming, and to be honest they are probably right. But global warming skeptics can argue against AGW by using the fact that the evidence of past climate change is practically irrelevant.

But knowing the Milankovich cycles we can in essence subtract them from the climate archives. And then we are still left with variations which require an explanation.

I've just been reading through the thread and I'm glad to see that there is some debate for and against. I can't help thinking though that some people seem to be diverted from the real issues. The question, to my mind is, is there any warming and if so what is the cause? It seems to me that the two questions have been linked in such a way that the one automatically leads to the other and this is where things go wrong.

Lets assume that there is some warming; is it caused by man-made CO2? To answer this it must be said that the cause of the greenhouse effect is not fully given by any of the proponents of the theory.
The main greenhouse gas by far is water vapour and CO2 accounts for but a tiny fraction of the overall effect. What we need to ask is, will variations in minute fractions of all greenhouse gas (CO2) affect the overall system or not?

It is well known that the earth passes through cycles of warm and cold and has done throughout it's history. What we are now experiencing is the high temperature part of a cycle and, I am told that this one is no warmer than the previous ones.

The cause of these cycles can only be the Sun, as there is no other comparable source of heat in the solar system.

We are told by astronomers that all the planets in the solar system are in a warming phase.

And so we see that we may be in a global warming period, but the question is, are we going to believe that we caused it, as the greenies and politicians tell us? Do they have an agenda that warming supports?
Only a couple of decades ago we were told by climatologists that we were due for an ice age and now we are going to fry. But of course when such turnabouts occur we are told that new improved methods of investigation have superseded the old, just like the washing powder. I personally don't believe a word of it, but you make up your own minds. ;)

ghostdog19 said:
What caused the climate changes of the past?

Crikey mate do you know how many climate changes there have been ? There must be a massive variety of causes from large meteorite hits to super massive volcanoes via solar cycles, forrest fires and dinosaur farts.

The man has his say:
'The global-warmers were bound to attack, but why are they so feeble?'
Last Updated: 11:20pm GMT 17/03/2007

'The Great Global Warming Swindle', broadcast by Channel 4, put the case for scepticism about man-made climate change. The programme sparked a heated debate and charges of scientific inaccuracy. Here, its director, Martin Durkin, responds to the critics.

On March 8, Channel 4 broadcast my programme. Since then, supporters of the theory of man-made global warming have published frothing criticism. I am attacked for using an "old" graph depicting temperature over the past 1,000 years. They say I should have used a "new" graph - one used by Al Gore, known as the "hockey stick", because it looks like one.

But the hockey stick has been utterly discredited. The computer programme used to generate it was found to produce hockey-stick shapes even when fed random data (I refer readers to the work of McIntyre & McKitrick and to the Wegman Report, all available on the internet). Other than the discredited hockey stick, the graph used by us (and published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) is the standard, accepted record of temperature in this period.

advertisementA critic claims that one of the graphs cited by us, illustrating the extraordinarily close correlation between solar variation and temperature change, has since been "corrected". It most certainly has not. The graph was produced by Prof Eigil Friis-Christensen, the head of the Danish National Space Centre, who says it still stands. But if the global-warmers don't like that graph, there are plenty of others that say the same thing.

No one any longer seriously disputes the link between solar activity and temperature in earth's climate history. I urge readers to look up on the net: Veizer, Geoscience Canada, 2005; and Soon, Geophysical Research Letters, 2005.

In the film, we used three graphs depicting temperature change in the 20th century. On one there was an error in the dates on the bottom. This was corrected for the second transmission of the programme, on More4, last Monday. It made no difference. Global-warmers can pick whichever graph they like. The problem for them remains the same. The temperature rise at the beginning of the century (prior to 1940, when human emissions of CO2 were relatively insignificant) was as great, most graphs show greater, than the temperature rise at the end of the century.

So what else do they hit me with? Prof Carl Wunsch, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who appeared in the film, later claimed he was duped into taking part. He was not.

The remarkable thing is not that I was attacked. But that the attacks have been so feeble. The ice-core data was the jewel in the global-warming crown, cited again and again as evidence that carbon dioxide 'drives' the earth's climate. In fact, as its advocates have been forced to admit, the ice-core data says the opposite. Temperature change always precedes changes in CO2 by several hundred years. Temperature drives CO2, not the other way round. The global-warmers do not deny this. They cannot.

During the post-war economic boom, while industrial emissions of CO2 went up, the temperature went down (hence the great global-cooling scare in the 1970s). Why? They say maybe the cooling was caused by SO2 (sulphur dioxide) produced by industry. But they say it mumbling under their breath, because they know it makes no sense. Thanks to China and the rest, SO2 levels are far, far higher now than they were back then. Why isn't it perishing cold?

Too many journalists and scientists have built their careers on the global-warming alarm. Certain newspapers have staked their reputation on it. The death of this theory will be painful and ugly. But it will die. Because it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
http://tinyurl.com/25vrk3

rynner said:
On one there was an error in the dates on the bottom. This was corrected for the second transmission of the programme, on More4, last Monday. It made no difference. Global-warmers can pick whichever graph they like. The problem for them remains the same. The temperature rise at the beginning of the century (prior to 1940, when human emissions of CO2 were relatively insignificant) was as great, most graphs show greater, than the temperature rise at the end of the century.

So all those pictures from the last part of the 19th century and first half of the 20th that show forests of factory chimneys in Europe and North America belching smoke were producing relatively insignificant amounts of CO2?...Steam trains, steam ships....

Don't exaggerate climate dangers, scientists warn

Hollywood and the media are 'appealing to fear' and confusing the public, say experts on global warming

Leading climate change experts have warned of the 'Hollywoodisation' of global warning and criticised American scientists for exaggerating the message of global warming.

Professors Paul Hardaker and Chris Collier of the Royal Meteorolgical Society said scientists, campaign groups, politicians and the media were all guilty of making out that catastrophic events were likely when this could not be proved.

They also criticised the tendency to say individual extreme events - such as the Birmingham typhoon and the Boscastle floods - were evidence of climate change.

Continues

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 28,00.html

Timble2 said:
rynner said:
On one there was an error in the dates on the bottom. This was corrected for the second transmission of the programme, on More4, last Monday. It made no difference. Global-warmers can pick whichever graph they like. The problem for them remains the same. The temperature rise at the beginning of the century (prior to 1940, when human emissions of CO2 were relatively insignificant) was as great, most graphs show greater, than the temperature rise at the end of the century.

So all those pictures from the last part of the 19th century and first half of the 20th that show forests of factory chimneys in Europe and North America belching smoke were producing relatively insignificant amounts of CO2?...Steam trains, steam ships....

I think the input and output of energy, chemicals etc used in factory production, transport at that time was much lower than today. By and large industrialisation had been a western phenomenon. Given the growth in the world's population and the level of consumption of even relatively poor countries now I'd have thought that the by comparison the emissions of a century or so ago would be considered insignificant.

Heres Simon Singhs tuppence ha'penny on it. Also some interesting stuff on Martin Durkans debating style.

I'm no global warming expert, but . . .
Simon Singh

Published 19 March 2007

Surely the majority of the world's climate change scientists can't be wrong - can they?

Last Thursday night I watched Channel 4's The Great Global Warming Swindle. I have been convinced for quite a while that human carbon emissions are causing global warming, so I was shocked that the producer Martin Durkin was able to present an apparently convincing set of counter arguments. I went to bed that night puzzled. If Durkin was right, then the overwhelming majority of climate scientists were either stupid or deceitful.

The following morning I awoke to find that Armand Leroi had copied me in on an email to Durkin. Leroi, a media-savvy biologist, admitted that he was not an expert on global warming, but that nevertheless he was sceptical about some assertions in the programme. A few minutes later, my PC went ping and I saw Durkin's brief five-word reply. I am paraphrasing for decency, but essentially he called Leroi an intellectually challenged penis.

I immediately emailed Durkin in an effort to engage him in a more sensible debate. Although he replied with a few coherent sentences, they were rather blunt: ("Since 1940 we have had four decades of cooling, three of warming . . . Why have we not heard this in the hours and hours of shit programming on global warming shoved down our throats by the BBC?"), and he ended with the instruction that I should engage in a sexual act with my own body that was physically impossible. All this and I had not even had breakfast.

I spent the rest of the day trying to find out the truth about the documentary. Despite the producer's potty mouth, maybe he was right? I sent a few emails, but before I could get any reliable answers I was heading to Venice to attend a conference on mathematics and culture.

Towards the end of the conference I bumped into mathematician and crime writer Catherine Shaw. We stood outside a lecture as she explained how she had recently met the legendary Alexander Grothendieck. Having revolutionised maths in the 1960s, Grothendieck became disillusioned with society. He was a pacifist and protested against the war in Vietnam by lecturing in the forests surrounding Hanoi while bombs were falling nearby. Then, in 1988, convinced that the world was evil, he withdrew to the French countryside. In 1990, he disappeared, abandoning the only woman he had loved and setting fire to his manuscripts.

Shaw had tracked him down and built a fragile relationship with him. As we discussed whether he would ever return to the mathematical community, we were interrupted by a flurry of froth. The last conference lecture was all about bubbles, which mathematicians call minimal surfaces. Its end was being marked by 200 academics frantically blowing bubbles. Never one to miss a bubble-blowing opportunity, I joined in.

Back in London, the truth about the Channel 4 documentary was becoming apparent. The Observer had published a letter by a group of eminent scientists who were angered because the programme had "misrepresented the state of scientific knowledge on global warming". They did not spell out the distortions, but my friend Gabrielle Walker, who has just written a book about the atmosphere, had emailed me with some information explaining that Durkin had been somewhat economical with the truth.

Debunking claims

For example, he is right to say that temperatures fell slightly for a few decades in the mid-20th century, which might seem peculiar as lots of carbon was being burned. However, Durkin forgets to say that the resulting soot reflected sunlight and caused cooling that compensated for the warming effects of carbon dioxide. In recent decades, because we have cleaned up the soot, global warming has taken off unchecked.

I could continue debunking Durkin's claims, but it is a new week and I am behind schedule on what I ought to be doing. My problem is that global warming is a serious issue, so I am easily distracted and irritated by programmes that fool viewers with incomplete arguments, and it is particularly annoying if the producer also lacks manners.

Simon Singh is author of "Fermat's Last Theorem" (HarperPerennial)

http://www.newstatesman.com/200703190012

Back