• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Greater Manchester Street So Haunted You Had To Sign A Waiver To Move There

Nemo

Go away, leave me alone, nemo is home
The Greater Manchester street so haunted you had to sign a WAIVER to move there.

Malevolent spirts were said to haunt Wingates Grove for years - forcing a local church to get involved and perform an exorcism

On the outskirts of Bolton lies a street with a dark secret.
Wingates Grove in Westhoughton was said to be haunted by a poltergeist throughout the 1990s – terrifying all those who lived there.
The malevolent spirit was said to have attached itself to a row of council houses and tormented families for years.

The hauntings reputedly became so frightening Bolton Council was forced to intervene, but staff couldn't find a rational explanation for what was going on.

At one stage an exorcism was carried out, and all paranormal activity on the street is now thought to have ceased.
Even so, years after the last ghostly goings-on, one resident was still made to sign a disclaimer form before moving into her home.
It all started in 1993 when one family started experiencing bizarre activity.
It was said that their toddler would talk to a ‘little man’ in his room and an oil-type substance would run down the walls.
The incidents reportedly baffled maintenance workers who could not determine the cause of the issues.
The family eventually contacted a local church and an exorcism was carried out at the address.
Following the ritual, the street fell quiet.
(C) MEN. '22

I think that covers most of Greater Manchester, for sure?

Family A experienced a toddler with an imaginary playmate, plus some goo running down a wall.

Five years later, Family B moves into another house, two doors down. Only 22 years later, the daughter of the family shares her experiences:

I’ve suffered with anxiety since to the point where the whole thing about the street is on my doctor’s note.”

l think the word “since” is doing a lot of work here.

maximus otter

I was in Manchester for a day last summer, and as is my habit, headed straight for a bookshop to grab a book on local ghosts. Except there weren't any (ghost books, not ghosts, though I didn't see any of those either). I had to settle for ordering a second-hand book online that had been published in 2002. Poor show, Manchester.

Back