• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
... The ruins were quite small, and there were lots of bits strewn around, including a piece that looked like it had come from a column or frieze, and it was very definitely a Green Man. Ok, a “foliate face”. I have a photo somewhere that I’ll try to dig out if anyone is interested?

I'm interested ...

The ruins were quite small, and there were lots of bits strewn around, including a piece that looked like it had come from a column or frieze, and it was very definitely a Green Man. Ok, a “foliate face”. I have a photo somewhere that I’ll try to dig out if anyone is interested?

Yes please!!!!!!!! :twothumbs:

Late to the party as ever.... I went to Jordan in 2002, mainly to see Petra, but the trip took in a lot of other places, including the Roman city at Umm Qais, the Gadara of the Bible. The ruins were quite small, and there were lots of bits strewn around, including a piece that looked like it had come from a column or frieze, and it was very definitely a Green Man. Ok, a “foliate face”. I have a photo somewhere that I’ll try to dig out if anyone is interested?
Hello, Mrs. Migs? Photo? Please?

(I'm only seeing this a year and a half after it was posted, talk about being late to a party!!!)

So does this look like the same artist? https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/bryonydrew

I know I can contact the artist but I'm shy

:oops:
I would say it could be. The thing that strikes me about the puzzle is the dark black outlines in it which she certainly uses in her drawings. I think the puzzle just looks very different as it is not a drawing but "a mix of illustration, photography and photoshop".

This is just my uneducated opinion though. I am sure that more arty types would know more.

Anyway, the real question is, did you find them all? :) (I am going to need a bigger screen that my mobile to tackle it).

A long thread here:

Twitter: Dr Robin Douglas @Robin_C_Douglas
Right, you bastards, you've driven me to it.
WHY THE GREEN MAN IS NOT A PAGAN SYMBOL

Lots of foliate heads survive from the Christian middle ages (esp. 1150-1500), both on physical monuments and in manuscripts. (They weren't all human - interestingly, some were feline).
NO-ONE HAS EVER SUCCEEDED IN PROVING THAT THESE HEADS HAD ANY ONE SINGLE UNIFYING MEANING.
The motif probably meant different things to different people.
Sorry to be boring!
There were ancient pagan iconographical precedents for the motif - these were associated with many gods, including Bacchus and Oceanus.
But the usage of the motif in the Christian middle ages, which began in the C10-12, seems to be independent of these ancient precedents.
The mediaeval Christian motif *may* have been "pagan" in the sense of originating from the Indian iconography of Shiva and Vishnu, mediated through the Islamic world. This has been argued by Mercia MacDermott. But that history was not known to the people who used the motif.
So why do people like P*ter H*tchens think that the "Green Man" was a pre-Christian British pagan god?
This theory comes from an article published in 1939 by Lady Raglan, an aristocrat and amateur scholar.
Etc ...

Back