• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grey Man Of Ben Macdhui

There was a good article on the Brocken Spectre in one of the Fortean Studies books, if you can find it.

You're thinking of Cader Idris, which is the second largest peak in Snowdonia.

There are 15 peaks in Snowdonia over 3,000 ft (I've stood on them all) and Cader Idris is only 2,930 feet.

However, all the stuff about the chair/seat/stronghold of the giant, Idris, and anyone who sleeps there waking up mad, a poet, or dead is part of the mythology attached to Cader Idris.

(Transferred here from the British Bigfoot thread)

A screenshot of related images, with source links.

I have never previously seen this phenomenon photographed and WOW!!!

View attachment 28509
Excellent selection of photos of a beautiful phenomenon. I saw one with the shadow of myself and my first wife when we were part way up Pen yr Ole Wen many years ago.

Excellent selection of photos of a beautiful phenomenon. I saw one with the shadow of myself and my first wife when we were part way up Pen yr Ole Wen many years ago.
How extraordinarily special that must have been.

Curios if there were any 'spectre' related images from same location, I searched online and have found a photograph which is so breathtakingly wondrous, it has to rank amongst the most stunning pictures I have ever seen.

Given the utmost challenging photographic conditions present - particularly an enormous variation between light and shade - to record a 'decent snapshot' of the occurrence would be tremendous.

To actually photograph such a unique moment in time and incorporate a depth-of-field, where everything from the foreground to distant background is 'pin sharp'...

I can only envisage an exceptional, professional photographer, having that capability.

The photographer is attributed as Mel Hughes, from Colwyn Bay.

'Mercifully yes please and thank you'... this does indeed seem to be the situation.

It's resultant of endeavours by EnolaGaia, taking time to relocate my original posting to this more directly appropriate thread and the fascinating response from your good self, that this hath all occureth.

So... dedicated to both of you, I shall post separately the photograph taken.

As for Mel Hughes... if I can find time, we ain't heard the last here of our photographer... not by a long, long way...

All hopefully explained in due course...

The background story of, 'A moon halo captured from Pen yr Ole Wen in Snowdonia', can be read here:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tryfan-mountain-weather-halo-moon-17885228.amp

89178202_10221957364783435_7528794644428095488_n_compress67.jpg

A recent sighting of the Grey Man

'Creepy' Grey Man of Ben Macdui 'spotted' as legend makes sightings board at Mar Lodge​

Mar Lodge shared the sighting of a 'creepy grey silhouette' on the famous peak.

One of the most famous tales in Scottish mountaineering lore, the big Grey Man is said to be a terrifying figure that stalks the slopes of Ben Macdui. The giant creature has caused even vastly experienced climbers to suffer feelings of eeriness, fright and has even induced panic.
And it seems it might have made a return to the mountain it calls home after a guest at Mar Lodge shared their story to a wildlife sighting board. A post on the lodge's official Facebook page read: "Our ranger hut has a whiteboard where visitors to the estate can let us know what wildlife they've seen.
"Most of the time it's the usual mix of squirrels, adders, eagles and of course, midges....but look what was spotted up on Ben Macdui on 27th September."
The spooked guest had written that they had spotted a 'creepy grey silhouette' at the peak of Ben Macdui.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/creepy-grey-man-ben-macdui-28178232

Back