• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grim Reaper / Angel Of Death / Personification Of Death

meowfur Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, no need to be embarrassed, Wiintermoon. If more people showed this kind of tenderness toward animals the world would be a better place.

Thank-you. :likee:

My husband and I have a theory that there was be a finite number of souls, and too many bodies. We think this because we have met people who have had "dead" eyes or expressions on their faces, like there's no "spark" in them. We've also met plenty of animals that had the "spark" of intelligence and awareness (but not all of them do). We think that some humans don't have souls, and some animals do.

I know that I have certainly met animals that seemed to know a heck of a lot more than they should.

I know it sounds weird, and we have no evidence that we can show anyone else, it's just one of those odd things we have in common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadescha

I agree - I have certainly known many animals that seemed very intelligent, beyond the 'he's very bright' variety. And its true that some people seem less than 'soulful', if you know what I mean - not quite there in a strange way. Perhaps that's why the 'Angel' is only seen to come for some people (and animals) and not others.

My husband and I have a theory that there was be a finite number of souls, and too many bodies. We think this because we have met people who have had "dead" eyes or expressions on their faces, like there's no "spark" in them. We've also met plenty of animals that had the "spark" of intelligence and awareness (but not all of them do). We think that some humans don't have souls, and some animals do.

I beleive in similar views.

I have always believed that when your time has come, your soul passes onto a new start with a fresh body, but sometimes souls dont arrive where or when they are surposed to, or they just dont want to go on anymore.(or read the map wrong one lazy sunday and instead of being sent to a future president of the free world end up as a cheese and ham sandwich at kingscross station circa 1034am April 11th 1962)

That these people live their lives almost like a caracter from the SIMS game.

maybe this could be a reason why we bump into people we have never met before but something deep inside tells us that we have(but in a prior exstistance).

Sadescha said:

Here's something I've been wondering about for years - might there be "living" human bodies in rest homes, kept functioning by blood pumps and aerators, by buzzing gizmos and flashing lights, whose souls have long since quit the scene?

No, because a person who can only be kept alive by such means would be not in a nursing home but in an intensive care unit, where resources are limited and the fact of brain-death would soon have to be faced.

However, if you mean people who can breathe for themselves but who are tube-fed and incontinent and incapable of commmunication, then yes, there are many like that in nursing homes. They can survive for years.

SanMarco3 said:
The two `stand-out' facts that my mum always refers to are the fact that she could only see it's eyes (because of the position of it's arm) and the large brimmed hat (usually followed by her making a circular motion in the air with both hands).
It does seem like a familiar motif, the cape/brim combination, arm up to face.

I dont want to come across as insensitive, but did your mother have a premonition that something would happen that night, or around that time? Was there the feeling that your fathers time was very close?

My comment, Escargot, was triggered by a conversation I had with a young Christian physician several years back.

"If I were both unethical enough and immoral enough to do so," he said, "I believe that with today's equipment and sufficent funds I could keep a human body 'alive' - if you really want to call it that - to age 125 or 150. It wouldn't be pretty to look at, maybe outrageously disgusting, but it would also be 'not quite dead.' So the question arises - would I be keeping the soul trapped away from God or would the soul have long since left the body?"

Further to OLD TIME RADIO comment, I have a friend who works in a hospital with terminal patients ,some who are in comas, she has spoken with people who have awoken from comas who said they had been on the 'other side' .
Also one of the visitors who was a medium said about the patient she was visiting that some times they had gone over and the body hadn't realised!

When i was very young i hated going to bed. I remember having tantrums and hanging on to the banister at the bottom and physically having to be dragged up to bed even if i was exhausted. I was terrified of the things in the house. I knew were there but that's different stories. The main reason was i did'nt like to go to sleep. The second i closed my eyes i would wake again in bed in the same situation in which id fallen to sleep but i knew i was asleep. My ears would ring and thump, my heart would race and i knew, i had to flee. I would be chased by a tall thing in a long black cloak, big black hood covering its face and carring what i now know to be a cicle. I would run out of my room down the stairs and hide in the recess below the stairs in the fetal position and rock backward's and forwards as the thumping in my ears and head got louder, the closer he got the louder it became. It never chased me fast, just walked slowly behind me. I knew if i did'nt wake up before it got to me i would die and never wake up again. I always managed to wake my self up and this continued every night for years and years, right back to as far as i can remember and i think i was 10 the last time i had this nightmare. The last time was the only time i woke in a different location to where id fallen asleep (in my dream) It was my grandmas house. I woke (in reality) obviously where i had fallen asleep in my own bed at home. I now know that the thing in my dreams is what is referred to as the grimm reaper. I mentioned it to my father once and he told me that the grimm reaper was a messenger of the devil and he only came to collect the soul's of evil people. Other theories are that hes the angel of death in general. Its strange that even as a child, before i knew who he was, i knew id die if i did'nt wake before he got to me.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had any simlar experiences or if im the only one and what it could mean. Or just any theories of the grimm reaper his self. All theories are welcome and encouraged no matter how mundane or extreme.

Thanks Lucy.

I had dreams like this with the thumping in my ears. I asked someone about it because it seemed to be always as I lay my head down on the pillow. I was told it was my heart beat and when I checked it with my pulse, it was identical. If you read this forum, you'll see I've posted about my experiences with what has become to be known as 'the hat man/shadow person' which has similarities with your dreams. Just out of interest, when you put your ear to the pillow, did you ever hear what sounded like lots of voices chatting Not in a friendly chat. More like a collection of voices that were freaking out but no words could ever be discerned.

Intresting and yes i still get that now even during the day. That got worse as i got older actually, i call it the charlie browns teacher affect. To me it either feels like really slowed down converstions like listening through a wall to a convo in slow mo and i feel compleatly spaced out or it's incredably sped up and feels agressive, makes me feel anxious, with electric static buzz in my ears.

You ever get any conclushons to what it was? iv always wondered if im a medium in some way or maybe borderline scitzophrenic. lol :l

Yep, the Grim Reapers alive and well!
So some scientist belives, check out this link
http://www.manchester.com/interactive/exta2.html
... :

The link is long dead. Here's the webpage's text (concerning the Grim Reaper / Angel of Death), salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

Angel of Death may well exist says investigator of 100 sightings
1pix.gif

1pix.gif
For hundreds of years he has symbolised impending death. Dressed in a monk's garb and carrying a scythe, the shadowy figure of the Grim Reaper, so the stories go, appears at the bedside of those who are about to leave the world. Now one of the world's leading paranormal investigators has claimed that the shadowy figure may be more than just a figment of frightened imaginations.
American Mark Chorvinsky, editor of Strange Magazine says almost most every culture has a Grim Reaper or Angel of Death. The Angel of Death has been part of Western folklore for thousands of years. The first depiction of a skeleton in black robes and hood appeared in the 15th century. At this time, this was the standard garb for pall bearers at funerals and the clothing became a symbol of death.

The stories studied by Mr Chorvinsky show him as a gentle, patient negotiator, who helps people through death, or sometimes persuades them to stay alive. He even talks to witnesses and calms them. He glides, rather than walks, and wears a black monk's hood over a skeleton face with hollow eye sockets, sometimes burning with blue or red fire. He carries a scythe, hourglass or tube.

'People I have interviewed are totally sincere about this,' said Mr Chorvinsky, who admits he is uncertain exactly what they are seeing. 'There are cases where there are multiple witnesses, where two or more people who didn't know the person who died have seen the Grim Reaper.'

Among the accounts he has collected is one by a former nurse, now aged 76, who recalled how she saw a hooded figure 30 years ago when she worked in a Texas hospital. She saw a tall figure dressed in a monk's robes standing by the bed of an old lady. 'His face was a skull with tiny red fires for eyes. His hands, skeletal, were patiently folded over each other inside the dark sleeves. My impression was he was very patient, waiting,' she said. 'When he looked at me I became almost frozen.' The nurse, who left the room in terror, later learned the patient had been fighting death for a week and passed away soon afterwards.

A man from New York claimed the Grim Reaper warned him that his wife had taken an overdose. He told how he appeared at his side in his living room one evening holding a scythe.
He said: 'He wore a black-hooded robe. His face was a gleaming white skull. He was just looking at me. I felt a cold chill come over me.' The figure travelled through the door and vanished.
The man ran to his bathroom, where he found his wife unconscious, with an empty bottle of pills at her side. She recovered in hospital.

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20031019225327/http://www.manchester.com/interactive/exta2.html

Last edited:
... [edit See also this review of 'Encounters With Death: A Compendium of Anthropomorphic Personifications of Death from Historical to Present Day Phenomenon':

http://spiritdimension.com/near-dea...-encounters-with-death--a-compendium-of-a.htm

The link is dead. Here (below) is the text of the linked 2003 webpage, salvaged from the Wayback Machine. It consists of a review from Amazon.

Encounters With Death: A Compendium of Anthropomorphic Personifications of Death from Historical to Present Day Phenomenon
by Leilah Wendell
Release Date: 01 June, 1996
Edition: Paperback

Would like to see more on this subject.

'Encounters' is a darned interesting read and I thouroghly enjoyed it. However it is not without flaws. Possibly the greatest flaw would be the fact that if you've read the author's brilliant webpages on the subject, you've already read about 80% of this book! I guess If you are borrowing from yourself that's okay, but posting huge portions of your book on the web & then charging people to read the left over dregs is not my idea of "cool". On the other hand, This is one of those highly esoteric subjects that you're lucky to find ANY information about, and in all honesty it is possibly to Ms. Wendell's credit that she has simply decided to share this important material with anyone who takes the time to visit her site.
All this aside, I do not regret buying this book, and I believe that books like this are a rare gem in this world. The heart of the text is the large section on first hand "sightings" of the Grim Reaper himself, reported by folks from the usual "all walks of life". unfortunately, there seem to be a few too many letters from pretentious flakes that have somehow survived the editing process, but the vast majority of these accounts are as chilling as they are moving.
To the true Fortean, this book may not strike them as being as "professionally" or objectively written as Mark Chorvinsky's excellent article on the subject from 'Strange Magazine' a few years ago (Grim Reaper Encounters), but it is no less solid and researched an account of weird non-human visitations than John A. Keel's landmark 'Mothman Prophesies'.
Some of the book seems to be composed of "filler" material to fatten the spine. There is a section on Death personified in art through the ages which, though not unwelcome and good for atmosphere, is ultimately far too cursory and irrelevent to warrant it's inclusion in this book. Then there's a section on Death personified in poetry which I frankly skimmed over as being far too melodramatic...

From Amazon.com

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2004012...-encounters-with-death--a-compendium-of-a.htm

Current Amazon catalog listing for the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Encounters-D...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

NOTE: The customer reviews are not consistently laudatory ...

There's a book called Glasgow Taxi by a guy called Jack Clyde, a memoir of his career as...well, the title says it all. It contains a really interesting bit about him driving through quiet streets in the north of the city very late one night and seeing an enormously tall black-cloaked figure (possibly standing outside a cemetery, I don't remember precisely). Unfortunately that's pretty much all the info he gives.

I have seen the Grim Reaper several times, and in each instance a person in that immediate area passed on, within a week or two.
Last time I saw it was across the road from where we are living presently, and 8 people passed who lived on that block.
Back in April, at 4:00 a.m. I woke unable to breath, felt like my throat was closed. I had a few sips of water and was all right, but immediately I thought of my father, who lived in another state. Sure enough, two days later at 4:00 a.m. he passed on.
My mother also appeared in our doorway one morning, disappeared, and so I knew that she was gone.
I grew up with a British grandmother who had this 'sixth sense', as did her mother before her, they were from Liverpool. My whole life I have had these experiences, some of them very strange, but I have learned to listen to my inner senses, because they are always correct, and I'm sure we all have them!

I have seen the Grim Reaper several times, and in each instance a person in that immediate area passed on, within a week or two.
Last time I saw it was across the road from where we are living presently, and 8 people passed who lived on that block.
Back in April, at 4:00 a.m. I woke unable to breath, felt like my throat was closed. I had a few sips of water and was all right, but immediately I thought of my father, who lived in another state. Sure enough, two days later at 4:00 a.m. he passed on.
My mother also appeared in our doorway one morning, disappeared, and so I knew that she was gone.
I grew up with a British grandmother who had this 'sixth sense', as did her mother before her, they were from Liverpool. My whole life I have had these experiences, some of them very strange, but I have learned to listen to my inner senses, because they are always correct, and I'm sure we all have them!
Pleas tell us more Ronnie! Also, what did the GR look like?

The first time I saw this thing was several years ago, I had opened a business and took my business card to a printing company down the road, it was very old and had never been there before. I walked in and all was quiet, no one around, but a light was showing from a doorway on my right. I walked into an office with a few desks and said, 'Hello?' No one was around, but in the corner of the room was a black THING, shaped like a man, just standing there, no face or features. A man appeared to help me, an older person, very tall with pink cheeks and white hair and a big smile. Well I ordered my business cards and ran out the door, and had someone else pick the cards up for me because I wasn't going back into that building.
About 10 days later, I was reading the local newspaper, and came across this man's photo - he had just passed away. I knew then that this THING was the Grim Reaper, and was horrified.
Some years later, I saw it across the hedges in the yard next door, just standing there. This time I knew what it was and the following week the owner of that house next door passed on at 94 years old.
A few years ago I saw it standing in the front garden of the house across the street. As I looked at this black thing, it disappeared. And again, the woman living in that house entered the hospital the next week, lingered, and then passed on. But 7 more people died on that block within several months.
It's very strange in that it has the shape of a human being, completely black, no features whatever, very disturbing. At least that's what I see. And it makes me wonder why this thing waits for a person to die, or even knows that someone is dying?

What's weird too is that those 8 people who died on the block across the street - one was a suicide, one was an overdose, three were age-related natural causes, one was a young woman who we never found out exactly what the cause of death was, perhaps heart or something similar, one elderly woman was hit by a car, and her son who lived with her was found at home, after being dead for one week.
Really horrifying. We will be more than happy when we move to another location!

The Grim Reaper already got him seven years ago.

If you have evidence that he has some link to the title of this thread, please post it.
I've been wondering for years, is the Grim Reaper some type of Satanic figure?

Last edited:
Back