• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grinning Man

A

Anonymous

Grinning Man

I have heard a lot about "The Grinning Man" but have so far been unable to find anything about him. Could anybody please tell me something about him?

Thanks.

Re: Grinning Man

MorbidPuppy said:
I have heard a lot about "The Grinning Man" but have so far been unable to find anything about him. Could anybody please tell me something about him?

Thanks.

In what context have you heard about him, MorbidPuppy?

:confused:

I've heard a brief mention of him in a couple of books and websites, but have never been able to find anything more detailed.

MorbidPuppy: Fancy dropping a few quotes and links in so we can get the context?

Emps

It's from The Field Guide to North American Monsters.

Quote:

"The Grinning Man is tall and extremely broad; many witnesses describe him as the largest man they have ever seen. his eyes are beady and widely spaced and his nose and ears are extremely small. The Grinning Man usually shaves his head, but when he does allow it to grow, it is a shocking white. The monster wears a pair of shimmering green overalls and a thick black belt"

That's about all I have been able to find. Is it any help?

IIRC, Keel mentions this entity in his book 'The Complete Guide To Mysterious Beings'. Reports seem to describe a tall man with small eyes who seems to just stand there and wear a very broad grin, with his arms folded and his hands tucked into his armpits. He also notes that this is pretty much exactly how Indrid Cold first appeared to a contactee (before he started cropping up in relation to the Mothman events)...

Thanks! I thought that no-one else had ever heard of him! Are there any websites that give more detailed information?

I posted this thread first on the general forteana board, but now realise that it would have been better on this one.

I'm trying to find more in formation on "The Grinning Man", a very tall man in green overalls and tiny eyes.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

JerryB said:
IIRC, Keel mentions this entity in his book 'The Complete Guide To Mysterious Beings'. Reports seem to describe a tall man with small eyes who seems to just stand there and wear a very broad grin, with his arms folded and his hands tucked into his armpits.
Do you know if he's at all related to the 'man in the checked shirt'?

MorbidPuppy said:
I posted this thread first on the general forteana board, but now realise that it would have been better on this one.

I'm trying to find more in formation on "The Grinning Man", a very tall man in green overalls and tiny eyes.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks!
So I merged them, into Notes and Queries.

Isn't there a tale of the same name by Orson Scott Card. I've not read it so don't know if it's about your legendary smiler!:D

MorbidPuppy said:
Thanks! I thought that no-one else had ever heard of him! Are there any websites that give more detailed information?

I'm not sure - my advice would be to get Keel's book. It's very good and full of similar weirdness.

my experience with a "Grinning Man"

When I was about seven or eight years old, I was bedridden with some strange childhood malady that left me temporarily unable to walk under my own power, [my mom just tells me "the doctors never could figure out what was wrong." my dad just says that I was lazy!]
One night I lay in bed, not sleeping, just lying there thinking. It was raining outside, and I was half listening to the sound of the rain on the window that was right beside my bed. It was an almost hypnotic sound [but I still swear I wasn't sleeping!]. The funny thing was, the more I tried to concentrate on the sound, the louder and more distinct it became, or to put it a bit better, the more "aware" of the sound I became, the louder it got.
It got so loud that I finally looked up at the glass to see what the heck was going on, and found, to my obvious horror, that there was a man "banging" on the glass!
He was tall alright, tall enough so he filled the frame of the window, and he did have the enormous grin that gave him his name. [if it WAS the Grinning Man, and not just some freak who happened to be grinning.]
When he saw that he had my attention, his grin became even more crazy, and he started yelling at me "Let me IN! Let me IN!"
I lost it...
I started screaming my head off! [remember at the time I couldn't just jump up and bolt, I was just lying there feeling helpless.] Well, my Mom bursts through the door, and comes running in. When SHE sees the figure in the window, SHE starts screaming her head off too! She scooped me up, blankets and all, and runs out of the room with me. Her room had a phone, so she ran down there and tossed me on her bed. At this point all of my sisters [five of them] had woken up and they were screaming and carrying on, even though they had NO IDEA whatsoever of what was going on, so while they are all screeching and quacking like ducks, my mom is on the phone to the police.
Mind you, I had not yet even spoken to my mom about exactly what had happened, she was just reacting to what she had seen.
She called the police and told them there was a prowler trying to get in, and they sent out a patrol car.
It was in either October or November, so they ground was plenty muddy and leaf strewn, but the cops didn't find a single footprint or mark on the glass. They told her they would come back occasionally during the night and check on us, but that they thought it was just a case of nerves.
It was years later while reading Mr. Keel that I had "an epiphany" that it may have been the "Grinning Man" I had seen.

Trace Mann
[at work and typing fast, sorry for any typos!]

Why is the man grinning though? Does he find something amusing, or have his lips been torn off? :confused:

He's grinning because he landed a long-term contract selling Niblets sweetcorn. He managed to overcome his distaste at wearing nothing but some leaves and a pair of tights. However, in latest reports (adverts) he's been seen consorting with a smaller, cuter green-kid-thing and is probably worried about his renewal of contract.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Re: my experience with a "Grinning Man"

ZPumpkinEscobar said:
When I was about seven or eight years old...

Fascinating post. By your mention of your focus on the patter of rain that merged with the banging of the man on the pane are you hinting that your focus in some way invoked him? Like the way some have to attune their senses to 'see' 'Little Folk' or 'view' auras etc. Kind of an altered consciousness thing - you had been ill afterall...

Also, what, if you recall, was he wearing. Was it contemporary styles or was he more a 'historical' character?

edit: There are grins then there are GRINS. Are we talking the imbecilic smirk of a simpleton or the menacing and knowing smile of a psychopath who holds all the cards?

Bannik said:
Yes, they are the same man. I've read the section on him in Keel's book since this post.
Thanks! You're the best.:yeay:

First sign of madness...:rolleyes:

I can only imagine the lovely aroma that would accompany Yithian's sock puppet. I mean look at it, it's dirty....
:cross eye

Remember kids, always use a CLEAN sock if you're going to make a sock puppet...unless stinky is what you're going for, in that case let me wear it for a day or two.

David Raven said:
Isn't there a tale of the same name by Orson Scott Card. I've not read it so don't know if it's about your legendary smiler!:D

I've read it. It's a good read, but not the same smiler, no. :) Not unless he was around in an alternative america during the 19th century, smiling bears down from the trees....

Mango said:
I can only imagine the lovely aroma that would accompany Yithian's sock puppet. I mean look at it, it's dirty....

D'ya wanna see my puppies love... :kiss:

Rainy, that URL doesn't work when clicked on, but it does when cut&pasted.

Back