The Handy Tips Thread

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Always carry three handkerchiefs, one to use, one for emergencies and the third to offer someone in need...

...of a normal use of a handkerchief, not for whatever smut you people might feel like suggesting! Make all the filthy jokes you like in the privacy of your own heads!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Cut one fingernail every day.
They'll all remain respectably short but you'll always have one long enough for scratching, nose-picking or separating lego bricks.

push rice crispies into the treads of you car tyres
for that expensive gravel driveway feel

Lots of holes tied together make excellent nets.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A cautionary tip to avoid potential forgery ... (Seen just now on a morning news show ...)

The new year 2020 raises a possible issue if you're in the habit of (hand-) writing the date on a check in **/**/YY format (i.e., using only the last two digits for the year at the end of the text string).

If you leave the date inscription as **/**/20, anyone can add two digits to alter the year.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A cautionary tip to avoid potential forgery ... (Seen just now on a morning news show ...)

The new year 2020 raises a possible issue if you're in the habit of (hand-) writing the date on a check in **/**/YY format (i.e., using only the last two digits for the year at the end of the text string).

If you leave the date inscription as **/**/20, anyone can add two digits to alter the year.
I rarely write cheques anymore, just a couple a year. I can see how the year could easily be changed but how would this aid a forger?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I rarely write cheques anymore, just a couple a year. I can see how the year could easily be changed but how would this aid a forger?
Not so much a cheque but a legal document say a sale of something taking place in 2020 with bill of sale saying the date was /20. Said item used in a crime and the bill being changed to 2018 thus proving the item was not in the possession of someone at the time the crime took place or vice versa.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
This is quite specific, but tips on how to meet women in St. Louis.

POSSIBLY NSFW owing to attire.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is quite specific, but tips on how to meet women in St. Louis.

POSSIBLY NSFW owing to attire.

Do all women in St. Louis sit around in their underwear for no reason?

Ger

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score

Yes, having to do this on paperwork at work as they are legal documents.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
If you're looking for an excuse to take a day off Work, mention incontinence - no-one not suffering from it would say that they were.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If you're looking for an excuse to take a day off Work, mention incontinence - no-one not suffering from it would say that they were.
Genius!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Enough with the Viz Top Tips rip-offs. Here's one that's saved me LOADS of trouble.

I've wrapped a rubber band round each of the front room room doofers. They don't slide off the sofa arms any more and they even stay put wherever we set them down. It's like a miracle.

Techy was unimpressed at first but after several beatings eventually he came round to my way of thinking.

OK, it looks a bit sad but so does pulling up the sofas and grovelling underneath them every day.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Enough with the Viz Top Tips rip-offs. Here's one that's saved me LOADS of trouble.

I've wrapped a rubber band round each of the front room room doofers. They don't slide off the sofa arms any more and they even stay put wherever we set them down. It's like a miracle.

Techy was unimpressed at first but after several beatings eventually he came round to my way of thinking.

OK, it looks a bit sad but so does pulling up the sofas and grovelling underneath them every day.
Just one question - what is a front room room doofer?