• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Harrying Of The North

IMHO, there’s little doubt that Harold was the best Man for the job in Jan 1066; virtually Sub-King since 1055, a proven, battle hardened and successful General, politically able, with a prominent reputation in Europe, and again, proven ruthless enough to kick his Brother out; all “good” qualities required of a strong King.
No saint definitely, but yes, I think it’s fair He probably was the very best of a bad bunch!
Quite agree. The possibility that hardly ever seems to get a mention is that Hardrada and Tostig took over England. I think Tostig would not have lasted long but what sort of ruler of the Saxons would Hardrada have been?

Hopefully I’m not boring you good people too much ...

Yes Tunn, that was quite a possibility- a half spilt England just as in 1016 between Edmund Ironside and Cnut? Hardrada has the Scandinavian North and Tostig, the South where he was more likely to be acceptable...at least for a while, and that would depend on whether he could have kept Gryth and Leofwine on side -assuming they’d survived Stamford Bridge, and Harold hadn’t...

One other thought is, whilst Harold was the best “ Strongman” for the job in Jan 1066, possibly the best long term result the Country could have had was Edgar Atheling; if Harold had put his power behind him, then at a stroke William’s “claim” would have been dashed to pieces, and highly unlikely to get the Popes backing, let alone the Norman nobility...
Of course let’s not forget the real enigma, or it could be argued the cause of the strife and so many deaths in 1066-1069: King Edward himself... why on the death of Edward the Exile in 1057, didn’t the King confirm Edgar as his preferred choice? Again, at a stroke checkmating Harold’s ambitions ( and possibly being the culmination of the King’s “revenge” against the the late Earl Godwin and the Godwinsons per se, for their part in the death of his brother Alfred)
If, and it’s a big “if”-Harold had had anything to do with the Exiles death, there was probably no way Harold could expect to get away it again by causing any harm to Edgar once he had been confirmed.
Also this would have made any supposed “ promise” ( not that there’s any evidence such as charters, gifts, proclamations etc) made by King Edward to William, supposedly in 1051-52 utterly null and void.

Of course even with Edgar as King in 1066, there would still be the Tostig “ problem” and Hardrada’s invasion would have likely still gone ahead- the Scandies paid scant attention to who was the rightful King of the particular country they’d set their minds on... so there’d be Gate Fulford, 20th Sept... but would there have been a Stamford Bridge, 5 days later?
Would King Edgar have had the nous and the sheer ‘nads’ to do what Harold did? Or would he have sent Harold as his chief Earl anyway, and the victory would have followed as per history? Would Edgar then be able to contain his jealousy of this success and manage Harold’s ambitions, or would Edgar have tried to reel him in somewhat, as King Edward had tried with Godwin?
Would that, at last, have led to the Civil war that had been potentially simmering since Tostig’s banishment?
Questions, questions!

Hopefully I’m not boring you good people too much ...

Yes Tunn, that was quite a possibility- a half spilt England just as in 1016 between Edmund Ironside and Cnut? Hardrada has the Scandinavian North and Tostig, the South where he was more likely to be acceptable...at least for a while, and that would depend on whether he could have kept Gryth and Leofwine on side -assuming they’d survived Stamford Bridge, and Harold hadn’t...

One other thought is, whilst Harold was the best “ Strongman” for the job in Jan 1066, possibly the best long term result the Country could have had was Edgar Atheling; if Harold had put his power behind him, then at a stroke William’s “claim” would have been dashed to pieces, and highly unlikely to get the Popes backing, let alone the Norman nobility...
Of course let’s not forget the real enigma, or it could be argued the cause of the strife and so many deaths in 1066-1069: King Edward himself... why on the death of Edward the Exile in 1057, didn’t the King confirm Edgar as his preferred choice? Again, at a stroke checkmating Harold’s ambitions ( and possibly being the culmination of the King’s “revenge” against the the late Earl Godwin and the Godwinsons per se, for their part in the death of his brother Alfred)
If, and it’s a big “if”-Harold had had anything to do with the Exiles death, there was probably no way Harold could expect to get away it again by causing any harm to Edgar once he had been confirmed.
Also this would have made any supposed “ promise” ( not that there’s any evidence such as charters, gifts, proclamations etc) made by King Edward to William, supposedly in 1051-52 utterly null and void.

Of course even with Edgar as King in 1066, there would still be the Tostig “ problem” and Hardrada’s invasion would have likely still gone ahead- the Scandies paid scant attention to who was the rightful King of the particular country they’d set their minds on... so there’d be Gate Fulford, 20th Sept... but would there have been a Stamford Bridge, 5 days later?
Would King Edgar have had the nous and the sheer ‘nads’ to do what Harold did? Or would he have sent Harold as his chief Earl anyway, and the victory would have followed as per history? Would Edgar then be able to contain his jealousy of this success and manage Harold’s ambitions, or would Edgar have tried to reel him in somewhat, as King Edward had tried with Godwin?
Would that, at last, have led to the Civil war that had been potentially simmering since Tostig’s banishment?
Questions, questions!

Keep it up. really interesting.

Oh yes, I’m a bit of a 1066 ‘ what if’ anorak - I do enjoy a bit of historical alternate history... I’d be very surprised if Gryth or Leofwine would have dared or even wanted to challenge for the throne- its almost impossible to guess or judge the personality of people nigh on a 1000 years ago, however, they had stayed totally loyal to Harold, through the crisis of 1065 and Tostig’s exile, until they died with the King in 1066.

Hastings, whilst not a battle with anywhere near the “majesty” military flair or scale of a Cannae or Marathon, imho was probably the most important battle in British history, and quite possibly one of the very most important in World history.

A victory for Harold and the entire direction of English society structure, its attitudes and outlook, political focus, religious direction, etc would be entirely and utterly different, and we would live in an entirely different World- most likely without the Empire ever existing at all...just imagine that!
If only Harold had waited another week before marching to confront the Bastard and his thieving supporters!
I live down the road from Fulford and at the spot where the Vikings are thought to have camped, by the Ouse. (Pretty sure there's some dead uns under my garden and I know skeletons have turned up, in the village and in the 19thC, packed in the river bank).

My "what if" has always been about what if Battle of Fulford had never happened?

I should also add my apologies, for extending the discussion to any who’ve been bored as well. :omr: I think counterfactual history is actually quite a Fortean topic making us realise what huge consequences a relatively minor issue can have.

What Tyler you are right the whole business of Edgar Atheling is a huge unknown. There doesn’t seem to be much known about his character or abilities. If he hadn’t manage to repel Hardrada would that have given William the excuse he needed to launch his invasion, thus “pinging” history back to something close to what we have today?

Alternatively if Hardrada had defeated Harold he would still have William to deal with. As you say he wouldn’t have been bothered about what the Pope, or anyone else had to say but he could still have lost. A different Harald being beaten by William in a different battle but again with a result close to what we have today.

If Hardrada had defeated them both then we would have been an essentially Danish Kingdom. I suspect that Tostig would have suffered an “accident” (falling backwards onto seven or eight swords or some such).

It almost seems as if fate was on William’s side. His “disaster” when his fleet was caught in a storm in early September on his first attempted crossing actually working in his favour, as if he had made it then Harold would have been waiting.

The whole business of a crossing in October is a piece of luck as well, most people would have ruled it out because of the weather, (just think of the problems the weather posed in 1944) but if William had delayed six months Harold would have been more prepared.

Edward should have nominated an heir to the assembled Witan, perhaps he didn’t because, well, “accidents” happen?

(Almost) Back to topic, it seems that William was deliberately “harrying” the south on his arrival, perhaps to provoke Harold – once he knew him to be the victor at Stamford Bridge- as Wessex was his old earldom, to get him to rush to its defence. A more cautious but perhaps less popular course of action would be to send one or both of his brothers to harass William while he collected his forces. (As What Tyler said, Gyrth offered) It seems William had gambolled everything and would have had trouble getting his forces back to Normandy in the event of defeat. That could have been a way of subverting the Breton allies if the campaign started to look doubtful (Give us William and Odo etc. and we’ll give the rest of you boats home)

I live down the road from Fulford and at the spot where the Vikings are thought to have camped, by the Ouse. (Pretty sure there's some dead uns under my garden and I know skeletons have turned up, in the village and in the 19thC, packed in the river bank).

My "what if" has always been about what if Battle of Fulford had never happened?
That would mean that Morcar either discreetly stayed out of the way or sided with Hardrada. Edwin presumably following suite. Hardrada would either have walked into York or taken it quite easily (AFAIK it's walls were in a pretty bad state hence the decision to fight at Fulford) Hardrada would have had a base at York and not been caught out as easily by Harold, leading to the latter's defeat - possibly.
What of Edwin and Morcar? Defect to Hardrada, probably not a good idea with Tostig about or wait and join Harold, boosting his numbers and even perhaps if he defeated Hardrada giving him a better chance at Hastings.
Or not...:thought:

There's a pretty good book by Charles Jones covering the events around, and the ramifications of the battle of Fulford

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Battle-1066-Fulford/dp/0752438107

Also fiction but a damn good read and imo a good guess at the events of the three battles of 1066 The last English King by Julian Rathbone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=the+last+english+king&i=stripbooks&crid=1MTG1RM7RHKA5&sprefix=the+last+english+king,stripbooks,70&ref=nb_sb_noss
Yes! The Last English King is a great book imho...read it numerous times, one of me faves- another good factual book is Frank McLynn- 1066:The year of the three battles- really good too..recommend

That would mean that Morcar either discreetly stayed out of the way or sided with Hardrada. Edwin presumably following suite. Hardrada would either have walked into York or taken it quite easily (AFAIK it's walls were in a pretty bad state hence the decision to fight at Fulford) Hardrada would have had a base at York and not been caught out as easily by Harold, leading to the latter's defeat - possibly.
What of Edwin and Morcar? Defect to Hardrada, probably not a good idea with Tostig about or wait and join Harold, boosting his numbers and even perhaps if he defeated Hardrada giving him a better chance at Hastings.
Or not...:thought:
Good points- but could Morcar have sat on his hands? After all the central tenet of Lordship and rule at that time was providing protection to your folk... and he’d only been in the job for about 15 months or so, so it was maybe a fait accompli that he had to take the field against Hardrada - and there’s the self interest too, Morcar wouldn’t want Tostig back in a real position of power, so again he had no choice but to fight...
It’s a shame/ question as to why Edwin and Morcar didn’t get to the South sooner, actually arriving a week later than Hastings and making a half arsed effort to then support Edgar...

I live not far from Stamford Bridge and the local history group was going to set up a project to find the 'true' site of the battle. There is an area of land called Battle Flats (now a housing estate) where it is traditionally thought the combat took place. However, no evidence has ever been found. I was involved in an archaeological dig on an adjacent piece of land where there was evidence of a roman villa but no battle. Not too far away is the village of Buttercrambe, which has an ancient hill fort close by the river Derwent and could possibly be an alternate site.
You'd think there'd be ghost activity on the site... every self-respecting battlefield seems to have some. If it's a housing estate today, we need the ghostly housecarl in the kitchen, or else the charge of the Norman cavalry up Ryedale Crescent, or something.

The other controversy is where was Hastings fought? There was some speculation a few years back that the accepted site was wrong and it was IIRC under a roundabout at the other end of Battle.
O.K no debris has ever been found at the accepted site but apparently the soil isn’t conducive to preservation, it was a long time ago and was doubtless looted. Also William supposedly built the Abbey on the site where Harold was killed and you’d think he’d know.

The other controversy is where was Hastings fought? There was some speculation a few years back that the accepted site was wrong and it was IIRC under a roundabout at the other end of Battle.
O.K no debris has ever been found at the accepted site but apparently the soil isn’t conducive to preservation, it was a long time ago and was doubtless looted. Also William supposedly built the Abbey on the site where Harold was killed and you’d think he’d know.
That’s right- there’s been little found at Battle Abbey site- I was down there a while ago and chatting to the local museum curator, supposedly there had been a find a good few years back of a warrior in full chain mail etc, but that was it really, also I guess that as the Tapestry shows the dead were being stripped it seems whilst the fight was still going on, a full suit of chain mail, plus decent sword is estimated to cost by modern standards around 50k ... so naturally would have been a great bit of scavenging/robbery, so even more unlikely to leave much behind.

Yep, William would be pretty sure where the fight happened; the hill where the Saxons drew up has been much altered and flattened to build the Abbey, so what we see today isn’t as steep as what faced the Normans in 1066...

You'd think there'd be ghost activity on the site... every self-respecting battlefield seems to have some. If it's a housing estate today, we need the ghostly housecarl in the kitchen, or else the charge of the Norman cavalry up Ryedale Crescent, or something.
Ooo wouldn’t that be something- I’d buy a house there,
I should also add my apologies, for extending the discussion to any who’ve been bored as well. :omr: I think counterfactual history is actually quite a Fortean topic making us realise what huge consequences a relatively minor issue can have.

What Tyler you are right the whole business of Edgar Atheling is a huge unknown. There doesn’t seem to be much known about his character or abilities. If he hadn’t manage to repel Hardrada would that have given William the excuse he needed to launch his invasion, thus “pinging” history back to something close to what we have today?

Alternatively if Hardrada had defeated Harold he would still have William to deal with. As you say he wouldn’t have been bothered about what the Pope, or anyone else had to say but he could still have lost. A different Harald being beaten by William in a different battle but again with a result close to what we have today.

If Hardrada had defeated them both then we would have been an essentially Danish Kingdom. I suspect that Tostig would have suffered an “accident” (falling backwards onto seven or eight swords or some such).

It almost seems as if fate was on William’s side. His “disaster” when his fleet was caught in a storm in early September on his first attempted crossing actually working in his favour, as if he had made it then Harold would have been waiting.

The whole business of a crossing in October is a piece of luck as well, most people would have ruled it out because of the weather, (just think of the problems the weather posed in 1944) but if William had delayed six months Harold would have been more prepared.

Edward should have nominated an heir to the assembled Witan, perhaps he didn’t

Edward should have nominated an heir to the assembled Witan, perhaps he didn’t because, well, “accidents” happen?

(Almost) Back to topic, it seems that William was deliberately “harrying” the south on his arrival, perhaps to provoke Harold – once he knew him to be the victor at Stamford Bridge- as Wessex was his old earldom, to get him to rush to its defence. A more cautious but perhaps less popular course of action would be to send one or both of his brothers to harass William while he collected his forces. (As What Tyler said, Gyrth offered) It seems William had gambolled everything and would have had trouble getting his forces back to Normandy in the event of defeat. That could have been a way of subverting the Breton allies if the campaign started to look doubtful (Give us William and Odo etc. and we’ll give the rest of you boats home)
Again really good points... regardless of how you view William ( smash and grab merchant, thief, mass murderer imho) he really did bet the farm on one do or die chance- and somehow had the sheer force of personality to gather the biggest army Normandy had ever (and would ever) gather, hold it together, keep it pretty much disease free, and again hold it together for 2 weeks in enemy territory, so kudos to him there...

He was also very “ lucky” - maybe he should be properly called the “Lucky Bastard” - while his fleet was bottled up by contrary winds, if Harold had had the vision or maybe the intel then a Saxon fleet could have swept down, and using fire ships (a la Drake) have caused so much damage that William would never have been able to recover.

Also William was separated from his fleet when it finally did sail- to the extent that his ship the Mora was totally alone for a whole day and night I understand - imagine IF a Saxon patrol had come upon him- game over pretty much I suggest- would the rest of the fleet have continued to England, without William, and even if it did land, would it then have pressed ahead with any sort of invasion? Would it have been seen to be Gods judgement on William that he had vanished, that his quest was ultimately, unjust and wrong?

My guess is they’d have to take the wind as was, a ships in Europe in those days could only pretty much sail before the wind and I don’t think the type of Norman ships shown or described seemed to have much provision for oars ( though I’m happy to be corrected) -the Normans would indulge in some signature “rape and pillage”, then sit tight behind a good palisade, and hope for the right winds to get them out of there before Harold rolled up- or maybe hoped to try to get Harold to buy them off?

Though, I don’t think Harold would have been in a “ buying” mood- that would be a revert to the bad old days of Ethelred, plus he would have been very confident and at the head of a battle hardened, victorious Saxon army, that had reversed, and reversed in emphatic style at Stamford Bridge, decades of defeats and humiliation at the hands of the Norsemen...and let’s not forget the potential for a Saxon fleet to come up Channel and shut the Normans in too.
Harold, could just lay siege to the Normans, starve them out with minimal risk - let’s face it, without their rather high maintenance horses, ( which would be likely the first to starve) the Normans as infantry, man for man certainly weren’t a match for the Housecarls let alone a Thane or even a decently armed confident Fyrdman...

And good readers- consider Edgar the Atheling- he led a very interesting and I have to say charmed life; not only not being “ done away” with by William straight after Hastings - why not? ( there were several guests to his court in Normandy in past years that checked in, but didn’t check out-Matilda was reputed to have extensive knowledge and abilities in the poisoning department)- and he, Edgar spent his long life flitting between rebellions for the English, dragging Scotland into his fight for succession, and being the catalyst for their defeat at the hands of William in 1072, then also fighting for various Norman factions against the other, and still, still it seems managing to it is alleged, live to a 100!
How on Earth did he manage that, when so many other rebels ( and civilians) paid the ultimate price?

Back