The Hatchet Job On Stan Friedman In FT 383

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
I find Brookesmith's column a must-read in every FT because it shows the absurdity of ufology these days. I also REALLY enjoy Ballester-Olmos because he has come to a logical conclusion after a thorough examination. They don't speak in terms of speculation, fantasy, or conspiracy.

If you think the government covered up anything this big for so long, you've obviously never worked for the government.

There is something (more than one something) to UFOs for sure, but decades of reports and study have not led anywhere near to a reasonable conclusion of physical piloted craft. Yet, the idea is just too ingrained to give up.

I'd also say that we should not sugar-coat people's lives because they just died. Their entire legacy deserves to be known. A magazine about Fortean ideas seems like an appropriate place to have such discussions. (I wouldn't do it at the funeral, that is.)

Carl Grove

Abominable Snowman
I find Brookesmith's column a must-read in every FT because it shows the absurdity of ufology these days. I also REALLY enjoy Ballester-Olmos because he has come to a logical conclusion after a thorough examination. They don't speak in terms of speculation, fantasy, or conspiracy.

If you think the government covered up anything this big for so long, you've obviously never worked for the government.

There is something (more than one something) to UFOs for sure, but decades of reports and study have not led anywhere near to a reasonable conclusion of physical piloted craft. Yet, the idea is just too ingrained to give up.

I'd also say that we should not sugar-coat people's lives because they just died. Their entire legacy deserves to be known. A magazine about Fortean ideas seems like an appropriate place to have such discussions. (I wouldn't do it at the funeral, that is.)
I agree that we shouldn't be inhibited from criticising someone's approach just because they died. On the other hand -- maybe not in this case -- it is often the case that critics will crop up and rubbish someone after they departed, because they didn't have the courage to put their views directly to the victim while he was alive. I don't accept Friedman's simplistic extraterrestrial notion either, but he was a good researcher who tried to be objective. His re-examination of the Hills' alleged abduction produced new facts that actually contradicted the ETH, for example.

I respect the incredible work that Ballester-Olmos has done over the years but he, too, is fixated on the ETH and point blank refuses to look at alternative hypotheses such as those of Vallee.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Given what we actually know about the origin of flying saucers (basically nothing) it seems foolish to insist everyone choose a "side" in some contrived question of ETH or something else. It is likely to be as valid a question as Are they from Venus or Mars? The ensuing "debate" produces much heat and pretty much zero light.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
I don't know about Brookesmith (never heard of him) But Jenny Randles is a member of this site, maybe you could ask for her opinion ?

INT21.
You have over 5,000 posts on here and presumably read the magazine, but have never heard of a guy who has a regular column in said mag?
Am I missing something here (as in, are you PB and I'm out of the loop)?

INT21

Antediluvian
You have over 5,000 posts on here and presumably read the magazine, but have never heard of a guy who has a regular column in said mag?
Am I missing something here (as in, are you PB and I'm out of the loop)?
Not missing anything.

But you are making and assumption. Not a good trait in this field.

You see, I have never read the magazine.

INT21.

Jayceedove

Devoted Cultist
Just been alerted to this thread. Happy to answer questions - though I should add that I declined to say anything bad about Stanton Friedman in the FT issue being referred to. It was not my choice to raise the matter as it is complicated and in some respects involves thing I cannot talk about publicly even 30 years later.

I made this clear to FT when asked and on the FT Facebook page chat at the time of his death that despite his actions I bore no ill will. And the last time we met (in Washington in 1999 at the MUFON conference - at what proved my last involvement in that side of things) we managed to get on quite respectfully. And I was pleased about that as I prefer not to hold grudges with anyone.

Jayceedove

Devoted Cultist
As for the other comments in this thread about my support of the psycho-social theory/or the link with epilepsy - I don't believe TLE is loosely involved in more than a few cases. Certainly not a dominant factor. And whilst I think there are multiple explanations for UFO events - not a one size fits all theory - I would actually love some kind of alien component to exist.

I took astronomy and geology at college and in other circumstances would have done astrophysics at Edinburgh University. I was accepted to do this but other complications in my life as a teenager got in the way of that.

So my interest in UFOs, like most who were at school in the 60s, was driven by the concept that as we were taking baby steps to the stars then others might well be heading in the opposite direction.

Whilst I have never been persuaded that this is what is happening I have never ruled it out as a possibility. Indeed I had many conversations on this in the 1980s with Allen Hynek in the last years of his life - in 1983 I had a road trip with him across America and house sat briefly for him and Mimi for a while in Evanston and our thoughts seemed quite similar in how our paths in UFO research had gone. He was at a point then long into his UFO investigation as I was recently. And I can see how he got where he had and why in eways I could not at that time when I was young.

Though I have by circumstance (as a full time carer for 15 years) not written any new books since 2004 I am writing now. And I hope to make up for lost time over the next few years.

I think the recent US revelations and video from the USS Nimitz incident in 2004 are very interesting. From what I have seen of the UK MoD data it is likely they took similar paths in what happened internally on data such as this versus what happened openly via the MoD Air Staff, which largely was there to deal with all the misperceptions that we all know comprise the vast majority of the UFO evidence.

I recall calling this a shop window to attract attention whilst the real work went on in a workshop at the back of the store and I think that more than ever today.

There always have been rare outlier cases and I have never assumed these do not hide a signal in the noise.