• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Hauntings Of Hull’s Shopping Centres

*snorts hopelessly* I spent years at uni in Hull. The only remotely scary thing about the shopping centres were the hideous fat blokes wandering around.

*snorts hopelessly* I spent years at uni in Hull. The only remotely scary thing about the shopping centres were the hideous fat blokes wandering around.

They're still there along with the spice zombies and mothers who pay more attention to their phones than their children.

Never been to Hull. An old acquaintance of mine was at university there and used to say simply that Hell + Dull = Hull.

On the other hand, I have a giant print of a painting of Hull Docks from the 1880s and it's achingly beautiful.

Can it really be so bad?

The song is the Dalesman's Litany. Here's a link to an article about it and two sets of words:

https://mainlynorfolk.info/steeleye.span/songs/thedalesmanslitany.html

It's hard when folks can't find the work where they've been bred and born
When I was young I always thought I'd bide 'midst roots and corn
But I've been forced to work in town so here's my litany
From Hull and Halifax and Hell, good Lord deliver me

When I was courting Mary Jane, the old squire he says to me
I've got no rooms for wedded folk, choose whether to go or to stay
I could not give up the girl I loved, so to town I was forced to flee

I've worked in Leeds and Huddersfied and I've earned some honest brass
In Bradford, Keighley, Rotherham I've kept my bairns and lass
I've travelled all three Ridings round and once I went to sea
From forges, mills and coaling boats, good Lord deliver me

I've walked at night through Sheffield lanes, 'twas just as being in hell
Where furnaces thrust out tongues of fire and roared like the wind on the fell
I've sammed up coals in Barnsley pits with muck up to my knee
From Barnsley, Sheffield, Rotherham, good Lord deliver me

I've seen fog creep across Leeds bridge as thick as the Bastille soup
I've lived where folks were stowed away like rabbits in a coop
I've seen snow float down Bradford Beck as black as ebony
From Hunslet, Holbeck, Wibsey Stack, good Lord deliver me

But now that all our children have gone, to the country we've come back
There's forty mile of heathery moor 'twixt us and the coalpits' stack
And as I sit by the fire at night, I laugh and shout with glee
From Hull and Halifax and Hell the good Lord delivered me

The song is the Dalesman's Litany. Here's a link to an article about it and two sets of words:

https://mainlynorfolk.info/steeleye.span/songs/thedalesmanslitany.html

It's hard when folks can't find the work where they've been bred and born
When I was young I always thought I'd bide 'midst roots and corn
But I've been forced to work in town so here's my litany

When I was courting Mary Jane, the old squire he says to me
I've got no rooms for wedded folk, choose whether to go or to stay
I could not give up the girl I loved, so to town I was forced to flee

I've worked in Leeds and Huddersfied and I've earned some honest brass
In Bradford, Keighley, Rotherham I've kept my bairns and lass
I've travelled all three Ridings round and once I went to sea
From forges, mills and coaling boats, good Lord deliver me

I've walked at night through Sheffield lanes, 'twas just as being in hell
Where furnaces thrust out tongues of fire and roared like the wind on the fell
I've sammed up coals in Barnsley pits with muck up to my knee
From Barnsley, Sheffield, Rotherham, good Lord deliver me

I've seen fog creep across Leeds bridge as thick as the Bastille soup
I've lived where folks were stowed away like rabbits in a coop
I've seen snow float down Bradford Beck as black as ebony
From Hunslet, Holbeck, Wibsey Stack, good Lord deliver me

But now that all our children have gone, to the country we've come back
There's forty mile of heathery moor 'twixt us and the coalpits' stack
And as I sit by the fire at night, I laugh and shout with glee
From Hull and Halifax and Hell the good Lord delivered me

Christy Moore's interpretation:

Recent polling.

SmartSelect_20180721-215923_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, Cambridge is the place.

Bath always ranks quite highly, but it isn't featured.
I personally like Durham, but that's also quite small.

Surprised they didn't mention Derby. It's so depressing that Bonnie Prince Charlie headed back to Scotland after reaching there in 1745.

Bath always ranks quite highly, but it isn't featured.
I personally like Durham, but that's also quite small.
Unfortunately my experience of Bath was the Countryside Alliance and really aggressive beggars, but I wouldn’t hold that against the place.

Unfortunately my experience of Bath was the Countryside Alliance and really aggressive beggars, but I wouldn’t hold that against the place.

Inevitably, I mis-read that as "...the Countryside Alliance and really aggressive badgers".

On a side note - I used to work for Paymaster servicing bandits and juke boxes for Bass Charrington pubs.
The highest takings of any fruit machine in the UK was in Hull - just over £250 in the cashbox which meant that around £1000 went through the slots in one week. This was in the early 80s.

Like any city Hull has its attractions as well as its more grittier side - it's not too bad, it just gets a bad press.

Recent polling...

Last week I read an article from a US news website that described Stoke as a 'quaint English city'. Despite the fact that at least on third of that description is demonstrably inaccurate it's always worth remembering that the look of the bricks and mortar are not the only thing you should judge a place on. Some time back a friend of mine moved to Stoke from the Home Counties for a two year contract. His partner cried with despair when they got there - but she made so many good friends, and enjoyed so much the easy access to some of the best countryside in the UK, that she also cried when they left.

And Sheffield - despite the fact that the cliche 'gritty' is a perfectly descriptive - seems to inspire great loyalty among (sometimes initially reluctant) incomers.

That said, if I was to find myself bumbling around the ether long after my heart had stopped beating I'd be mightily pissed off if my psychic remains were allocated to a shopping centre anywhere - never mind Hull.

On a side note - I used to work for Paymaster servicing bandits and juke boxes for Bass Charrington pubs.
The highest takings of any fruit machine in the UK was in Hull - just over £250 in the cashbox which meant that around £1000 went through the slots in one week. This was in the early 80s.

Like any city Hull has its attractions as well as its more grittier side - it's not too bad, it just gets a bad press.
Someone in Hull clearly has money to spend on such things.
Well, they had that money, anyway. Perhaps not now.

Last week I read an article from a US news website that described Stoke as a 'quaint English city'. Despite the fact that at least on third of that description is demonstrably inaccurate it's always worth remembering that the look of the bricks and mortar are not the only thing you should judge a place on. Some time back a friend of mine moved to Stoke from the Home Counties for a two year contract. His partner cried with despair when they got there - but she made so many good friends, and enjoyed so much the easy access to some of the best countryside in the UK, that she also cried when they left.

And Sheffield - despite the fact that the cliche 'gritty' is a perfectly descriptive - seems to inspire great loyalty among (sometimes initially reluctant) incomers.

That said, if I was to find myself bumbling around the ether long after my heart had stopped beating I'd be mightily pissed off if my psychic remains were allocated to a shopping centre anywhere - never mind Hull.
I went to Sheffield when I was a student, and I have fond memories.
My nephew studied there too - he loved it.

It's really sad that Stoke has become so run-down.
It could be a great place again.
I went there when I was a teenager and loved the potteries and the museums.

Cambridge is bloody awful. Expensive, and full of horrible, snotty people. I'm glad we're moving away.

Cambridge is bloody awful. Expensive, and full of horrible, snotty people. I'm glad we're moving away.
It is vastly overpriced, yes. I met a lot of horrible people when I had the misfortune to work for ARM.
For me, it's simply a catchment area for the work I do. I'd much rather move away to somewhere cheaper.
Had you thought about moving to St Neots? It's not completely bad there.

I've worked for three companies in Cambridge, and they were all bullies, which gave me very bad depression. Fortunately, we're now moving up north, which is far friendler - and the house prices are cheaper (50% or thereabouts). I agree about St Neots. Huntingdon is nice, but still expensive.

I've worked for three companies in Cambridge, and they were all bullies, which gave me very bad depression. Fortunately, we're now moving up north, which is far friendler - and the house prices are cheaper (50% or thereabouts). I agree about St Neots. Huntingdon is nice, but still expensive.
Yes, my short stay at ARM found them to be bullies. My own experience.
Sorry to hear that - hope you have better luck up there.

You can add Autonomy (who sent legal letters and even phoned the doctors up to confirm my diagnosis with depression), Aveva and Cambridge University Press.

You can add Autonomy (who sent legal letters and even phoned the doctors up to confirm my diagnosis with depression), Aveva and Cambridge University Press.
I had some 'off' experience with my interviews with Autonomy and Aveva - they made me form the opinion that I didn't want to work for them. Certainly didn't know that about CUP. I used to work in the same building (they rented out some rooms to other companies).

Back