• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Highest Number Of Ghosts Per Location

My initial thought is that there probably is a difference, and it concerns history and cues thereof.

Ghosts (in our western cultural context(s)) are usually described in terms of spirits left over from past lives. History is the summary narrative of all past lives. If remanent spirits exist, one might well expect them to be found wherever their past lives had occurred. There have been a lot more past lives in (e.g.) the UK than in the desert wastes of the Arabian Peninsula. That's the history angle in a nutshell. This angle presumes there are remanent spirits (or whatever they may be).

The cues angle concerns surviving items or environments that reflect or insinuate earlier human living (i.e., the settings for past lives). Ancient ruins, pathways, etc., serve as cues to recall the times during which past lives were lived, and such recollections easily turn to whether any of those past lives are still hanging around. This angle has more to do with the observer and influencing him / her to be more sensitive to remanent spirits in - or to more readily attribute remanent spirit status to - whatever they might experience in a given locale.
I'd agree but architecture and landscape has great significance. As was mentioned, some places feel haunted, newer places usually don't. Many sources on this: see Wiseman, French, etc.

There's been quite a bit of work done on how paranormal tourism (overlapping with history tourism or dark tourism) has grown into a big draw. Here is a table of the top 10 haunted cities in the US that I compiled using online reviews:
table cities.png

Each town has its own "flavor" and feel to structure the haunted tales.

Published as “Paranormal Tourism: Market Study of a Novel and Interactive Approach to Space Activation and Monetization” (with J. Houran, E.D. Haynes, & U. Bielski) Cornell Hospitality Quarterly March 2020.

Heritage tourism is getting very imaginative these days...or not.

Went to Lacock recently, was told the tourism concentrates on media and not the village/abbey/Fox-Talbot.

Place could do with an upgrade, IMHO...

Went to Lacock recently, was told the tourism concentrates on media and not the village/abbey/Fox-Talbot.

They could rebrand it, make it sound a bit more exotic, 'La Cock' maybe :p

Yeah, I've been there. It's been used for so many film and TV productions.

I was curious about the "Shanghai tunnels" in Portland, Oregon, on the list of haunted cities posted by Sharon Hill. I posted the link I found in the "People Who Vanish" thread. During the peak times of shanghaiing, a minimum of 1500 people a year just vanished!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's happened with Neil Arnold?

I know the name from his writing on Blue Bell Hill and ABCs in Kent--he's from Rochester, if I recall.
He is working on one last book about cryptozoology on film and tv then retiering from the field. He is working as an engraver and enjoying it. Happily married and still in Rochester.

Old wattle and daub buildings can be dismantled and rebuilt because they are based on a timber frame. Heritage museums do this when they collect buildings for posterity.

One such building, Churche's Mansion in Cheshire, was moved in this way at least once. It is reputedly full of ghosts and was visited by Most Haunted some years ago.
So did the ghosts move with the Mansion?
Churche's Mansion is mentioned by Tom Rolt in Narrow Boat . Tom Rolt knew Major Armstrong the poisoner when he was a child. And he wrote ghost stories, some really quite eerie.

No particular reason for mentioning that. Other than that sort of connection happens in my mind all the time.

Oh, a book I must read.

Ive recently explored the K&A, -By car I sadly must add,

its thanks to Rolt we have these things to enjoy today.

Back