• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What-Karl Marx

Simonsmith,
so you must be the resident wag? No, not K.Marx. He's buried in
the east side. The bogeyman is associated ith the west side. Any
sensible replies?

so you must be the resident wag

Indeed. Or not.

Another classic Bishop Manchester vs others thread can be found here http://www.knowhere.co.uk/board/kb3317/. Scroll down for the Rob Milne vs Mrs Manchester thread. Other threads at the same board cover the same subject. Lots of good reading. :)

Basically - the official vampire hunters will say that Rob has been much influenced by Farrant. Here we go again - calumny et al.

Basically - the official vampire hunters will say that Rob has been much influenced by Farrant. Here we go again - calumny et al.

Oh blimey :rolleyes:

:eek!!!!:

Not again! We've only just recovered from the last cafuffle -

Heather.

C'mon folks dont do this.

Contribute or shoosh your moosh!

I personaly love that graveyard and I was looking forward to reading other peoples take on this topic.

What have your investigations uncovered?

The knowhere guide is an insulting and degrading guide to the towns of Britain. It highlights those areas where you can find trouble such as neds hangouts and where to pick a fight.

It tells you where the junkies live and hang and where to get a pint and a poke of chips.

It does little to promote its chosen areas and actively seeks to degrade and condemn them.

There is no history or philosophising. There is no affection and there is no consideration for the people who live there.

It does little for the traveller and much for the dink.

I hate the knowhere guide and I recommend that it is avoided at all costs. It attracts the vigilanties who want to control the ned populations and it attracts the ned who want to hang with his own kind.

It is far from honest and is compiled by the neds and junkies for the neds and junkies.

Avoid it!

neds and junkies

...I dont want or intend to be drawn into any kerfuffles between messrs Manchester/smith/farrant/et al. Sorry to those who deem me a tad oversensitive, but I don't want to end up involved in the ugliness that pervades certain related threads on these boards, and, indeed, have no interest in them.

Its terribly difficult Rob M, lets speak of Highgate and leave the guff behind.

Have the trees and bushes in the west and north been cleared......I hope not. It was so atmospheric when the trees
are growing so densely that the graveyard has been classed as a woodland. I think it may even have SSSI status. (Site of Special Scientific Interest) The insect life is fascinating and plays host to perhaps six different species of Spider as well as a large variety of butterfly.

Some of the epitaths are intentionaly funny and clever witted.
The way that the stones are hudled together is amazing and the whole place is comprised of some of Londons higher echelons as well as a good few famous people.

When I last went I found the Inventor of Kinematography (Cinematography) and the First Master of the Masonic order of the Secret Monitor.

wildlife

and a very rare type of slug. You know your stuff st Clair.
Yes, let's leave the bitching to other threads.

When I was there you could not enter the other section that was across the road. It was fronted by large gates and it was clear that access was unavailable. There are certain people buried in there that I would like to visit but cant.

Is it open yet?

Do you believe that it is an actual vampire or a poor soul who suffers from the medical condition, vampirism?
Perhaps the point is.....its both.

Its just so I can see where you are coming from.

I believe in "no smoke without fire" so rest easy.

C'mon Rob:

Okay, as you say, you are not 'Rob Milne') :) But you must have come across him in your research. So your choice of moniker is surprising. Personally I always assumed that 'Rob Milne' of elsewhere and 'Veronica Lake' of this message board are the same person, or very close. Variations of the same names have been in circulation since this story first hit the web. Certainly the same style of writing and similar sources. Until now I thought that all those who have researched this story in public are well known.

Anyhow - with 10 years or more on this case, as you say, well surely then you will have much more infomation to give here than to learn. After 10 years of research you must have much to tell. Given your text we then could comment and add personal memories of the story. If you provide a text of your current information then it would be possible to comment and add useful information.

The only useful text I have seen re this case is Bishop Manchester's. Currently it is the only public text which can be examined.

I know much about highgate and other topics that I post on (I dont like to blow my own trumpet but I try to only contribute on matters that I can speak of with some expertise) but I will never presume to know so much that I dont have to ask other experts.

To work on ones own is to work in circles. Even if you are avoiding physical and verbal contact with people you still have to rely on the written word, designs, theories, art and other products from people other than yourself.

Posting on a board like this is an ideal way of asking for info from people that you otherwise would not be in contact with.

You can also get inspiration from other peoples view or someone might point out an aspect that has never crossed your mind before.

Its all perfectly simple really and can we please continue with the thread rather than talking about the thread.

I'm going to be visiting highgate cemetary soon, which should be interesting (sorry if you regard this post as pointless - i am interested)

I'm going to be visiting highgate cemetary soon, which should be interesting
Just make sure you're out of there, before the sun sets, young sir.

milne/lake

Simonsmith,
I've not got the foggiest idea about whatever conclusions
you are trying to piece together. Strange moniker to choose?
well, moniker or actual name, simonsmith is hardly lurking on
the borders of the obscure. Rob is a fairly common diminutive
of my forename, Robin. You will have to toss and turn in sweat-
stained sheets,frenzied by curiosity, as I will not divulge the accompanying surname.
Now to business, I am not going to provide the text of a work in
progress, but I will comment on the contents. Very little, Simon,
on the insignificant Sean Manchester/ David Farrant feud. Nothing
but a footnote on Manchester's pantomime catacomb cavortings.
The main focus of the text is concerned with early accounts by
local residents, many dating back to the early sixties, and predating
manchester's vampire by almost a decade, of an alleged haunting
in Highgate Cemetery and its environs. No tit-for-tat, no alliegances,
no interest in slander and bickering. I do welcome, however, any
personal testimonies, anecdotes, theories etc.

Miss de paul and the house of spook

I have heard vague rumours about a house at the bottom os
Swain's Lane which was once owned by Lynsey De Paul. She
apparently enjoyed the attentions of some malignant spook or
other while living there. Given that the house is a mere kick in the
rump away from Highgate Cemetery, and the alleged haunting
there, I feel there may be some connection. Any confirmation of
Ms de Paul's experiences would be of great interest. As would
comments by anyone who actually lived in the area around 1960-70.

You describe yourself as a "lecturer/freelance writer" in your profile, but remain coy about your identity which, in any case, might have already been revealed.

The questions you raise somehow ring hollow. A freelance writer would surely be better informed about both Highgate Cemetery and Lynsey de Paul's situation even if he was starting from scratch.

Where have you "lectured" exactly?

Are you rooting for his Identity, Exorciststate?

You reported me for as much and it was quite erronious.

What exactly is it, that you are suggesting?

Rob M:- Exorcistate reported me for doing pretty much the same.

I did not come straight out and inquire about his ID in the form of a question but it seemed like I was rooting and suggesting. In actual fact it was a mis-understanding on my part whereas this is fairly blatent.

Give him the same treatment if he is getting on your nerves.

Rooting?

Yes St Clair, it does rather seem as if Exo is rooting, if not indulgingin outright accusation. To address his points :-

(a) Who I am is MY business. Exo insists on anonymity,why should I be different. I could speculate about him and come up with an educated guess but I respect the rules of this mb.

(b) Have I said anything that implies that I am not familiar with Highgate Cemetery? I merely ask for supplementary material.

(c) Where do I lecture? I suppose I will dignify this intrusivequestion with a response. NONE of your business, Exo. This is as close to a dialogue with Exo as I wish to get, having seen the outrageous bickering on other threads.I asked a reasonable question in my first post.

This is the extent of my interest. If Exo wants to bully anyone, let it be someone else. Any further intimidation, and I sing to the moderators.

That's that.

P.s. Cheers, St Clair for your support and common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from having a so-called "dodgy" posting name and postign about a currently "hot" topic what have you done to arouse suspicion or critisicim?

A perfectly fair and nice question I thought, I dont see any reason for all of this....

"Currently hot topic"? Where have you been for the last three decades? The topic is as old and as dead as the Dodo. It has been exploited by so many latter-day authors, journalists and bandwagoneers that I have lost count. How can anyone come along thirty years or more after the event and claim to have a new angle on this now old piece of history?

I am certainly not rooting for anyone's identity. Someone else has already managed that without my help. What I am trying to understand is how a supposed freelance writer based in London wouldn't be in possession of the most basic facts, especially concerning Lynsey de Paul.

Why would someone who claims to be a "lecturer" be unwilling to say where he has actually lectured. This wouldn't identify him. It would merely lend credence to his statement.

Enough questions were levelled at Bishop Manchester, and long before I contributed to this MB, about where he was ordained, who episcopally consecrated him, and a few hundred similar questions. I answered these on the bishop's behalf.

What would have been said, I wonder, if each time I had responded "none of your business." The same people now supporting Rob M's reaction would have been severely critical if I had offered a similar response, I daresay.

I wouldn't have minded so much if Rob M had said what he had to say and did what he had to do without the snide and totally unnecessary comment about Bishop Manchester, ie that he will eventually be publishing "nothing but a footnote on Manchester's pantomime catacomb cavortings."

Is this not hypocritical in the light of Rob M's statement about "bickering" and "slander"? And hardly objective in its tone, I would have thought? All of which led me to suspect that this "freelance writer" has an agenda yet to unravel.

Exorcistate said:
"Currently hot topic"? Where have you been for the last three decades? The topic is as old and as dead as the Dodo. How can anyone come along thirty years or more after the event and claim to have a new angle on this now old piece of history?
The Dead sea scrolls were only found in 1947! They are obviously no use to an old piece of history then.
I am certainly not rooting for anyone's identity. ........unwilling to say where he has actually lectured. This wouldn't identify him.

Howzat exactly. Mr Rimmikins the Physical Education teacher has only ever worked at St Peters primary school. Tell me about this theory please.
The same people now supporting Rob M's reaction would have been severely critical if I had offered a similar response, I daresay.

You reported me!
All of which led me to suspect that this "freelance writer" has an agenda yet to unravel.

And?

*sigh*

Very well I shall clarify the statement to: "currenly hot topic on the FT message boards".

The guys posts a decent question and people are jumping all over him right from the beginning,Simonsmith in particular.

Where have I been for the last 3 decades? er....well.... I can only acount for 2.25 of them *shrugs* for obvious reasons :p

He's not even really interested in any "vampire" related information from the time of Highgate Vampire, he is looking for information on the hauntings before that all took place. Although why deride the story of the vampire when he is researching hauntings etc, lol.

He does not need to identify himself or give supplementary information in any way, why should he? He could claim to be the emperor of Mars for all the difference it would make on FT boards, unless he was asking people to believe something specific he says in which case he would indeed need to establish some kind of credibility. He does not need that credibility since he is asking for information, not giving it.

And I believe you, Exorcistate, were indeed severely critisised for not answering questions and ignoring them. Fair enough some of them were insulting and pointless.....

I have heard vague rumours about a house at the bottom os Swain's Lane which was once owned by Lynsey De Paul etc etc

I agree with Exorcistate --> in so much as ... if you've been researching this story for 10 years then you must have heard more than just "vague rumours" about this house.

My opinion is that it is impossible to investigate a story like this objectively. You immediately become one of the cast - and part of the story. You affect understanding and future tellings of the story. And your researches, the fact of your research, becomes part of that story too.

So if, as you say, you have been investigating this story for 10 years ... then that is, in itself, interesting.

I'm not interested in your private, home identity. Only in your public face and choice of user name here and elseswhere. You have nothing to moan to the prefects about. The fact is that if you have been researching this for 10 years then you will certainly have surfaced before.

For all you know, he is only 20 years of age.
He may have been investigating it for 10 years.
Since he was ten. Its not fair to presume that someones studies should be complete or gap-less in this time.

I do not think ten years is long and you do.

He may have been investigating it once a week for ten years and is therefore only partly through his quest.

He may be 90 years old and has lived most of his life without the knowledge of the subject that he is now interested in.

He may be 30 years old and works as a school teacher who would surely avoid, for the sake of the job, investigating it too thoroughly.

FOR ALL YOU KNOW!!!

You may be able to commit a whole ten years. He said he had been investigating it for ten years rather than claiming to have commited every minute to it.

What the hell is all this guff? Leave the guy alone and avoid me.

I hate bullying!!!

For those of you with the fortitude to read yet more about Bishop Manchester and vampires, this BBC live chat might prove interesting!

Have just read it rynner - interesting, but it still leaves a number of questions he could have been asked - e.g. as he states that there are deaths from vampire bites, (1) where are these recorded? (2) why is there no publicity when it happens?

Heather.

heather71 said:
Have just read it rynner - interesting, but it still leaves a number of questions he could have been asked - e.g. as he states that there are deaths from vampire bites, (1) where are these recorded? (2) why is there no publicity when it happens?

Heather.
As any Kolchak: The Night Crawler fan could tell you, there is a conspiracy by the authorities to stop the truth from being told! In case there's a panic, or the authorities end up looking stupid.

And as any Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan could tell you, ordinary folks are usually so traumatised by vampire, or demon incidents, that they quickly forget all about the real horrors and put it all down to mundane and boring `natural' causes!

From the Catholic Encyclopeadia

SINFULNESS OF SUPERSTITION IN GENERAL

Superstition of any description is a transgression of the First Commandment: "I am the Lord thy God,-- thou shalt not have strange gods before me. Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath . . . thou shalt not adore them nor serve them" (Exod., xx, 2-5). It is also against the positive law of the Church, which visits the worst kinds of superstitions with severe punishments, and against the natural law inasmuch as it runs counter to the dictates of reason in the matter of man's relations to God. Such objective sinfulness is inherent in all superstitious practices from idolatry down to the vainest of vain observances, of course in very different degrees of gravity. With regard to the subjective guilt attaching to them it must be borne in mind that no sin is mortal unless committed with full knowledge of its grievous wickedness and with full deliberation and consent. Of these essential factors the first is often wanting entirely, and the second is only imperfectly present. The numerous cases in which the event seemed to justify the superstitious practice, and the universality of such incongruous beliefs and performances, though they may not always induce inculpable ignorance, may possibly obscure the knowledge and weaken the will to a point incompatible with mortal sin. As a matter of fact, many superstitions of our own day have been acts of genuine piety at other times, and may be so still in the hearts of simple folk.

This bit is definately worth repeating LOL :D

As a matter of fact, many superstitions of our own day have been acts of genuine piety at other times, and may be so still in the hearts of simple folk.

The number and variety of superstitions appear from the following list of those most in vogue at different periods of history:

* astrology, the reading of the future and of man's destiny from the stars;
* aeromancy, divinations by means of the air and winds;
* amulets, things worn as a remedy or preservative against evils or mischief, such as diseases or witchcraft;
* chiromancy, or palmistry, divination by the lines of the hand;
* capnomancy, by the ascent or motion of smoke;
* catroptomancy, by mirrors;
* alomancy, by salt;
* cartomancy, by playing cards;
* anthropomancy, by inspection of human viscera;
* belomancy, by the shuffling of arrows (Ezechiel, xxi, 21);
* geomancy, by points, lines or figures traced on the ground;
* hydromancy, by water;
* idolatry, the worship of idols;
* Sabianism, the worship of the sun, moon, and stars;
* Zoolatry, Anthropolatry, and Fetishism, the worship of animals, man, and things without sense;
* Devil-worship;
* the worship of abstract notions personified, e.g. Victory, Peace, Fame, Concord, which had temples and a priesthood for the performance of their cult;
* necromancy, the evocation of the dead, as old as history and perpetuated in contemporary Spiritism;
* oneiromancy, the interpretation of dreams;
* philtres, potions, or charms intended to excite love;
* omens or prognostics of future events;
* witchcraft and magic in all their ramifications;
* lucky and unlucky days, numbers, persons, things, actions;
* the evil eye, spells, incantations, ordeals, etc.

It's always bothered me how Bp Manchester has reconciled the glaring contradictions between his faith and the supernatural services he provides.

I did ask Exo once, guite surprisingly he 'forgot' to answer. ;)

Back