• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

I have realised just how much the legend of the Highgate Vampire has become ignored since it first materialised in the '60s. Not many people know the real truth behind the mystery and confusion has arisen over this spectre, mostly due to the characters involved. However, a malevolent spirit did haunt the Cemetery, possibly of the psychic vampire variety, able to drain energy but certainly not puncture busty damsens and finally become executed by holy hand. What are your views on the legend ? It is interesting to note how 99% of writers have regurgitated false information of this classic haunting. Does anyone have opinions on psychic vampires ? anyone been attacked or drained by such an entity or experienced anything at HIghgate ?

I've certainly esperience at least one psychic vampire. This was a young woman who had (according to her, at least) had a terrible life and was always having bad things happen to her. Every time whe visited us, she had another awful tale to tell. Being nice folk, my husband & I listened and gave her lots of sympathy; each time, she would go away saying she felt marvelous, while we were left depressed and utterly drained of energy. Eventually, we decided this couldn't co ntinue. So one night we did a little ritual to keep her away from us.
And it worked! We never heard from her again after that night. But that wasn't all - a few weeks later we were in the local bus station, hurrying to our bus. Right in front of us, in the middle of the crowd, was this girl coming towards us. There was no way we could duck out of sight. She was looking straight at us - yet she walked right past the two of us without a glimmer of recognition.

Hmmm - maybe I should have posted this on the "Does Magick Work?" thread.

"Does Magick Work?"
It ceratinly does. I was given a spell recently as a gift and I'm well pleased with the result!

Yes, Escargot, you should know better than to dangle such a sentence tantalisingly before us!

Carole

Okey-dokey Peeps-

I was given a gift of a money spell. It came all wrapped up in green crinkly paper and everything I needed was in there, including a special stone to carry with my money later.

I had to light a candle and some incense and do a little chant and manipulate some coins which had to be given away afterwards.
This had to be done at a particular time of the day and week, and the expected result is an increase in 'good money karma'. So it doesn't make you rich, but keeps you solvent!

Since I did this I've had a nice healthy bank balance. In fact sums of money keep appearing in my account from nowhere! They are actually unexpected tax rebates and a couple of refunds which I'd been expecting grief over but have instead gone through with no trouble.

So you could say that the path of money toward me has been considerably eased, which has helped a lot.
No lottery wins, but that isn't the idea: 'little' magic like this can only tip the balance a little in an individual's favour.

I'm well pleased anyway!

Many people think they'd like to be rich, but money brings its own problems. Enough to live on with a little over will suit me just fine.

NEIL said:
It is interesting to note how 99% of writers have regurgitated false information of this classic haunting.
The only thing I recall about this case is Sean Manchester doing the rounds on the late night chat show circuit, where he basically got laughed out of the studio. Is the Highgate Vampire something that exists outside of Sean Manchester, or was it Sean who first brought it to people's attention? I also recall he got a photo of it as it was crumbling into dust - is there a web link to this picture anywhere?

The real vampire.

The Highgate spectre existed, certainly as a ghost or some form of vampyristic apparition but not in the , 'bite your neck and suck your blood' variety. The Highgate Vampire was seen on a number of occasions as a dark, tall, sinister mass but such a classic, or potentially classic haunting has become confused in the Abbot & Costello world of the general characters. Too many compendiums which relate to haunted London etc churn out such falsity. I did a lot of research on the case and believe that Highgate, like most places was genuinely haunted. It may have been a spirit raised by so-called satanists or generally just a wicked thing, but it was never a flesh and blood thing which supposedly crumbled before the camera. There is so much Highgate info on the web, but a lot is bias and wrong and petty.

Would it be unneccesarily obvious to say that I am not entirely convinced by that photo?

Not that I'm making snap judgements; I keep an open mind. Are there any other stories of contemporary vampirism with similar themes? I've never really heard another.

I'm not entirely convinced by that photo either. I have no explanation for the photo. And the only observation I have is "ick, I'm being cremated."

Why do I think that some of the bits in the pic look like modeling clay and/or paper mache? Me convinced! You have got to be joking!

luce

But how do you know what a vampire looks like as it crumbles into dust? It's not an everyday occurrence. For that matter, how do you know what a human body looks like as it crumbles into dust? (Not saying that I'm convinced that this picture is what they say it is, I'm just asking)

Ok now this is VERY VERY WEIRD! After taking a look at it again I saw something I can only describe as freaky! Of the 2 images of it decaying, the one with more decay (on the left) I have to say that I can see some resemblance to my dad!!!!!!!!! Told you it was freaky but round the area of it's mouth I see my dads mouth!!!

This is just plain weird.

luce

I remember about the early 1970's, one of the porters from Barnet Hospital was nicked one night, wandering round Highgate Cemetery with a hammer & stake!!!

He had the local woodentops (sorry! magistrates), falling off the bench & ROFL, as he explained that there was a vampire loose in the cemetery.

The weird stuff that comes into my head when I am ment to be

What are the chances that vampires are made up of some sort of energy (like chi or souls and such) only it is pure negative energy. They use the bodies of the dead to help them move about and to feed and become stronger. What if when a "vampire" is destroyed (staked and such) the body is only destoyed. What if the vampire itself can escape into the body of the person who destroyed it's last vessal and stay there a short time (possibly feeding off it's new victim) till it finds a more suitable host.

Whats are your opinions on this?

luce

On our way to Scotland on vacation we were in London a bit. I went to see the High Gate cemetery. It had of course just been closed for the day an hour before I got there. I got really pissed. At least we spend time at Loch Ness up in Scotland. But I do still wonder why I woke up with two puncture marks on my neck when sleeping in London. They looked like mosquito bites, but do they usually do it twice within a few centimeters... :D

I used to know David Farrant who investigated the case, has written lots of pamphlets about the vampire and is a bit of an eccentric still living nearby. He was sent to prison for something to do with the case. He swears there was something there and even though he comes across as a bit of a tramp and a bit weird, I do believe him. His eyes are scary though, very penetrating.

Highgate Photo

Just taken a look at the supposed photo of the vamp disintegrating, and like most of us, I'm taking it with a colossal pinch of salt. To me, the "decayed" shot on the left bears a suspicious resemblance to a still I've seen from Lucio Fulci's notorious "Zombie Flesh Eaters", albeit doctored a bit. The fact that one of Manchester's books showed a shot of an early Dick Smith horror makeup (from a TV adaptation of "The Picture of Dorian Gray, if I remember right) presented as a genuine vampire, should ring alarm bells, methinks...

Luce: Something of negative energy would be repulsed by Earth's positive-energy Gravity and hurled away into space...

Negative emotional 'energy' is something entirely different.

Niles ":):D:)" Calder

Well I did think of it when I was falling to sleep Niles. :D

luce

Reading the link earliere in this thread it really does read like a great work of fiction. Did Bish. Manchester really lead a delegation of a hundred people into cemetery before he broke into a vault and cleanse the contents? I would think that would be easy to authenticate. Even so, it conjured up the images of the villagers with torches and pitchforks in the first Frankenstein movie. The only thing that lends it any credence to me is that the Bish is precisely that, a bish - and a man of the cloth can't lie can he? Can he......?

Ha ha ha man of the cloth?....ha ha ha... not lie? Ha ha ha ha ha etc. etc....;)

Hey, I've just thought of something. If Luce's correct in her vampire theories, doesn't that mean that we should be going round Manchester's house now with the pointy sticks?

Lucy, you've been to see John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars haven't you!

Actually I haven't seen it!

And no Dan no-one should go round staking people. It's wrong! My point was that maybe it did enter his body for a short time, or Authurs (MOST LIKELY IS THAT I AM TOTALLY WRONG ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING) but left soon atfer.

luce

the real highgate vampire

Okay, now for the facts. I have spoken both to Manchester and Farrant and basically started a thread on the vampire to see what the public's perception was of this old but classic case. The photo of the decaying vampire is rubbish, the whole 'vampire staking, punctured victims etc' is rubbish but something did, and probably still does haunt that Northern Gate of the Western Cemetary. A lot of confusion has arisen about the events...I met Mr. Farrant last year, and a lot of what he was condemned for was ridiculous and has overshadowed a superbly atmospheric and true ghost story. Most information out at the moment about the case is bias, and once again, those who look into the case will only be met by regurgitations of many authors who have never fully investigated the event. Psychic vampires certainly exist, but not 'flesh and blood' neck biters, that is what winds me up about vampiroids. The romanticism is appealing indeed, but not many people seem to understand the true vampire which is far more terrifying than a guy in a cape with teeth in the wrong place!

Ok, this is a little weird. I had a couple of friends over from the states a couple of weeks ago. One day, when I was working, they said they were going to go and visit Highgate cemetary. Without thinking I said "watch out for the vampire" and they were interested in the story. I couldn;t remember the details but promised to dig out some info for them. Just this morning I sent them some links to the story.
Just thought it was weird that I have been lurking on this site for a few days, reading all the threads, and the day I remember to do that research for my friends I suddenly see this thread, which I hadn't noticed before :confused: :blah: :D

Hi all,
I have been investigating the alleged 'Highgate Vampire' for well
over a decade and have interviewed dozens of people, both heavily
involved and lurking on the periphery of the saga for a book that is
near to completion. The 'official' version of events begins around 1969,
but I have spoken to a Mr Bourne of Wales who claims to have witnessed
a spectral entity at the cemetery's North gate in 1965. Do any posters
here have any anecdotal information from the late 60's/early 70's relating
to Highgate Cemetery and its most infamous resident.

Back