• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Hindu Thread

Hey
I am invited to a Krishna's Birthday event on 24th August. Should I take a present?

I need to brush-up on my Hinduism*. It is such a diverse religion, though. I hardly know where to start!

No, they will not expect me to know much. I only hope not to be conspicuously awkward.

*In the day-job, 99% of multiculturalism is Muslim, needless to say. :rolleyes:
Hey, James - you still in Manchester? I'm brushing up on my Hinduism, too!

I'm brushing up on my Hinduism, too!

I am still in Manchester and today is the day. I need to clarify when we are expected to show up.

I have learned that a gift of milky sweets is deemed appropriate for the baby Krishna.

I will be doing a tutor-job for the hosting family and will meet them for the first time. They are having over 100 guests.

I am told that food is central to the joyous festival. All in favour of that! :dinner:

Edit 05.30 pm. I am back from the Krishna Janmashtami, which was very pleasant. The centre of the celebration is a little shrine to Krishna. We were to take a little drink in our hands - it tasted of ginger - followed by some sweet flakes, nuts and grapes, also eaten from the hands.

Then we could enjoy the hot dishes, served buffet-style in a pavillion. Needless to say, my pale blue shirt and light trousers were christened with turmeric and ghee, as I gratefully tucked in! The 140! guests were trickling in throughout the day, so it was not madly hectic. I took the opportunity to hand out a few business cards. Perfect weather for the birthday of the God. :)

Last edited:
I am still in Manchester and today is the day. I need to clarify when we are expected to show up.

I have learned that a gift of milky sweets is deemed appropriate for the baby Krishna.

I will be doing a tutor-job for the hosting family and will meet them for the first time. They are having over 100 guests.

I am told that food is central to the joyous festival. All in favour of that! :dinner:

Edit 05.30 pm. I am back from the Krishna Janmashtami, which was very pleasant. The centre of the celebration is a little shrine to Krishna. We were to take a little drink in our hands - it tasted of ginger - followed by some sweet flakes, nuts and grapes, also eaten from the hands.

Then we could enjoy the hot dishes, served buffet-style in a pavillion. Needless to say, my pale blue shirt and light trousers were christened with turmeric and ghee, as I gratefully tucked in! The 140! guests were trickling in throughout the day, so it was not madly hectic. I took the opportunity to hand out a few business cards. Perfect weather for the birthday of the God. :)

How wonderful that you're doing tutoring with this family - they sound great! :) If you want to add me on FaceBook I'm Felix Garnet.

Traditional Indian sweets are always good for any Hindu festival invitation, if you can't get hold of any then a basket of fresh fruits is always very acceptable.

I'm married to a Hindu from Nepal and I love the stories of baby Krishna getting into the ghee and sugar jars - the images are adorable :)

Krishna-eating-butter-poster-with-glitter-BJ32 l

Shrinet27 [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Is there an explanation for Krishna's skin colour? I have also seen a green-coloured Krishna (somewhere).

Is there an explanation for Krishna's skin colour? I have also seen a green-coloured Krishna (somewhere).

It generally denotes a 'godly' status - blue is also the colour of infinity on Earth (sky, ocean). His name Krishna has some Sanskrit meaning (IIRC) akin to dark or black, and his sometimes darker blue is sometimes used as a euphemism colour for black.

Several deities are pictured as dark blue/black , eg the 'health' or medicine Buddha; or this fellow below, Kal Bhairava who is also a dual purpose Hindu/Buddhist deity (Kathmandu 2018):

IMG_2952 (Copy).JPG

Often shown with green skin is the goddess Tara (Buddhism) but I've not yet seen a green Krishna myself. Generally green is associated with romantic love, marriage, playfulness and festivities. But sometimes it's just an artistic choice and nothing very significant.

My own favourite is Hanuman, the flying monkey devotee of Sri Ram, here he is in green form :)

hanuman_green.jpg

Appalling caste based savagery.

Two men in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh have been arrested for allegedly killing two Dalit (formerly untouchables) children who were defecating in the open, police say.

Roshni, 12, and Avinash, 10, were attacked on Wednesday while defecating near a village road, they said. The children's family told BBC Hindi that they have no toilet at home. Millions of poor Indians defecate in the open, which especially puts women and children at risk. Dalits are at the bottom of the Hindu caste system and despite laws to protect them, they still face widespread discrimination in India.

"The two children were beaten to death with sticks," police superintendent Rajesh Chandel told BBC Hindi's Shuraih Niazi. "We have registered a murder case against both the accused. They are being questioned."

Within hours of the attack early on Wednesday morning, police arrested two upper-caste men - Rameshwar Yadav and Hakim Yadav.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49835830

Appalling caste based savagery.

Two men in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh have been arrested for allegedly killing two Dalit (formerly untouchables) children who were defecating in the open, police say.

Roshni, 12, and Avinash, 10, were attacked on Wednesday while defecating near a village road, they said. The children's family told BBC Hindi that they have no toilet at home. Millions of poor Indians defecate in the open, which especially puts women and children at risk. Dalits are at the bottom of the Hindu caste system and despite laws to protect them, they still face widespread discrimination in India.

"The two children were beaten to death with sticks," police superintendent Rajesh Chandel told BBC Hindi's Shuraih Niazi. "We have registered a murder case against both the accused. They are being questioned."

Within hours of the attack early on Wednesday morning, police arrested two upper-caste men - Rameshwar Yadav and Hakim Yadav.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49835830
India needs a strong leader to bang heads together about this. Caste nonsense has to stop!

Caste is the same as race.

Effectively, yes. Because people of a caste are not permitted to marry outside their caste.

Kind of yes and no - this being about Hinduism which is about the widest-ranging religious practice globally.

The ancient Vedic and Sanskrit writing don't mention 'caste', castes have evolved as a kind of social-religious class system in the sub-continent.

Most castes have an occupational or regional subtext - and someone's surname (if they have one) usually tells one which caste they have heritage from*

But generally the Brahmin castes are associated with priestly duties and headsmanship; then the Rana/Chettri castes are warriors, royals and so on and so forth. But caste is not the same as economic class - there are some very poor Brahmins and very well off Dalits.

Minority Hindu ethnic groups are essentially casteless but not 'Dalit' either - for example Magar or Gurung populations in Nepal. The same is true for any converts to a Hindu-based dharma - many of these take the appelation of sannyasin [student-disciple].

The religious aspect comes in with some gotra-based [family tree] and regional beliefs about ritual purity - water/food/a person/a house can be made unclean by the contact or presence of someone from a different caste or religious group.

The caste system is evil, I would not dispute this, but the caste-based prejudice is breaking down, and not slowly. There are some very angry people around who fear their status is being eroded. I would make an analogy with some white, working-class rust-belt American men. They are angry because they are not necessarily 'on top' any more, by simple dint of their genetic heritage.

Inter-caste and inter-faith marriages do occur, and fairly regularly but it must be said these can and do cause shock, problems and violence outside of the more tolerant states and urban areas. Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat are particularly nasty about it.

In the Hindu side of my family I have several in-laws who married outside their Brahmin caste, into other groups and even other religions. It didn't go down well at the time but like families everywhere, people generally come around to the idea, especially when grandchildren are born. My husband's parents were mixed caste (his mum was Rana, his dad Brahmin) and they ran away to get married, his brother & sisters although having a Brahmin surname married 'down' a bit because that's where the money, land and marriage prospects were.

I'm technically an untouchable non-caste non-Hindu but being married to my husband essentially means I get a free ride in the Brahmin caste. He hates the whole system himself and thinks it's scandalous. He gives it about another 60-100 years before it kind of dies a death through modernity.

Caste isn't race. Although there are many Hindu racists, stemming from the political right of Hindu nationalism Hindutva, who essentially believe India is 'Hindustan' a country for ethnic Indian Hindus only and believe that anyone who isn't genetically Indian cannot be a 'true' Hindu. The way the caste system operates though, is analogous to ingrained racism in Europe and America.

Imagine bringing home a brown fiancé back home in the 1950s - it would have been very difficult! 70 years later it's much less so but such attitudes still persist. Then combine that kind of attitude with a religious/cultural snobbery and you have caste-based violence. The two children killed were as innocent as Emmet Till was, and that's the kind of background and stage India is at now - changing but still very dangerous. There will be people who will try to jusify it, as many did during the civil rights era.

*The reform movement of Hinduism, Sikhism, tackles this by all Sikhs having the same surname somewhere in their moniker - Singh [Lion] and claiming the turban (previously reserved for high-status people) as their own. Sikhism essentially removes caste as a factor in social interactions.

Rather nasty attitudes

India's uncomfortable relationship with periods is back in the headlines.

College students living in a hostel in the western Indian state of Gujarat have complained that they were made to strip and show their underwear to female teachers to prove that they were not menstruating. The 68 young women were pulled out of classrooms and taken to the toilet, where they were asked to individually remove their knickers for inspection.

The incident took place in the city of Bhuj on Tuesday. The young women are undergraduate students at Shree Sahajanand Girls Institute (SSGI), which is run by Swaminarayan sect, a wealthy and conservative Hindu religious group.They said a hostel official had complained to the college principal on Monday that some of the students were breaking rules menstruating women are supposed to follow.

According to these rules, women are barred from entering the temple and the kitchen and are not allowed to touch other students during their periods. At meal times, they have to sit away from others, they have to clean their own dishes, and in the classroom, they are expected to sit on the last bench.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-51504992

Science again being used for religious purposes.

More than 500 scientists have asked the Indian government to withdraw a call for research proposals on the “uniqueness” of indigenous cows and the curative properties of cow urine, dung, and milk, including potential cancer treatments. In an online letter, the researchers say the call is “unscientific” and a misdirection of public money at a time when research in India is already facing a financial crunch.

Cows are considered sacred in Hinduism, and some petitioners see the research program as another effort by the Indian government, run by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), to validate faith-based pseudoscience. The call does not appear to be shaped by “objective scientific inquiry,” but rather “aimed at confirming existing beliefs,” says Aniket Sule, a reader at the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education who helped draft the letter. “They should prove that there is some merit in pursuing this research before throwing money at it,” Sule says.

The call for proposals, issued 14 February, is part of a larger funding program of the Department of Science and Technology, the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa and Homoeopathy, and other government agencies. It invites projects on five research themes including: “cowpathy,” the use of cow products for medicine and health, including anticancer and diabetes drugs; the use of cow products for agriculture, such as in pesticides; cow-based products like shampoo, hair oil, and floor cleaners; and research on the nutritional value of cow milk. A major aim is the “scientific investigation of uniqueness of pure Indigenous Indian cows.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...scheme-study-benefits-cow-dung-urine-and-milk

A century after British sealed it, ASI to remove sand from Konark Sun Temple

Source: Hindustan Times
Date: 29 February, 2020

More than a century after the 13th century world heritage monument-- the Sun Temple in Konark was filled with sand, the Archaeological Survey of India now plans to remove the sand from the Jagamohan (assembly hall).

At the end of the two-day national conference on ‘Conservation of Sun Temple’ held in Konark on Saturday, union culture minister Prahlad Singh Patel said the sand will be removed from the structure. “Everyone has been waiting to see the sand removed from the structure and it should remain there for the next 500-700 years. I have asked ASI to prepare a report on the modalities of removal of sand,” said Patel.

The Central Building Research Institute at Roorkee that conducted a scientific study into the temple’s structural stability between 2013 and 2018 will assist ASI in the work.

The British had filled the Jagamohan with sand and sealed it in 1903 to ensure the stability of the monument. A hole was built on the top portion of the Jagamohan and sand was poured into it. However, those huge amounts of sand have caused cracks on the structure from inside.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-...-sun-temple/story-fx0qLZoSdlamN33icr5AzJ.html

It doesn't pay to steal idols!

A gang of thieves have returned more than a dozen idols they stole from an ancient Hindu temple in India, saying they had been haunted by nightmares since the crime, according to police.

Last week, the group stole 16 statues from a 300-year-old temple to Lord Balaji – an incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu – in Uttar Pradesh, police inspector Rajiv Singh told Agence France-Presse.

On Monday night, they left 14 of them near the house of the temple’s chief priest in Chitrakoot district, he said.

“They also left behind a confession letter which said they were returning the idols because they were having scary dreams,” Singh said. The note begged for forgiveness.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-scary-dreams-thieves-return-temple-treasures

Hinduism is a less of a religion and more of a recognition of one's individual spiritual path within the south Asian tradition - or dharma. Followers of particular strands can become very susceptible to gurus or 'godmen'.

The latest fallout from famous Indian godman Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh's conviction for rape after a 15 year(!) investigation has been deadly, with at least 30 killed as his supporters and saddhus from his ashram went on a rampage: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...ollowers-go-on-the-rampage/article9831232.ece

"At least 30 people were killed and 250 injured today in widespread violence, arson and police firing in Haryana triggered by the rape conviction of self-styled godman Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.

While 28 people were killed in Panchkula, the epicentre of the violence, two died in Sirsa, doctors said. Sirsa is the headquarters of Dera Sacha Sauda of which Ram Rahim, 50, is its chief.

Thousands of followers of Ram Rahim went on the rampage, setting fire to vehicles, buildings and railway stations soon after a special CBI court convicted him in a 2002 rape case"

Indian justice moves very slowly, especially when it is a famous (rich) Hindu godman. Sai Baba died before he could be fully investigated over claims of child sexual abuse and there are also accounts relating to Bhagwan Rajneesh (the orange/sunshine people).

Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh could now face further investigation into the unsolved murder of the journalist who uncovered the initial allegations in 2002: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-journalist/story-YCK36LOvM6wMcJgyFJMjJO.html

Another notorious godman (conman).

India is home to thousands of religious gurus, but a controversial new "godman" has been making headlines for the past fortnight.

Supporters of Dhirendra Krishna Shastri, popularly known as Bageshwar Dham Sarkar, claim that he has divine powers and that he can heal the sick, cure people possessed by ghosts and help people tide over business and financial problems.

The 26-year-old chief priest of the Bageshwar Dham temple, in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, dresses in colourful clothes, sports hats similar to those worn by 18th-Century Peshwa rulers of Maharashtra, and counts powerful government ministers and politicians among his followers. He has become a TV and social media sensation.

In recent weeks, India's Hindi-language news channels have devoted hundreds of hours to the guru and his professed powers. And his utterances on controversial topics such as religious conversions and inter-faith marriages are now being reported as "breaking news".

His social media following has risen rapidly to reach 7.5 million - with 3.4 million followers on Facebook, 3.9 million YouTube subscribers, 300,000 followers on Instagram and 72,000 on Twitter. Some of his most popular videos have been watched between three and 10 million times.

Mr Shastri burst into the national limelight in January, after a well-known rationalist questioned his claims that he had healing powers and could read people's minds.

Shyam Manav, who runs an anti-superstition movement through his organisation Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti, offered to pay 3m rupees ($36,500; £30,000) if Mr Shastri correctly read the minds of 10 people chosen by him.

The challenge was made when Mr Shastri was holding a camp in the city of Nagpur in Maharashtra - the state where Mr Manav is based.
When Mr Shastri left the city without taking the challenge, some said he'd run away. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64480726

We got some new books in the library that told me something I wasn't previously aware of. The African nation of Mauritius has the third largest population of Hindu practitioners in the world! As Wikipedia says:
Hinduism came to Mauritius when Indians were brought as indentured labour to colonial French and later in much larger numbers to British plantations in Mauritius and neighboring islands of the Indian Ocean.[1][2][3] The migrants came primarily from what are now the Indian states of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.[1]

Hinduism is the largest religion in Mauritius, with Hindus representing approximately 48.5% of the population in 2011.[4] Mauritius is the only country in Africa where Hinduism is the most practiced religion and percentage wise ranks third in the world after Nepal and India.
One of our new books is

Hinduism and Popular Cults in Mauritius by Suzanne Chazan-Gillig & Pavitranand Ramhota

This book presents an original and comprehensive reading of the contemporary Mauritian society where Hinduism is practised by more than half of the population. It discusses themes such as the genesis of the Mauritian multicultural society; religious and cultural transformations; the cult of kalimai; the building of social relations and the birth of associations; and the link between Mauritian Hinduism and sugar plantation economy to highlight the interactions of the religious with the political economy of the nation.
First of its kind, this book, with its rich ethnographic accounts, will be an essential read for scholars and researchers of religion, Hinduism, social anthropology, sociology, cultural studies, diaspora studies, sociology of religion and African studies.

The guru is brought down to earth, only two years ago a comedian was arrested for mocking him.

An Indian guru has been sentenced to life in prison for murdering a journalist who exposed sexual abuse of women at his sect.

Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, the 51-year-old Dera Sacha Sauda leader, is already serving a 20-year prison sentence for raping two female followers. Newspaper editor Ram Chander Chhatrapati was killed after revealing the cases at Dera's headquarters in the north-western city of Sirsa. Three other men were also sentenced.The self-styled holy man appeared at the court in Panchkula in Haryana state through a video link from his prison. Close aides Kuldeep Singh, Nirmal Singh and Krishan Lal were also given life sentences.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46909655

Rahim spends much of his time on parole.

Last week, a video of a controversial religious guru, who is serving long jail sentences for rape and murder, went viral in India.

It showed Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, leader of the Dera Sacha Sauda sect, out of prison on parole and cutting a cake with Honeypreet Insan, a young woman he calls his adopted daughter. The celebration was to mark her Instagram account reaching a million followers. A few days earlier, another video had gone viral that showed the guru cutting another, much larger cake with a sword. The videos made headlines in India, with critics asking why the authorities are allowing Singh "frequent parole".

Singh has been held at Sunaria jail in the northern state of Haryana since August 2017 when he was convicted of raping two female followers and sent to prison for 20 years. In 2019, he was sentenced to life for the murder of a journalist and in 2021, he received another life sentence for the 2002 murder of one of his employees.

But despite being convicted of such serious crimes, Singh has been out of prison for a total of 131 days in the past 13 months - he was granted a 21-day furlough in February 2022; parole in June for 30 days and again in October for 40 days. And on 21 January, he was let out for another 40 days. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64714491

Now his minions are turning up at UN events, representing his imaginary Country.

The UN has said it will ignore statements made by the representatives of a fugitive Indian guru's fictional country at two official events.

People representing United States of Kailasa had attended two UN committee meetings in Geneva in February. A UN official said their submissions were "irrelevant" and "tangential" to the issues being discussed.

Self-styled guru Nithyananda is wanted in India in several cases, including rape and sexual assault. Nithyananda, who claims he founded the United States of Kailasa (USK) in 2019, has denied the allegations against him.

USK's appearance at the UN events last week had made headlines in India. The Indian government hasn't publicly commented on the matter yet.

A UN official told the BBC in an email that "USK representatives attended two UN public meetings in Geneva in February".

The first was a discussion on the representation of women in decision-making systems, organised by the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) on 22 February. USK representatives also participated in a second discussion on sustainable development, hosted by the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR), on 24 February. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64807659

Now his minions are turning up at UN events, representing his imaginary Country.

The UN has said it will ignore statements made by the representatives of a fugitive Indian guru's fictional country at two official events.

People representing United States of Kailasa had attended two UN committee meetings in Geneva in February. A UN official said their submissions were "irrelevant" and "tangential" to the issues being discussed.

Self-styled guru Nithyananda is wanted in India in several cases, including rape and sexual assault. Nithyananda, who claims he founded the United States of Kailasa (USK) in 2019, has denied the allegations against him.

USK's appearance at the UN events last week had made headlines in India. The Indian government hasn't publicly commented on the matter yet.

A UN official told the BBC in an email that "USK representatives attended two UN public meetings in Geneva in February".

The first was a discussion on the representation of women in decision-making systems, organised by the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) on 22 February. USK representatives also participated in a second discussion on sustainable development, hosted by the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR), on 24 February. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64807659

More stories regarding Nithyananda.

Controversial Indian guru Nithyananda Swami is back in police custody, facing a possible public nuisance charge, after being briefly freed on bail.

The guru was arrested on Wednesday over two claims of assault, and spent a day being questioned by police before a court near Bangalore granted him bail. But his freedom was short-lived when it ordered his re-arrest hours later.

A video apparently showing him having sex shocked devotees in 2010 - he said it was fake. He denies all the charges.
India holy man quits after sex claim
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8594250.stm
Nithyananda is due to appear again in the court in Ramanagara, 35km (22 miles) from Bangalore, on Friday. Following Thursday's bail hearing he had emerged smiling from court and was taken to an undisclosed location by police because of concerns for his safety, reports Habib Beary, a journalist in Bangalore.

But in a dramatic twist, a magistrate later remanded the guru for another day in custody in connection with a separate case of causing public nuisance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-18443881

Indian holy man calls sex tape 'false campaign'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8555491.stm

Just as well they didn't name one of the lions after Muhammad.

An Indian court has ordered a zoo in West Bengal state to change the names of two lions after a hardline Hindu group complained it hurt their religious sentiments.

The lioness was named after Hindu deity Sita while the lion was called Akbar, after the 16th Century Mughal ruler. Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) challenged this, saying that naming the lioness after a goddess was blasphemous. It also objected to keeping the lions in the same wildlife park. The two big cats currently live in the North Bengal Wild Animals Park in Siliguri district.

On Thursday, the court said that animals should not be named after "Hindu gods, Muslim Prophets, [revered] Christian figures, Nobel laureates and freedom fighters".

"You could have named it Bijli [lightning] or something like that. But why give names such as Akbar and Sita?" Justice Saugata Bhattacharya asked.

The court also asked if it would be prudent to name pets, including dogs, after people. "You could've avoided a controversy," the judge said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-68378060

Back