• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The History Of Television Technology

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A very curious note on an Australian television pioneer has fallen into
my lap. A Dr. Guidrah of Victoria is
said to have broadcast pictures from Flemington races to Melbourne. "Forty
persons in a dark room saw reflected upon a large metallic disc the
racecourse of Flemington". It sounds like a form of camera obscura, except
we are told the inventor "has applied electricity in the transmission to
long distances of luminous rays". The date of the report? September 1883! So
far the Web has nothing to offer to illuminate this unsung hero. (Search
engines just reveal that the name Guidrah is used for a monster of the
Godzilla type.) Now the report was picked up by the Musical Times in London
who got it from the Musical Courier of New York. No Australian source is
cited, so this could be a case of Chinese whispers.

I know that newspapers make things up but the circumstantial details here
seem highly specific. Has anybody ever found any reference to this case, to
Doctor Guidrah, or can offer any ideas what this technology could have been?

Early Television

Found these links:

An Electric Telescope
Link is dead. See later post for the MIA content.

.... seems more like a prototype fax machine perhaps(?)

Le Telectroscope

.... again .. seems like the basis of a fax machine

Early Texts Re Television - 3rd Century BC to 1900
Link is dead. The MIA webpage presents a listing of references on vintage television technologies.
ANTHOLOGY OF EARLY TEXTS ON TELEVISION
From the 3rd Century B.C. to 1900

Scientific papers and press articles

The objective of this anthology is to provide a collection, as comprehensive as possible, of early texts on television. The following bibliography will lead you to the texts accessibles on this site or indicate texts lacking to my own collection. This bibliography is largely based on the two reference books of history of television : A. ABRAMSON, The History of Television, 1880 to 1941, McFarland, Jefferson, 1987 et celui de R.W. BURNS, Television - an international history of the formative years, Peregrinus, London, 1998. But it also includes texts not quoted by those authors. I am sure that there are still things to find. All contributions will be welcomed.

The MIA webpage can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010917022234/http://histv2.free.fr/anthology.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks, Simon. The third of those is a treasure-trove, probably
missed by the English bias of my search-engines. Have bookmarked
that for a good long binge.

Can't find any mention there of the elusive Doctor G. but it shows how
much was going on in this field at the time. :)

Extract from item found at:

http://www.well.com/user/jonl/deadmedia/NOTESS10.txt

"
One of the earliest proposals for a mechanical television
system was put forward by German researcher Paul Nipkow in
1883. When he developed patent No. 30,105, he was an
unknown twenty-three-year-old student living in Berlin. It
proved to be the basis for most early television schemes
in the world, although he never built the apparatus.

In Nipkow's patent, which he called an 'electric
telescope,' a disc was punched with holes in a spiral near
the outer edge. When the disc revolved, each hole
vertically scanned a line of the image, allowing
variations in light to reach a selenium cell. As one hole
swept over a segment of the picture, the next in sequence
tackled the portion next to it, until the complete subject
had been scanned.

The selenium cell transferred the light variations to
an electronic signal. Pictures were reconstituted at the
receiver by a similar disc which was synchronized with the
transmitter. "

NB1 - also
http://www.mztv.com/pioneers.html
for other pioneers of television
Also search Google for Nipkow

NB2 - also well worth visiting http://www.well.com/user/jonl/deadmedia/
for the rest of the "Dead Media Working" series

Thanks for those, Simon. I found the Dead Media site
a while back, all fascinating stuff.

The French based site you found a few days back is especially
good and provides ample evidence of how much the photo-
electric properties of Selenium were being explored. Yet they
all seem proposals for what became fax transmission.

The Guidrah acount tells of how forty people in a darkened room
were able to see "upon a large metallic disc the racecourse of
Flemington, with the thousands of persons who were there".

The report being quoted, from the Musical Courier of New York,
goes on to say the way was now open "to see the inside of the
theatre, the stage, the artists, and the audience".

Now this may well have been the over-excited response of a
reporter getting the news over the wire, because nothing
says that live moving pictures were being relayed. Yet that
does seem to be the implication or why choose a live event?

It is this demonstration of a working system which seems to
distinguish this from the ideas of Nipkov in the same year. There
must have been some more detailed account of the work but
so far the lack of any scientific detail makes it highly dubious
I admit.

I could not find the name of Doctor Guidrah anywhere in the
documents online. I do have a correspondent in Sydney who
might be able to do some bookworming. There is a fairly
extensive Australian based History of Telecommunications site
which relates the development of the continent to the telegraph
etc. I would have thought they would have picked up on Guidrah,
if he achieved anything real. Still, it's all very curious.

Your help is much appreciated. :)

A great use of one of the early Baird disc-recordings as your

F A S C I N A T I N G S T U F F

A main page for the Bruce Sterling inspired Dead Media Project is here . The link referenced above is, itself, dead.

This is a good page to start -- the current list of articles and notes.

The following posts have been moved here from the Fun With Fusion thread.

kiel said:
Erm... i was led to belive that it was john logi baird, who invented the television, granted he's not american so he may not appear in their educational system (snigger, snigger) but surely i haven't been lied to all these years?
Could they mean plasma tv? (is there a difference??)
..Craig built a neutron modulator (which slows down the emitted neutrons so they can be detected) out of a few hundred spare CDs...
Now we know what to do with all those AOL discs:D

Erm... i was led to belive that it was john logi baird, who invented the television, granted he's not american so he may not appear in their educational system (snigger, snigger) but surely i haven't been lied to all these years?

John Logi Baird used a mechanical system utilising a selenium photocell and spinning discs to transmit his pictures. He transmitted his first picture on 26th January 1926.

Philo Fansworth used a purely electronic system using an electron beam scanner of his own design, initially thought of when he was only 14. He transmitted his first electronic picture on September 7th 1927.

Philo's technology was later nicked by RCA and their tame boffin Vladimir Zworykin.

After much to-ing and fro-ing in the courts over royalties due to Farnsworth, (RCA were later quoted as saying "we don't pay royalties - we collect them"), RCA perfected their system and put it into direct competition with Baird's system in the UK, and worldwide.

Guess who won?

By the way - hello everyone - this is my first posting.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes or faux pas, I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.:D

starpilot said:
By the way - hello everyone - this is my first posting.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes or faux pas, I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.:D
Welcome to the board! (And I think your learning curve must start from a higher level than that of many others here!)

Must admit, I was never very impressed by Logie Baird's Heath Robinson contraption either.

I've just watched a really interesting BBC4 documentary about John Logi Baird, the Scotsman who invented televison.
JLB: The Man Who Saw The Future

In 1926, John Logie Baird became the first man in history to give a successful public demonstration of television. During the Second World War, with the help of one assistant, a part-time glassblower and a refugee from Germany, he built his masterpiece and swansong - the Telechrome. It was the foundation of all modern electronic colour television.

In a lifetime blighted with ill health, JLB, as he was known, produced 178 patents crucial to the technology that would define the 20th century. But since his early death in 1946, his achievements have been allowed to slip from view, obscured by ignorance about what he pioneered.

Few are aware that much of his greatest work was done in complete seclusion, in his personal laboratory and entirely at his own expense.

Filmed in the UK, USA and Germany between 1994 and 2002, and featuring previously unseen archive footage and historic eyewitness testimony led by his son Malcolm, this documentary reveals the unknown story of the central figure behind the most powerful technology on earth.
There's a side discussion on an earlier Thread: 'Having fun with fusion...' that mentions Philo Farnsworth the US claimant to the title, who actually (it turns out) worked closely with Baird in developing the spot scanning electronic system that got 'adopted' by RCA in the US and went on to become the system we know today.

Although most people think of Baird in connection with his early, clumsy, mechanical scanning and reproducing systems, as impractical, in a "Heath Robinson" (cartoonist of fanastical and unworkable machines), fashion, it would appear that Baird went on to develop and patent some very radical and advanced inventions indeed.

By 1945 John Logi Baird had developed a potential high definition TV system (600 to a possible 1800 scanning lines), in colour and using a system of stereoscopy that produced a three dimensional image, without the need for special glasses.

In 1943 he was advocating a colour, three dimensional, 1000 line, high defintion system to be accepted as a World wide standard for post war televison.

The documentary suggested that he and his tiny handful of technicians and assistants were well within sight of achieving such a goal.

In 1945 he demonstrated a colour system on a 28" TV in a cinema, that disappeared along with the highly sophisticated chromovision tube he had invented, shortly after his death due to ill health in 1946.

Baird's work on developing RADAR, and sequential colour scanning systems (as used on the moon landings) was also mentioned.

There have been rumours of Baird's wartime research breakthroughs, for years. This documentary asserted that many of the rumours were true.

Great stuff! :)

It amazes me that he did all this while suffering from undiagnosed hypothyroidism. When my thyroid packed in I was so out of it I collapsed during a Kung Fu class and got lost in a Safeway that I visit almost daily.

Just think how much more he might have achieved if it had been treated.

Cujo

He lived opposite us. Well, not comntemporaneously but....

Kath

Weird to think that he went to technical college with Lord Reith, the first Director General of the BBC.

Apparently, Reith was a thuggish bully to Baird then and was also antagonistic and stood in Baird's way, later, when Baird was trying to get the resources and support necessary to get television broadcast up and running.

What If?
You have to wonder what sort of World it might have been if the powerful and influential Reith and Baird had been friends.

Yes, we would all have to watch 6 hours a day compulsory then.

(says she who does not own one of the evil machines.)

There is an early - television thread at forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188 ... Some of the links have now died - but not this one: ANTHOLOGY OF EARLY TEXTS ON TELEVISION - From the 3rd Century B.C. to 1900

Link is obsolete. This thread has been merged into the new version of the cited one.

See also: Dead Media : Early / Mechanical Television Systems - which includes material from the now dead links.

One of the earliest proposals for a mechanical television system was put forward by German researcher Paul Nipkow in 1883. When he developed patent No. 30,105, he was an unknown twenty-three-year-old student living in Berlin. It proved to be the basis for most early television schemes in the world, although he never built the apparatus.

In Nipkow's patent, which he called an electric telescope, a disc was punched with holes in a spiral near the outer edge. When the disc revolved, each hole vertically scanned a line of the image, allowing variations in light to reach a selenium cell. As one hole swept over a segment of the picture, the next in sequence tackled the portion next to it, until the complete subject had been scanned. The selenium cell transferred the light variations to an electronic signal. Pictures were reconstituted at the receiver by a similar disc which was synchronized with the transmitter.

There is an early - television thread at forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188 ... Some of the links have now died - but not this one: ANTHOLOGY OF EARLY TEXTS ON TELEVISION - From the 3rd Century B.C. to 1900

Link is obsolete. This thread has been merged into the new version of the cited one.

See also: Dead Media : Early / Mechanical Television Systems - which includes material from the now dead links.

According to the 'JLB' documentary, it was Nipkow's idea for a mechanical scanning disk that Baird used to develop his first televisors.

An Electric Telescope

The cited webpage apparently died circa 2001 or 2002. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20011031045030/http://histv2.free.fr/redmond.htm

Here (below) are the contents of the MIA webpage (first entry) and two subsequent replies submitted to the same journal.

Denis D. REDMOND, "An electric telescope",
English Mechanic and World of Science, n. 724, 7 February 1879.

redmond1.JPG
redmond2.JPG

Frederik H. GLEW, "Electric Telescope", Letter,
English Mechanic and World of Science, n. 726, 21 February 1879.

glew.JPG

W. MORSHEAD, "Electric Telescope", Letter,
English Mechanic and World of Science, n°726, 21 February 1879.

morshead.JPG

Le Telectroscope

The cited webpage apparently died circa 2001. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20011031172233/http://histv2.free.fr/telectroscope3.htm

Here (below) is the content of the MIA webpage.

"A novel and curious instrument. The Telectroscope",
Scientific American, Vol. XL, n°10, New York, 8 March 1879.
Notice
Nous reproduisons cet article d'après la citation qui en est faite par Constantin Senlecq dans sa brochure Le télectroscope, Saint-Omer, 1881.
Senlecq signale également sa parution dans The Electrician, n°14, vol. XI, London, 1 February 1879 et dans d'autres journaux scientifiques anglais et américains.

A novel and curious instrument. The Telectroscope

- M. Senlecq of Ardres, has recently submitted to the examination of MM. du Moncel and Halley d'Arros a plan of an apparatus intended to reproduce telegraphically at a distance the images obtained in the camera obscura. - This apparatus will be based on the property posseded by selenium of offering a variable and very sensitive electrical resistance according to the different gradations of light. - The apparatus will consist of an ordinary camera containing at the focus an unpolished glass and any system of autographic telegraphic transmission ; the tracing point of the transmitter intended to traverse the surface of the unpolished glass whill [sic] be formed of a small piece of selenium hold by two springs acting as pincers, insulated and connected, one with a pile, the other with a line. - The point of selenium will form the circuit. - In gliding over the surface, more or less lightened up, of the unpolished glass, this point will communicate, in different degrees and with great sensitiveness, the vibrations of the light.

The receiver will also be a tracing point of blacklead or pencil for drawing very finely, connected with a very thin plate of soft iron, held almost as in the Bell Telephone, and vibrating before an electro-magnet, governed by the irregular current emitted in the line. This pencil, supporting a sheet of paper arranged so as to receive the impression of the image produced in the camera obscura, will translate the vibrations of the metallic plate by a more or less pronounced pressure on that sheet of paper.

Should the selenium tracing-poing run over a light surface the current will increase in intensity, the electro-magnet of the receiver will attract to it with greater force the vibrating plate, and the pencil will exert less pressure on the paper.

The line thus formed will be scarcely, if at all visible ; the contrary will be the case if the surface be obscure, for the resistance of the current increasing, the attraction of the magnet will diminish, and the pencil, pressing more on the paper, will leave upon in a darker line. - M. Senlecq thinks he will succeed in simplifying this apparatus by suppressing the electro-magnet and collecting directly on the paper by means of a particular composition the different gradations of tints proportional to the intensity of the electric current.

A very curious note on an Australian television pioneer has fallen into my lap. A Dr. Guidrah of Victoria is said to have broadcast pictures from Flemington races to Melbourne. "Forty persons in a dark room saw reflected upon a large metallic disc the racecourse of Flemington". It sounds like a form of camera obscura, except we are told the inventor "has applied electricity in the transmission to long distances of luminous rays". The date of the report? September 1883! So far the Web has nothing to offer to illuminate this unsung hero. ...

... Has anybody ever found any reference to this case, to Doctor Guidrah, or can offer any ideas what this technology could have been?

Dr. Guidrah's demonstration was reported in the technical journal The Electrician. The journal's report chides Guidrah for apparently being unaware of similar / parallel developments occurring even earlier.

SOURCE: The Electrician, Vol. 10 (1882 - 1883), p. 460.

Guidrah-A.jpg

It is getting on for ten years since I offered FT the full story of this affair. It was ignored. It is not, essentially, a tale of technology. It begins with a hoax but the innocent man who spread it around the world met a tragic fate.

"The Visions of Hannibal Gilbert" occupied me for a long time, when reason suggested I should be doing more profitable things.

It may be worth unleashing it now, though it may not be quite the story expected.

This is one version of the abstract I prepared:

"The story of Doctor Guidrah's Electroscope is rich in colourful characters and events. It begins with an enticing account of high-definition 3D Television and potential two-way visual telephony as demonstrated in Melbourne in 1882! That turns out to be a mirage but we set off on the trail of Guidrah and the cleric who sent this prophetic vision around the world, almost by accident. The cryptic name of Guidrah leads us to a miser and millionaire whose antics included church-vandalism and ploughing up football fields. He dies happily enough in the arms of his young second wife, whose own spectacularly horrible death was read as a stern lesson in social climbing. There ends the blackly comedic first half of our lantern-show.

"Most of the tale concerns the rise and fall of an ambitious, New Zealand cleric, his Masonic architect-partner and subsequent death in Wellington harbour. Between them, they built a most unusual church in an unlikely spot. Who were their friends and enemies? We see why it was in no one's interests to investigate responsibility for his sad death, which was hidden in plain sight. After we have seen their visionary project crumble in the Christchurch earthquake of 2011, the end seems desolate. However, the last section is a vindication of Hannibal Gilbert's original vision, when a surprising find in a Parisian archive enables us to witness the very miracle promised in the opening paragraph. It is the best and most appropriate twist-ending this story could have.

"Briskly told and drawn from hundreds of old newspaper clippings, The Visions of Hannibal Gilbert is a story that has never before seen the light of day. It has enough dramatic incidents to fill a novel but it is all entirely true. The author has woven together the known facts, deftly painting in the background of scientific, religious, financial and social upheaval that lay behind the supposedly staid world of Victorian life in the colonies."

I think, at this distance, I can bear to part with the whole thing gratis.

I may take a day or two to check for developments online but, I am happy to upload it on this thread. :curt:

Here, to be going on with, is the opening:

1: Madame Blavatsky on TV

"If the invention, and its experiment are no fiction - and we do not see why they should be then science is, indeed, on the verge of a partial discovery of adept powers . . . " [The Theosophist, June, 1893]

For Madame Blavatsky, to hear reports of time and space annihilated by electricity was a vindication of spiritualism; seers had been doing the same thing for centuries without the aid of technology. "Vibrations of light," were very much on Madame Blavatsky's wavelength, so when she hailed the invention of television in 1883, she might be thought to be indulging her weakness for science fantasy. All too often, her accounts of experiments turned out to be wishful-thinking, attributed to her mysterious Ascended Masters. The latest exciting report, which promised a stereoscopic, high-definition experience and a two-way system, a sort of Victorian Skype, was, however, not a communication from Hoot Koomi and his ilk but drawn from a paragraph which had appeared around the world in mainstream papers. Here is The Times, 24th March, 1883:

". . . it was now proved to be possible to convey, by means of electricity, vibrations of light - not only to speak with your distant friend, but actually to see him . . . a trial of this wonderful instrument had taken place at Melbourne, in the presence of some 40 scientific and public men, and . . . it had been a great success. Sitting in a dark room, they saw projected on a large disc of white burnished metal the race course at Flemington, with its myriad of active beings. Minute details stood out with perfect fidelity to the original, and as they looked at the wonderful picture through binocular glasses, it was difficult to imagine that they were not actually on the course itself . . . "

The earliest appearance of the tale I can trace is in The Press, New Zealand, of Thursday, 30th November, 1882. The lecture had been given by the Rev. Hannibal John Congdon Gilbert in his own parish of Phillipstown, near Christchurch, on Tuesday, 28th November 1882 and the demonstration by Doctor Guidrah had taken place in Melbourne exactly four weeks earlier.

Last edited:
Dr. Guidrah's demonstration was reported in the technical journal The Electrician.

All these reports bear witness to the power of the existing technology: cable telegraphy. They use, more or less, the same words to describe the Melbourne demonstration. Most of these reports mention that the source was the Rev. John Congdon Gilbert, who was not present at the demonstration.

As a High Church believer in Signs and Wonders, he spread the word about this amazing new invention.

We know, from that famous Punch cartoon, that the world was waiting for the sunrise on these technologies; this one was a false dawn, alas. :(

Last edited:
[continued from post 20 above]

Unfortunately, Madame's worst fears - that the story was a 'sale' or fiction - would have been confirmed in the following story, if she had been able to read it, but it appeared in the Queensland Figaro that autumn and was not widely taken up:

Now, all this fine yarn is founded on a romantic joke perpetrated some years back by the Melbourne Daily Telegraph, which gave a comic account of a pretended scientific experiment such as that alleged by the wonder-spreading divine. The D. T. made believe that it had a sort of observatory tower fixed in the office roof, and that in the dome of this was a disc which reflected the Flemington Course.

The account was very ingenious and marvellously comical, but no one in Melbourne was taken in by it. There is no Dr Guidrah in Victoria. The name should be Gnidrah, which the intelligent reader will at once perceive is a transposition of Harding. Everybody who knows the D. T. office in Melbourne, and the Flemington racecourse would understand at once that the supposed tower would have needed to be a perfect Tower of Babel in height. [Queensland Figaro, Saturday, 8th September, 1883]

The original hoax story is elusive but there are a few references to it in other debunking stories which make the connection to reports of Senleqc's Telectroscope of 1877, which used a selenium detector and a clockwork motor to scan documents. But if Ghidrah was Gnidrah and Gnidrah was really Harding, who, then, was the Rev. Gilbert? Just a pious invention to add credibility to the tall story - isn't Gilbert a transposition of Bilge? I decided to see if I could track down these dubious characters. What emerged from the darkness was a stereoscopic vision of Australia and New Zealand in the late nineteenth century. It uncovered a sad tale of triumph and despair but, just when the vision was clouding, I was astonished to find myself gazing at the visions which were promised at the start . . . [to be continued . . . ]

Footnote, 2020, from A French site, translated.

"The electroscope hoax launched on March 30, 1877 by the New York Sun had met with some success in New Zealand, circulating for over a year. It was first reproduced on August 14, 1877 by the Wanganui Herald and then found in the Wairarapa Standard (August 28, 1877), the Westport Times (September 4, 1877), the Nelson Evening Mail ( September 10, 1877), the Manawatu Times ( September 29, 1877), the Timaru Herald (September 28, 1878), the Press ( October 2, 1878), and finally in the T aranaki Herald (October 8, 1878).

"In addition to this, you need to know more about it.

"The electroscope made a comeback in the New Zealand press on November 30, 1882, as a new version of the Dr. Gnidrah hoax launched by The Melbourne Herald on October 31 . . ."

This prior circulation of the earlier New York hoax in New Zealand is interesting. It may have prepared the ground for Gilbert's lecture. We may feel that it should have limited its impact, yet it was Gilbert's naïve belief in the supposed demonstration at Melbourne, which carried his account around the globe, at a time when his status as a man-of-the-cloth carried some weight. There is no reason to suppose that he believed he was disseminating a hoax. Such was the appetite for curious clippings that these cabled titbits of news from abroad seem to have been subject to little scrutiny, even when they aroused curiosity. His caught on and was very widely echoed.

This was also, surely, the Golden Age of Charles Fort's own industrial-scale clipping project! :thought:

Last edited:
Back