• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Ok I don't want this thread to derail into sniping about Americans and British . . . but as for Ford Prefect, I think it should be kept in mind that Americans can, and do, live in England without adopting an accent.

Look at Ruby Wax.

I don't think its that off the wall.

-Fitz

The Yithian said:
Also, the involvement of American money (with the concomitant nationality-changes of major characters) often make the emphasis of book adaptations:
THIS

as opposed to

THIS

:(

Whoooo hold on a mo, the Zaphod toy only has one head, please don't tell me they did away with the two heads? (although it did win a prize as worst prosthetic device in history in the TV series.)

Fitz said:
Ok I don't want this thread to derail into sniping about Americans and British . . . but as for Ford Prefect, I think it should be kept in mind that Americans can, and do, live in England without adopting an accent.

Look at Ruby Wax.

I don't think its that off the wall.

-Fitz

But he's from Guildford! (via Betelgeuse)

And contary to your offer I'd rather not look at Ruby Wax.

Heckler said:
The Yithian said:
Also, the involvement of American money (with the concomitant nationality-changes of major characters) often make the emphasis of book adaptations:
THIS

as opposed to

THIS

Whoooo hold on a mo, the Zaphod toy only has one head, please don't tell me they did away with the two heads? (although it did win a prize as worst prosthetic device in history in the TV series.)

Watch the trailler - posted by me on previous page - it's err... relocated.

The Yithian said:
Heckler said:
The Yithian said:
THIS

as opposed to

THIS

Watch the trailler - posted by me on previous page - it's err... relocated.

as has the trailer by the looks of things to HERE

I'm not saying it isn't going to be good. But I liked the rather tacky BBC-Englishness of the original TV series.

Come on, Zaphod's second head was laughably bad, even for the early 80's . . .

-Fitz

Ok, to exoricise my former negativity, i think casting Steven Fry as the voice of the guide and Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin are both wise choices.

Strangely the IMDB entry has this at the bottom:

Recommendations:

If you like this title, we also recommend...

The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) (TV)

Cast & Crew lineup here:

http://www.h2g2movie.com/pages/whoswho.html

(Bill Bailey as the voice of the whale... :D)

Fitz said:
Come on, Zaphod's second head was laughably bad, even for the early 80's . . .

-Fitz

No argument here, it must of cost all of a fiver.

£4.28 to be precise. And that includes the cup of coffee they had mid-morning.

Seriously, I really liked the tacky effects. For some reason, I feel that Mr Adams imagined that the galaxies aliens would be made of painted styrofoam and the ships to be old yoghurt pots. It just seems to fit in.

Nice trailer. I don't really like the way they seem to be developing the Trillian/Arthur relationship.

Still, I guess I'll end up seeing it anyway.

I've got a copy of it: Don't Start!

It is fiendishly difficult.

ive watched the hhgttg ads on telly

and :wtf: was hollywood thinking of?????

they have changed everything except the title soundtrack

i reckon that d. adams estate should demand that the film be remade as envisioned by the books, or disassociate/distance themselves well away (like the next star system) from the travesty

now will "the kikkrit wars" (as mentioned in the 3rd book*) be changed to "the baseball wars" or to "the young nubile female (wearing very skimpy clothing) volleyball wars"(tm) :roll:

i can really see this film :roll: going straight to dvd less than 6 mths** after it hits the flicks

*if and when they get round to filming it
** im being generous

melf said:

What are they, just traillers? I thought it looked rather good from the internet traillers - you've got me worried Melf.

What precisely has got your goat?

The Yithian said:
melf said:

What are they, just traillers? I thought it looked rather good from the internet traillers - you've got me worried Melf.

What precisely has got your goat?

a ravenous bug-blatter beast from trall!!!!! :shock: :D

ok example:- beeblebrox is spose to have two heads side by side, and 3 arms

in the tv ad/trailer. he has 2 arms (afaic tell) and the 2nd of his head appears from under his 1st head

melf said:
i can really see this film :roll: going straight to dvd less than 6 mths** after it hits the flicks

Actually Melf, I've noticed that, here in the US, the trend lately that "popular" movies are out on DVD in what seems like two-three months after their initial release. While they're still in the crufty $1 a seat theater. I figured Hollywood was trying to milk every last $$$ off the flavor of the month before it cooled off / showed up on kazaa.

I think that this will definitely be worth seeing, and that (for once) the radical reinterpretations of stuff look fine. It will just be a different version, like (different from) all the different different versions.

Adams did have quite a lot of say in it, didn't he? I know he did a heck of a lot of work on the film, although I don't know how much of it they were obliged to keep. Personally I'd welcome a little change, re-reading the books/listening to the radio play makes it all seem terribly dated in places, lodged firmly in the 80s. I definitely think it could do with freshening up, especially if Adam's contribution was stuck to.

And as for Beeblebrox's head, they probably watched the TV version and just did the opposite of whatever they did! Even with decent CGI now, I can't see them managing a totally convincing second head. Probably one of those things which works out fine in books/on audio, but might not be so practical on screen.

To be perfectly honest, I have high doubts that the person who wrote that first review has even seen the movie. He mentions no parts in particular, which leads me to the belief that whoever this is just wanted to crap on it before it even came out, so that if it is terrible he (or she) could point people to his site where he was saying it before the movie even came out.

The internet is full of crap like that.

-Fitz

Fitz said:
He mentions no parts in particular
Not in the short review, no. On that same page, however, is a link to a longer review. It is very long indeed and also contains many spoilers. But if it's details you be wanting, details you shall have in abundance.

No, I don't particularly want details . . . I didn't realize that there was another review . . .

Isn't it both beautiful and strange how two different people can have such radically different views on a single work? One thinks all the jokes were cut out or changed, the other says all the jokes are exactly as they are in the book, to the point that you may only smile if you know the book well because the jokes will be old.

Can they have seen the same movie? Does anyone really live in the 'same' world as anyone else?

-Fitz

Fitz said:
Does anyone really live in the 'same' world as anyone else?
I'm pretty sure the answer is NO.

(In my world, at least! :D )

JamesM said:
There are a couple of reviews here and here. Don't think there are spoilers in either.

Damn, knowing me, I'm bound to get hung-up on the same things as the pedant and not Empire:(

List of omissions here:
http://planetmagrathea.com/notinthefilm.html

If the deduction from the Babel fish's existence to God's non-existence is cut for God-fearing Americans, then I'll vomit. I think we're old enough to accept that Adams was a non-Christian.

Back