• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Humber Stone

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
I have lived in Leicestershire for almost 20 years but only recently became aware of the Humber Stone - and went and visited it as a result. There is some debate about what it is, but most agree that it was deposited during the ice age. There is also a myth that it is cursed, and its history makes for interesting reading. This can be found here.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, LQ. I'd not heard of the Humberstone before. I like to look things up on the map, but Bing Maps wouldn't find Humberstone in Leicester - it did find one in Chile, though! I eventually found the right one by zooming into the Leicester map.

Usually the OS maps show big old stones like this, but it doesn't seem to in the case of the Humberstone. (I found Sandhills Av. OK, but no indication of the location of the stone.)

Interesting subject Loquaciousness! its fairly local to me too (waves from Glenfield:bananas:) I have come across it in a few local history books but not really paid much attention before(all about the ghosts me!!) I might have a trip over there myself.

I was at school with Nigel and Klive Humberstone... :cool:

Great topic! there is one I used to visit in the Lake District, starts with B and I CANNOT remember it's name to link to it :(

Some Erratics of Liverpool are Illustrated Here.

In the least adventurous of Geography Field Trips, we were taken to goggle at the Coronation Park stone. I had forgotten that the stone had been gifted and relocated there, so it cannot be said to have marked a sacred spot!
As stones go, it seems to have gone far, if it is indeed a glacial erratic from the Lake District. The disappointment for us ungrateful kids was that the park is situated right next door to the school! No need for even a packed lunch! :cry:

Back