• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Invention Of Jesus

OK then, only fair to invite Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons and Hindus and whomever else to join the discussion.

Thought occurs though... they can't all be right...
Well.....Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons are Christian splinter sects but Hindus have no connection at all to Christianity or Monotheism.
But I'd love to hear some points of views on religion from all 3 on the forum.
:)

Maybe non of them are. Or worst still, one is....

But which one ?

INT21
If you were to ask such an assembly, "Why is your God the real one and all the others are not?"

Perchance a ubiquitous response, "Because God spoke to Me!"...?

Reactions: Jim
Dr wu,

Maybe they are already here, but feel uncomfortable declaring themselves.

Which is fine by me.

INT21.

Comfortably numb,

...Perchance a ubiquitous response, "Because God spoke to Me!" ..

Cue for a rousing chorus of 'Will the One True God please stand up, please stand up....'.

INT21.

Well.....Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons are Christian splinter sects but Hindus have no connection at all to Christianity or Monotheism.

But I'd love to hear some points of views on religion from all 3 on the forum.
:)
I'm particularly intrigued by Hinduism, which I know next to nothing about, except... :nelly:

This has helped immensely...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism

I *think* some hindus view Jesus as an avatar of one of the hindu gods.

I *think* some hindus view Jesus as an avatar of one of the hindu gods.

That's true....some do indeed.
Ram Dass....nee Richard Alpert was an American seeker and writer who became 'a follower of Neem Karoli Baba. Ram Dass read some Biblical passages to Baba once , who had never read the Bible and knew next to nothing of Jesus,....Neem Karoli Baba said that he thought that man (Jesus) was close to enlightenment. ;)

Dr wu,

Maybe they are already here, but feel uncomfortable declaring themselves.

Which is fine by me.

INT21.
Not sure what you are referring to there.....
?
Oh...you mean those various types of religious personages....I doubt if any Mormons or Jehovas would post here...maybe a few Hindu adherents.

Which may say a lot about their ability to discuss 'uncomfortable' aspects of their belief.

Probably nothing worst than the sound of those pesky Fortians chiseling away at your foundations.

But they can always post 'incognito' , we all do that anyway.

INT21.

Which may say a lot about their ability to discuss 'uncomfortable' aspects of their belief.

Probably nothing worst than the sound of those pesky Fortians chiseling away at your foundations.

But they can always post 'incognito' , we all do that anyway.

INT21.
True.....but I honestly believe that Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses...for the most part..are pretty into their faiths and a place like this wouldn't even come up on their radar. Doubtful they would even post at any forums other than religious based ones. I have known both in my life as patients, 'friends', and the odd colleague...and they don't really get into strange forum posting.

True.....but I honestly believe that Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses...for the most part..are pretty into their faiths and a place like this wouldn't even come up on their radar. Doubtful they would even post at any forums other than religious based ones. I have known both in my life as patients, 'friends', and the odd colleague...and they don't really get into strange forum posting.
Some might conclude... no wonder...

Totally get your point though!

How's the weather in Indiana ?

Dull and chilly here (and dark, it's late evening).

INT21

It's a relatively small group of people who post on here. I reckon.
I know I was hoping for a bigger response to my post about trying veganism, three years ago (I've been checking).
I suspect that, if you've got Christian / Spiritualist leanings, as indeed I have, you become reluctant to post in case you get shot down in flames!

...They shun modern technology and conveniences. ..

With an exclusion for roller blades.

I wonder how much of that article is true.

INT21.

Recycled1,

..I suspect that, if you've got Christian / Spiritualist leanings, as indeed I have, you become reluctant to post in case you get shot down in flames! ..

We don't tend to shoot people down in flames these days. Everyone is entitled to their belief.

You may get the occasional inquiry as to why you chose your particular road in life. Nothing to fear there.

And if someone does offend you, come out swinging and demand an explanation.

INT21.

...I know I was hoping for a bigger response to my post about trying veganism ..

Like you say, not really enough people here to give an opinion. The odds on there being a vegan amongst us are quite low.

It's a relatively small group of people who post on here. I reckon.
I know I was hoping for a bigger response to my post about trying veganism, three years ago (I've been checking).
I suspect that, if you've got Christian / Spiritualist leanings, as indeed I have, you become reluctant to post in case you get shot down in flames!
My daughter has been a vegan for around 20 odd years now - foundation was a primary school trip to the local abattoir (yes, exactly as portrayed in The Simpsons - when Lisa had same experience).

Not so sure you will ever be, 'shot down in flames' here, for whatever belief you may hold, however, if questioned to have a specious foundation, only reasonable to expect a provision of tangible evidence to the contrary.

Hmm...I've been hanging around here since about 2003, previously under a different name. I've learnt what to say and what not to bother to say (I'm an elderly graduate, losing it a bit but still not a total fool.) Some things are open to discusion, some things pooh-poohed with a sneer!
But I still like the challenge of writing limericks! :)

...some things are open to discusion, some things pooh-poohed with a sneer!
Not that I'm personally aware of and doubt that would be permitted here.

Your beliefs... sacrosanct as anyone else here, so what's troubling?

Sorry Comfortably Numb and INT21.
I really shouldn't let myself post things when I've drunk too much wine -it loosens my tongue too much!
Right now I'm smacking my own wrist! (Or something like that.....)

Did his Father not allegedly preach otherwise...?

"I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon them".

Attributed as 'Ezekiel 25:17'.

Don't perceive much in the way of compassion there.
Quite right. But it seems God realised that approach was a mistake, hence the second covenant as laid out in Jesus's teachings.

If you were to ask such an assembly, "Why is your God the real one and all the others are not?"

Perchance a ubiquitous response, "Because God spoke to Me!"...?

Well, in my case it was Jesus. He did more than speak, he turned up in my bedroom. But I don't talk about it because people will think I'm a nut. Prior to that I was a 'don't know'.

Well, in my case it was Jesus. He did more than speak, he turned up in my bedroom. But I don't talk about it because people will think I'm a nut. Prior to that I was a 'don't know'.
Please do tell us what he said.

Please do tell us what he said.

'Remember the Word of God' stands out very clearly. I knew He meant the Word as in John 1:1 - which might be a parable for the static matter that was before the Big Bang.

Edit: I'm not pulling your leg - I may sound whimsical, but that's my way of trying to deal with it. He may have been an hallucination , but it was nothing like any other hallucination I've ever had while in my youth fooling around with drugs, and it was at a particularly happy period of my life, so not stressed or anxious at all. I had been with my second wife about 5 years at the time, and had not taken any drugs since before I met her..

Cochise, had you been praying, or asking for help or enlightenment , or meditating when this happened?
How did you know it was Jesus rather than just some other respected figure /guide?
(I don't think you're a nut!)

( @Cochise - I also don't think you're a nut = respect. But there are a number of ways in which we see / hear things in this world.... which might nearly be the slogan of this forum).

All....please. If you don't know any of the research done by Richard Carrier, or you need a re-accquaintance: do please watch this. The logic of his conclusions on the non-historicity of Jesus is exceedingly-difficult to refute. His evident grasp, & breadth of knowledge on the subject, is just astounding

Cochise, had you been praying, or asking for help or enlightenment , or meditating when this happened?
How did you know it was Jesus rather than just some other respected figure /guide?
(I don't think you're a nut!)

No. I had no belief at the time other than what was left of a normal English C of E upbringing.

How do i know it was Jesus? Not sure how to answer that. He was a Mediterranean looking man with long dark hair and beard, and wearing a dazzling white cloak. I mean WHITE, whiter than you get with Persil. It certainly wasn't Father Christmas. But it could have been some other ethereal being that looked like that, I suppose.

I'm not going to try to rationalise it. It happened, it might have been entirely in my head, but nothing like it has happened before or since - it was nearly 30 years ago now. He did speak to me on one other occasion not long after, but I didn't see Him - fortunately, since I was driving at the time.

Back