• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Janos People (Mann Family Encounter; 1980)

A

Anonymous

I read a book years ago about these aliens from the planet Janos who abducted a family. They told how they'd escaped their planet when it began to be destroyed by natural disasters etc and apparently now reside near Titan in our solar system, waiting for all the wars to cease on Earth before they make themselves publicly known......Has anyone else heard of this occurance?

First time I've come across it
Does the link look like a full transcript?

well, surely it can't be, but it looks like it's all there from what i've scanned over...

Janos had two moons, both small compared with our moon. One of these, the nearer one, called Saton, (pronounced 'Zaton'; but the spelling Saton was given by the Janos people) imperceptibly slowed, millenium after millenium, by the friction of solid tides raised in its rocky crust by the gravitational field of the planet, had crept nearer and nearer to Janos, until it was too close for stability; the cohesive forces which held it together were finely balanced against tidal disruption.
Interesting. In the case of Earth and moon, the tidal action acts to slow the Earth's rotation,and drive the moon further away. In fact, this is the usual thing with satellites that revolve in the same direction as their primary.

But moons in retrograde orbits do slowly spiral in towards the planet, and will eventually break up under the tidal stress. (When they reach the Roche Limit, if anyone wants to Google for more info.) Neptunes large satellite Triton is in this situation - in a few million years it will spiral into its primary.

Retrograde moons are fairly rare, however, probably arising as a result of some collision with another body. But another unusual moon is Phobos, the inner moon of Mars. Phobos is not retrograde, but it is so close to Mars that it revolves faster than the planet rotates, so it rises in the west and sets in the east.

This means that the tidal interaction is the same as for a retrograde moon, and Phobos too is spiralling in towards the planet. This seems similar to what is written above about Saton, so the story is unlikely but not impossible.

I just finished "The Mothman Prophecies" and it struck me that this fits in with Keel's observation of Contactees accounts of ET lifeforms who seem to name themselves and their planets close to names of greek and roman gods...

Janus is, of course, one of the earliest roman gods and is depicted (commonly) with two faces. These two faces would watch through his temple doors in times of war to see who was approaching (the temple doors being shut otherwise). Also, he was generally associated with beginnings, such as sowing crops.

Oh and I've also found references to him such as "custodian of the universe" and signifying past and future wisdom...

So a race from Janos looking for a new beginning and watching the wars on earth? Kinda fits the pattern.

Good catch, JS -- that is a perfect example of Keel's
Ultraterrestrials and how they operate!

As Rynner mentioned about the retrograde moon --
they give just enough "credible" evidence
to be convincing -- then they disappear, leaving
the contactee with egg on their face.

Same pattern over and over.

This is what makes me really wary of folks
like Whitley Strieber, who claim that 2003 will be a
phenomenal year for UFO events. What are "they"
feeding him, and what will be his fall?

Just a thought...
TVgeek

Fair play to the lad (Strieber); I thoroughly enjoyed reading him at the time without actually believing any of it.

Yes but I thought he had experienced his stories and I was left feeling short changed by the grubby endings to his "books". He has a UFO website where you can PAY for pretty much what you get here. Clever, untrustworthy man = conman.

The Human looking ET's look like the types I have been reading about called the Janos People my iPhone camera is bust so can't post a drawing picture of them, so if any else can I be happy X
1644105593427.png
1644105818085.png

Last edited:
They seem so casual, as if describing a visit to a shop.
Something about it all does not convince me, just too casual.
Thanks taras, I had not seen this before. I agree, Victory, and the children hardly seem traumatised, more like they are remembering a trip to the hospital or dentist. Mum can hardly keep a straight face and Dad seems to be smirking. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel the children are remembering an early childhood visit to a large hospital. The girl's drawing of what the alien is wearing is not unlike that of a 1970s NHS nurse uniform:

https://revision-of-nurse-uniforms.eu/else/picture.php?pic=nat0003

(note the hat, belt and watch).

The narrative is almost word-for-word that of Betty and Barney Hill's abduction. especially where he says he got out of the car and was about to walk towards the flying saucer only for his wife to call him back. The single machine serving all the food and drink is straight out of 1970s sci-fi. The dad is a self-employed builder, so did anyone at that time anyone check to see if he had financial troubles? Personally, i feel it is a hoax designed to cash-in on the huge publicity around Speilberg's 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' that had been released in the UK just three months before their 'experience'. However, as always I would love too be proved wrong...!

Last edited:
Thanks taras, I had not seen this before. I agree, Victory, and the children hardly seem traumatised, more like they are remembering a trip to the hospital or dentist. Mum can hardly keep a straight face and Dad seems to be smirking. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel the children are remembering an early childhood visit to a large hospital. The girl's drawing of what the alien is wearing is not unlike that of a 1970s NHS nurse uniform:

https://revision-of-nurse-uniforms.eu/else/picture.php?pic=nat0003

(note the hat, belt and watch).

The narrative is almost word-for-word that of Betty and Barney Hill's abduction. especially where he says he got out of the car and was about to walk towards the flying saucer only for his wife to call him back. The single machine serving all the food and drink is straight out of 1970s sci-fi. The dad is a self-employed builder, so did anyone at that time anyone check to see if he had financial troubles? Personally, i feel it is a hoax designed to cash-in on the huge publicity around Speilberg's 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' that had been released in the UK just three months before their 'experience'. However, as always I would love too be proved wrong...!
The first Nurse looks quite Alien in a pretty way......I hope its true as I wasted £25 on the book.

The first Nurse looks quite Alien in a pretty way......I hope its true as I wasted £25 on the book.
It also seems to be quite a busy road, so where are the corroborating witnesses..?

hang on, found this:

https://www.metimeforthemind.com/jo...-claims-or-alien-abductions-england-1978.html

".... both he and his sister, Frances agreed to undergo hypnosis by hypnotherapist Geoffrey McCartney.

John recalled once under hypnosis that when he had exited the car a UFO had landed in front of them about one hundred feet off the ground. John began to walk into a “strange mist” and then around eight tall figures, dressed in a “tight fitting silver-grey metallic looking suit with balaclava looking helmets” walked past him and took the two women and three children from the car. They then all proceeded to walk into a “column of light” which seemed to lift them from the ground.

They were then in a giant room with several of the tall figures around them. He was taken to another room where he was sat in what resembled a “dentist’s chair” and had a bright light shone into his face and eyes. He claimed the two tall figures were women, and while one examined him closely, another was pressing buttons on a desk to his side. The woman examining him then pulled something down from the ceiling and he blacked out.

He recalled when he awoke there was what looked to be a tall man in the room who spoke to the two women in a language he could not understand. The man then addressed him in English. He stated his name was Anouxia and that no harm would come to any of them.

John further recalled that he had enquired if they were on a spaceship and how was it powered, to which Anouxia replied that “they would be prepared to bargain with the ship’s technology in exchange for them to live on Earth!”

He recalled being shown what he could only describe as a film as if from a “pilot’s view point” who was flying over a desolate rocky landscape that looked as though it had been ravaged by war or a disaster of some kind. He claimed what he was seeing was the a film of Anouxia’s people “collecting their dead" on their home planet."

And:

"Frances, hypnotised completely separately from John, further clarified the film they had seen. After having matched John’s account almost indentically, until they were split from each other before their examinations.

When Frances came to, she claimed she spoke with an “explorer pilot” called Uxiaulia, who had led his “people” from their home planet of Janos. Like John, Frances recalled being shown a film that showed why they had to “find a new home!”

“There were three planets on the screen,” Frances recalled, “he said they were called Sarnia, Sarton and Janos. Sarton, the one nearest to their sun, came out of it’s orbit too close to Janos and began to break up, showering Janos with meteorites. One of these meteorites hit a nuclear power station and set off a chain reaction which devastated their planet!”

Frances even claimed to have seen a picture of a “tall blonde lady and two young children” who were the pilot’s wife, son and daughter, all of whom she said he had told her had died on Janos.

Lastly, Frances said that those that could, fled the planet on a “huge mother ship” and then sent various explorer ships out into space to seek out other planets – and that Earth was a planet they wanted to live on in “exchange for technology!”

Even stranger both Frances and John made passing comments about being given colourless fizzy drinks before they left the ship. When asked what they were and why they were given them, each replied they were told, “It is to help you forget. You must forget for you will be exploited!”*

*Didn't stop them charging for their book

So just two of the five witnesses were hypnotised, yet all five stand there and talk as if they remember it so well and the children produce drawings of the Ufo and occupant...? Hmmm... I'm willing to believe they had an unusual encounter but the hypnotic regression is a big red flag for me,

The link above also features two more British abduction accounts and they are intriguing but also suffer from the curse of hypnotic regression and the involvement of true believer UFO investigators, so hardly objective evidence, which is a great shame.

Last edited:
"a UFO had landed in front of them about one hundred feet off the ground"
Eh?
…. of which the children had no conscious memory and didn’t undergo hypnotic regression yet were able to produce a detailed drawing of it?

*bump*

Came across this two-part podcast that delves into the Mann family case:

Is it an abduction tale? A contactee story? A little bit of both? Sure, why not! Over the course of the past couple weeks this has become my one of my favorite UFO books- The Janos People: A Close Encounter of the Fourth Kind by Frank Johnson. Today, we begin our exploration of this book in one of our rare (very rare) two part episodes

https://saucerlife.com/2021/11/05/the-janos-people-part-1/

It is well worth a listen. What struck me is the high strangeness of their experience before they got involved with hypnosis and there are clear parallels with the 1992 A70 CE3 before that narrative was also subject to hypnosis.

Reactions: BS3
*bump*

Came across this two-part podcast that delves into the Mann family case:

Is it an abduction tale? A contactee story? A little bit of both? Sure, why not! Over the course of the past couple weeks this has become my one of my favorite UFO books- The Janos People: A Close Encounter of the Fourth Kind by Frank Johnson. Today, we begin our exploration of this book in one of our rare (very rare) two part episodes

It is well worth a listen. What struck me is the high strangeness of their experience before they got involved with hypnosis and there are clear parallels with the 1992 A70 CE3 before that narrative was also subject to hypnosis.

What troubles me about the 'hypnotic regression' element is that we're invited to believe these memories were deliberately repressed by the 'abductors', yet every time they are recoverable under hypnosis. What's the point of such a memory erasing 'technology' if it's so easily overcome? Its function is purely dramatic.

We need to focus on the conscious memories to understand this phenomenon - so, yes, it's interesting that there are parallels with the A30 case.

Last edited:
So, having found an active link to this rare, out-of-print book I treated myself to some bank holiday reading. All I knew about the case beforehand was:

1. The short television clip:

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-02121980-ufo-abduction

2. Short articles, e.g.:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...vale-feature-new-book-veiled-vale-mike-white/

3. The excellent four-part podcast from Saucer Life:

It has been this podcast based on the book by Frank Johnson that really opened my eyes to this case and my thoughts have evolved somewhat. What quickly became apparent is how little we know about the author and the family:

The author: Frank Johnson is a retired biologist with 'an interest in extraterrestrial biology.' We are not told why the Mann family chose him to write their account of what happened that night or what fees might have been charged for his services.

The family: John and his wife Gloria, his sister Frances and their two young children Natasha (5) and Tanya (3) who live near Gloucester. We are told these are pseudonyms and the surname 'Mann' isn't mentioned but is later used in the ATV clip in 1980. Again, that it all we know but there is a photo of the family in the book that matches the family who give the short interview to ATV in which they promote Frank's book

Yet we are provided with reams of meticulous details about the Janos people, their planet and their spaceships. In fact, the book begins by describing the Janos people's biology and history before we have even met the Mann family, and so it goes on...

The podcast spells it out very well and as in most 20th Century CE3/contact cases it is inevitably exposed as fiction as the evidence obtained through hypnosis speaks of anachronistic control panels and machinery on the flying saucer. For example, as the flying saucer powers-up for flight, the Janos pilot peers anxiously at a circular gauge with needle (!) and explains to John it measures the power output and they have to be careful not to overload the engine (shades of Star Trek, anyone?). Then we have a box on the floor with mesh on its sides that the Janos speak into to communicate with the rest of the crew (to be fair this was 1978 and it wasn't until 1979 that Kate Bush pioneered the wireless microphone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_microphone).

Then you have the Janos people wearing the 'space pyjamas' as popularised by Star Trek and other space-based science-fiction of the 60s and 70s, *sigh*. Curiously, Frank relates how attractive the female Janos were in these tight-fitting garments, drawing attention to their slender bodies and "small breasts". Yet when the male Janos are depicted wearing "swim trunks" in a film shown to the abductees, there is no mention of any visible bulge caused by the reproductive organs of the males, or indeed any other attributes of the male physique, curious eh...?

So sadly the evidence points to the interior of the flying saucer and the Janos people being fiction drawing on contemporary science fiction and reimagined through hypnosis. But that leaves what happened before they entered the flying saucer, a narrative heavily based on the Betty and Barney Hill testimony. In fact, almost word-for-word as the sequence of 'light in the sky moves through to 'large craft above the road and 'people' looking down at them the windows' makes it difficult to accept. To my mind, this isn't a book about the Mann family meeting the Janos people one night, it is about the Janos people meeting the Mann family. Retired biologist Frank Johnson is clearly indulging himself in his own fantasy about a race of extraterrestrials and the human Mann* family merely serve as vehicles to deliver this fantasy. (*note the name Mann: the Janos people meet Man(n)).

Which leads to me two possible conclusions; the Mann family were hopelessly exploited by a fantasist who took their story for this own personal fantasy, or the Mann family are also a fiction of his imagination. As regards the latter point, all we have is a photo and a brief TV interview with a family using pseudonyms and doing so to promote Johnson's book, and that is about it unless anyone knows any different? Are they a real family or are they actors hired by Johnson to play the roles of the 'anonymous' family? Did he neglect to mention this to ATV? After all, why would a family who desire anonymity go on national television? Moreover, I find it curious that in the age of the News of the World the family could expect to stay anonymous despite showing their faces and revealing the approximate location of where they live, as surely in the 70s a quick tour of the local pubs by a half-decent reporter would soon reveal their true identity.

Well, it is just a theory and I heard mention of Jenny Randles in the podcast, does anyone know if she met the family...?

Last edited:
Just to add, if anyone feels I am a being a bit harsh on author Frank Johnson in describing his work as fiction, he is an open letter he has written to the Janos people:

"An open letter to the Janos People

JOHN, FRANCES, GLORIA and the two little girls Natasha and Tanya visited one of your ships, near Faringdon in Oxfordshire, England, on the date we call 19 June 1978. Anouxia talked to John, and Uxianlia talked to Frances. Both were shown pictures of why you had to leave Janos.

They have told me (Frank, the writer of this book) about their visit, and about all you told them and showed them. John has described the big circular room where you make power, what we call the engine room, and he has told me about the pictures Anouxia showed him on the screen in the big curved table in the navigating room.

Frances has told me what Uxiaulia said, and about the pictures he showed her, of the rockfall, and of life in your planet before rockfall. Natasha has told me about the pictures Akilias showed her on a screen. Gloria does not remember much; perhaps you could now help her to remember, now that memory has come back for the others, as you said it would in time. Gloria now has another child, as perhaps you know.

They have not told other people; it was agreed that I should write in a book everything they told me about the Janos people, and this is the book. If there are mistakes in it, I am to blame.

We felt that it was important for ordinary Earth people, in every part of our planet, to hear the story of the Janos people, and to understand why you want to come here to live. We hope that this is in accordance with your wishes.

People are always afraid of what they do not understand; and when they are afraid they make wrong judgements. People on Earth call your ships UFOs or 'flying saucers', as I am sure you know; and they have many very curious ideas about them. Ordinary people nowadays have all heard about the flying saucers, and many have seen them; more than half the people think they are real ships, and come from another world.

Governments and military leaders, for reasons they have never explained to us, try to cover up the UFO question; and they tell us that the flying saucers, your spaceships, are not real things, but are only in the imagination. Most ordinary people do not accept this, and think the governments and military leaders are trying to hide something which they do not want ordinary people to know about. We, the ordinary people, do not like secrecy; and we think it is time the question of the flying saucers or spaceships was brought out into the open, and understood by everyone.

It is time that you showed yourselves more openly to the Earth people. I do not ask you to take risks; I understand you are anxious about your safety:

but I am sure that arrangements could be made for you to speak through our television system, directly to all the people of this planet.

It is not going to be easy to get people to agree to give you a place to live.

This planet is very crowded, with four thousand million inhabitants; but there are places which are not crowded, where you could live. The difficulty is that every part of Earth - except Antarctica which is quite unsuitable for living in - has some people in it; and they are going to be unwilling to move from their homes. However, if they are given a sufficient incentive to move, they could in some cases be persuaded.

I have written about some possible places in my chapter 14: Homecoming. An island, as you yourselves have suggested, would be very good, because it would be a naturally defined area which would not change; land frontiers can be changed, either way. You will see that I have made one suggestion, which is not an island - in the northlands of Norway, Sweden and Finland, countries which I myself know and love. If you already know English, it is easy to learn Swedish; but the Finnish language is difficult. However, many Finlanders can speak Swedish.

You will need quite a lot of space; all I know about your numbers comes from one thing said by Uxiaulia: "There are enough of us to fill one of your large cities". I have taken this to mean about ten million; if your numbers are much less than this, it makes the problem of finding a place for you that much easier to solve.

How much space you need will depend partly on how you propose to live, and how much land you need for agriculture. It would be unwise to have too little space, because this might lead to disagreements later on, when your children grow up and may feel they have not enough room. Whatever is agreed should remain for a very long time, without causing further problems.

If you like the sea and ships, this will help understanding and friendship; because it is something that many Earth people will understand.

You will be able to help us a great deal with our science and technology, which is a long way behind yours. More knowledge must bring a better life for everyone. At the same time, we can perhaps help you in many ways; it may be that our creative arts are more highly developed than yours. The richness and variety of our cultural inheritance is quite remarkable.

In any case, we have numbers, and numbers mean strength; if Janos and Earth join forces, we shall be strong together, in case some of the unfriendly planets you speak of send their ships to attack us. But we hope not to have any war.

It would be good if your coming back to Earth helped the people of Earth to be more united among themselves, so that they did not waste half their wealth on buying weapons to fight each other with. The ordinary people do not want war; it gives too much power to those in authority.

Let us talk together. If you want to talk to me, John and Frances know where I live; and so does the publisher of this book."

http://www.galactic-server.com/rune/janos2app.html

Wow.

Last edited:
Oh, and more ramblings from Frank, including the admission that Geoff the hypnotist had an interest in Ufology:

"A Note on Credence and Credibility

THERE WILL BE many who will be reluctant to accept this book as factual, for reasons which have more to do with their own personalities and psychological make-up than with the facts of the case.

We are all familiar with the story of the dear old lady who, seeing a giraffe for the first time at the zoo, said: "I don't believe it". Almost daily in some part of the world, people are seeing for the first time a flying saucer, spacecraft or some other UFO manifestation: many are convinced by seeing, sometimes too easily; but there are always some who, like the old lady, can not accept what they see as reality-and of course, many 'sightings' are undoubtedly mistaken.

And yet, if you see an aeroplane, even one of an unfamiliar type, do you deny its reality? I suggest that it is not the strangeness of the flying saucers that make some unwilling to think of them as engineering hardware with real flesh-and-blood people in them: the UFOs are by now becoming so familiar through published pictures, that they are no longer so strange, and the term 'unidentified' in 'unidentified flying object' is fast losing its meaning. I have even heard of a UFO being "definitely identified as an unidentified flying object".

What puts the flying saucers in a class apart is the feeling that they are extra-terrestrial, from another world. And yet we ourselves, as soon as we set foot on the moon, are extra-terrestrial in a modest way. No one suggests that we should not 'believe' in Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin, for all they travelled in a spaceship and wore helmeted suits, not unlike those sometimes described as worn by 'spacemen' from a flying saucer.

'Belief', in fact, is an inappropriate concept when we are talking of UFOs. Either the thing exists or it doesn't; no one's 'belief' affects it one way or the other. Belief is a state of mind, often with complicated psychological connotations. Often it is culturally conditioned, as with religious belief. It has no bearing on objective phenomena, which exist, or not, as the case may be, quite independently of what people believe or think about them.

Having spent very many hours listening to John and Frances, both under hypnotic regression and in normal conversation, I have not the least doubt that they experienced what they say they did. This is the 'face-value' hypothesis, which I have chosen to adopt, as the simplest, most straightforward, and most convincing.

If any reader chooses to prefer an alternative hypothesis, that is his or her privilege. But if he wishes to maintain his own credibility, he must be prepared to show us that his preferred hypothesis is more credible than the one I have chosen.

What are the possible alternative hypotheses?

First, he could prefer the hypothesis that the witnesses invented it all, for some reason known only to themselves, for they have not sought notoriety or reward. While I have learnt to have a great respect for them as personalities, I have to say that they simply did not know enough. They were relating matters, the significance of which often escaped them for lack of background information, but which made immediate sense to me. To take a single example: the thirteen words of the Janos language, which they repeated to me, hang together naturally in a linguistic family relationship; they could not have known this.

Again, the invention of the falling moon theme would require a considerable amount of astronomical knowledge, which they simply did not possess; though they are capable of understanding it when it is explained to them. I would not be so sure that they are yet quite clear about the relativistic space-time physics on which the journey from Janos to Earth depended; but Frances faithfully repeated Uxiaulia's admirably clear explanation of it.

Second, the author could have invented it. I only wish I could; if I had that kind of creative imagination, I could earn a large fortune as a science fiction writer.

Third - a favourite one, this - it was all in the mind of the hypnotist. Not all of it: because some of the most important facts came out in normal recall, on occasions when the hypnotist was not present. It is true that Geoff M'Cartney has an interest in ufology, and has read a number of books about it; but this has chiefly helped us by giving him a personal motivation to be willing to take on the case, and to work very hard on it; it has not contributed factually. Indeed, on the rare occasions on which Geoff's personal background reading may be said to have intruded, it was unhelpful and confusing."

http://www.galactic-server.com/rune/janos2app.html

So, having found an active link to this rare, out-of-print book I treated myself to some bank holiday reading. All I knew about the case beforehand was:

1. The short television clip:

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-02121980-ufo-abduction

2. Short articles, e.g.:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...vale-feature-new-book-veiled-vale-mike-white/

3. The excellent four-part podcast from Saucer Life:

It has been this podcast based on the book by Frank Johnson that really opened my eyes to this case and my thoughts have evolved somewhat. What quickly became apparent is how little we know about the author and the family:

The author: Frank Johnson is a retired biologist with 'an interest in extraterrestrial biology.' We are not told why the Mann family chose him to write their account of what happened that night or what fees might have been charged for his services.

The family: John and his wife Gloria, his sister Frances and their two young children Natasha (5) and Tanya (3) who live near Gloucester. We are told these are pseudonyms and the surname 'Mann' isn't mentioned but is later used in the ATV clip in 1980. Again, that it all we know but there is a photo of the family in the book that matches the family who give the short interview to ATV in which they promote Frank's book

Yet we are provided with reams of meticulous details about the Janos people, their planet and their spaceships. In fact, the book begins by describing the Janos people's biology and history before we have even met the Mann family, and so it goes on...

The podcast spells it out very well and as in most 20th Century CE3/contact cases it is inevitably exposed as fiction as the evidence obtained through hypnosis speaks of anachronistic control panels and machinery on the flying saucer. For example, as the flying saucer powers-up for flight, the Janos pilot peers anxiously at a circular gauge with needle (!) and explains to John it measures the power output and they have to be careful not to overload the engine (shades of Star Trek, anyone?). Then we have a box on the floor with mesh on its sides that the Janos speak into to communicate with the rest of the crew (to be fair this was 1978 and it wasn't until 1979 that Kate Bush pioneered the wireless microphone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_microphone).

Then you have the Janos people wearing the 'space pyjamas' as popularised by Star Trek and other space-based science-fiction of the 60s and 70s, *sigh*. Curiously, Frank relates how attractive the female Janos were in these tight-fitting garments, drawing attention to their slender bodies and "small breasts". Yet when the male Janos are depicted wearing "swim trunks" in a film shown to the abductees, there is no mention of any visible bulge caused by the reproductive organs of the males, or indeed any other attributes of the male physique, curious eh...?

So sadly the evidence points to the interior of the flying saucer and the Janos people being fiction drawing on contemporary science fiction and reimagined through hypnosis. But that leaves what happened before they entered the flying saucer, a narrative heavily based on the Betty and Barney Hill testimony. In fact, almost word-for-word as the sequence of 'light in the sky moves through to 'large craft above the road and 'people' looking down at them the windows' makes it difficult to accept. To my mind, this isn't a book about the Mann family meeting the Janos people one night, it is about the Janos people meeting the Mann family. Retired biologist Frank Johnson is clearly indulging himself in his own fantasy about a race of extraterrestrials and the human Mann* family merely serve as vehicles to deliver this fantasy. (*note the name Mann: the Janos people meet Man(n)).

Which leads to me two possible conclusions; the Mann family were hopelessly exploited by a fantasist who took their story for this own personal fantasy, or the Mann family are also a fiction of his imagination. As regards the latter point, all we have is a photo and a brief TV interview with a family using pseudonyms and doing so to promote Johnson's book, and that is about it unless anyone knows any different? Are they a real family or are they actors hired by Johnson to play the roles of the 'anonymous' family? Did he neglect to mention this to ATV? After all, why would a family who desire anonymity go on national television? Moreover, I find it curious that in the age of the News of the World the family could expect to stay anonymous despite showing their faces and revealing the approximate location of where they live, as surely in the 70s a quick tour of the local pubs by a half-decent reporter would soon reveal their true identity.

Well, it is just a theory and I heard mention of Jenny Randles in the podcast, does anyone know if she met the family...?

Edit:

Just found this:

"Severn Sound Radio special The Janos People, recounting a close encounter of the fourth kind when a family of 5 travelling in a car in Oxfordshire in 1978 were taken aboard a spacecraft, medically examined, shown images of the Janos People’s life and radioactive contamination of their planet, and told of the aliens’ search for a new home. Includes interviews with members of the family involved- John and sister Frances; exobiologist Frank Johnson, author of a book on the incident; hypnotist Geoffrey McCartney. With actors Ann Sutton, Keith Kendry and Richard White recreating the testimony of John and Frances during hypnotic trances. Produced and presented by Chris Eldon Lee, introductory announcers not identified. For LBC’s Network programme, the best of independent radio. Music composed and performed by Vangelis, additional material Steve Hillage and Genesis."

http://bufvc.ac.uk/tvandradio/lbc/index.php/segment/0102900103001

[my bold]

Begs the question as to why recordings of the original hypnosis sessions were not used instead? That is, assuming there were tape recordings made and if not, why not...?

Last edited:
Reactions: BS3
Back